Looking for Alaskan Sheep

2531usmc

WKR
Due to age and arthritis, my hunting days are pretty much behind me. The only hunting I do now is with a spotting scope. That being said, I‘m taking a two week Alaskan vacation at the end of July and seeing a sheep or mountain goat in the wild is on my bucket list. We’re driving from Anchorage down to Steward for a day and then driving from anchorage to Denali and on to Fairbanks.

Can anyone suggest likely viewing spots from the road network where I might be able to see some.

thanks

Clarktar

WKR
Should not be too difficult to check this one off. Drive around cook inlet to the south side then glass back north across the inlet at the slopes you drove all the base of. Lots of sheep. I usually see them around McHugh creek but I imagine they are all over the surrounding area.

Driving the Glen Highway also presents plenty of opportunities to see sheep (I usually see them on the north side of the highway). Sheep mountain area usually has quite a few.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

As said above, lots of sheep viewable on the north side of turnagain arm as you drive the Seward hwy, especially in the windy and falls creek area. Go early morning or late evening-in late July the highway will be jammed with dipnetters and getting back on the hwy is crazy during the midday. Goats are rare in this area.

For goats, glass the mtns north of tern lake-about mile 38 of the Seward. Also a 10 mile detour on sterling hwy will let you view goats above Kenai lake in the Russian gap area. Pull off the hwy at the sunrise cafe near quartz creek and look north.

Jimss

WKR
You can often see both sheep plus goats on the north side of the highway that runs along the Kenaii River towards Soldotna about even with where the Russian River runs into the Kenaii I see them every time I look. You may want to bring binos because they are usually a ways up the hill.

You can often see both sheep plus goats on the north side of the highway that runs along the Kenaii River towards Soldotna about even with where the Russian River runs into the Kenaii I see them every time I look. You may want to bring binos because they are usually a ways up the hill.
Yep, both sheep and goats are up on Round Mtn, hard to see unless binos or scope. This is about a 25 mile detour from the Seward hwy.

oenanthe

WKR
Take the park bus to Polychrome Pass in Denali Park. I've seen rams hanging out right on the road several times.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I took a boat charter from Seward once a few years back, we saw goats on the cliffs above the sea, that was pretty cool. You can also often spot sheep on the side of the mountain if you go on the old Seward highway.

JColony

FNG
All things said above...

Sheep are easily spotted along Turnagain Arm, Beluga Point has a great pull out to have a look from. On the way to Seward, I've seen goats up on the mountains to your left (when southbound) just before you get to Upper Trail Lake. Sheep Mt on the Glenn Hwy is awesome and its an amazing drive. Nice thing about sheep and goats, the little buggers pop! Once you see one, they're hard to miss, LOL! My wife doesn't let me drive anytime we go town the Seward Hwy, my rubber necking makes her nervous, LOL!

AKjon

FNG
You can drive 15 miles into Denali park, to Savage River, in your personal vehicle. I have spotted sheep and caribou on that drive before.

OP
2531usmc

2531usmc

WKR
Due to age and arthritis, my hunting days are pretty much behind me. The only hunting I do now is with a spotting scope. That being said, I‘m taking a two week Alaskan vacation at the end of July and seeing a sheep or mountain goat in the wild is on my bucket list. We’re driving from Anchorage down to Steward for a day and then driving from anchorage to Denali and on to Fairbanks.

Can anyone suggest likely viewing spots from the road network where I might be able to see some.

thanks

OP
2531usmc

2531usmc

WKR
our Alaska vacation is over. We looked long and hard for sheep near Turnigan Arm but did not see any. but during our visit to Denali, I saw maybe a dozen in the mountains near the Savage River turn around.

for me, as an east coast whitetail bow hunter, it was a real thrill. It really puts into perspective the discussions sheep hunters have about how challenging it is.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!