looking for an "everything else" binocular - lightweight & small

Cervid

FNG
Hi everyone,
I have a pair of Maven B2 9x45s that I recently used on my first Western spot and stalk hunt. I liked them. But most of my hunting is in eastern deciduous forest. I really like having binoculars with me on a lot of hunts where most people don't take binoculars. I want to bring a pair of smaller, lighter, less obtrusive binoculars for whitetail hunting in the woods, turkey hunting, waterfowl hunting, and even upland bird hunting (to get a closer look at random stuff I see, not so much the game birds). The best pair of binoculars is the pair you have with you, and too often I'm tempted to leave the B2s behind because of how big they are. I have a pair of 8x30 Leupold Yosemites, and for $100 they are nice, but frankly the optical quality and light transmission is not even close to what I want. The Yosemites weigh 17oz and this strikes me as a good size for binoculars that I can have with me at all times in the field, even on hunts that typically don't see much binocular use.

These are the binoculars I'm considering. If I missed any contenders or if you have any opinions about how any of these compare to others, please let me know. (I want 8x magnification and have ruled out the smaller than 30mm objective lenses because I think there is probably too much of a step down in light transmission/field of view for my purposes). For reference the B2s are 33.25 oz.

Maven B3 8x30 (16.25 oz)
Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 (15.9 oz)
Swarovski CL Companion B 8x30 (17.3 oz)

I've demo'ed the B3s and liked them, but am not too concerned about cost, so if performance for one of the others is better I would probably go with the better performing binocular.

Also, I'm a bit torn about getting something with meaningful optical improvement over the above at the cost of a small weight (and price) penalty, such as:
Zeiss Victory SF 8x32 (21.2 oz) (I understand these have better specs/performance than the comparable Swarovski/Leica models)
Kowa Genesis 8x33 (20.8 oz)
or even the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 (this full size binocular is only 23.5 oz)

Anyways, if anyone has any thoughts or has confronted a similar dilemma, I'd be interested to hear what you think. Thank you.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
I own the Maven B3 8x30s and have looked the the Swaro CL 10x30s. Not a big difference in optical quality. I really enjoy the B3s...will be my main go to for my Midwest whitetail saddle hunting this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a set of swarovski 8x32 el sv. They are my go to for everything that does not require the 12x50s on the pod.
The els have become a buyers market since the introduction of the nl series.

Nethero

WKR
If money is no issue I would suggest trying EL SV 32, SF 32 and NL 32. I would also go as far to suggest trying the Conquest HD 32, it is a gem.

I love the Conquest HD 8x32 and found it to be almost neck and neck with the EL SV 8x32. The EL did however have slightly better (like 15 minutes) extreme low light resolution than the Conquest HD. I love the optics of the SF 8x32, but the distance between the hinges is too small for me to fit my fingers in between! The EL SV is slightly wider and offered just a hairs width enough of room for me to get three fingers around the barrel.

The CL Companion is noticeably a lesser optic than the ones I mentioned (still a great bino!). The others just control glare better, have better resolution in low light, wider FOV, etc.

While I have not tried the NL line of binoculars, they look great and get great reviews! It might be worth your while to look into.

I have never tried the Kowa’s or Nikons but they are supposed to be great, too. One thing that would concern me is the long term viability of Nikon’s support for sport optics. From my understanding it has been rocky for a while.

You have found yourself in a fun spot! Good luck!

ChrisAU

WKR
I keep Kowa XD BDII 6.5x32’s on a RYO harness in the truck for just this thing. Extremely, extremely wide FOV, 18.5 oz, and really good optics for the price.

Take a look at Opticron Traveler BGA ED 8x32s. 16oz. I bought a pair this Spring so I wouldn’t have an excuse to not have binoculars with me while on a hike. I’m using them mostly for birding so far and been quite happy.

As a “carry everywhere” binocular I have a pair of Nikon MHG 8x42 and absolutely love them. They are the binoculars I reach for when I’ll be doing a day of still hunting, stalking, etc. Also a 42mm binocular already has inherent optical advantages over a 32mm. The MHG is about as small and light as it gets for a 42mm binocular and handles much more like a 32mm glass. The MHG image is fabulous. I also have premium 32mm binoculars, but prefer to use the 8x42 MHG for how you are planning on using them.

BTW - I also checked out the Victory SF 8x32 (own a 10x42). It is the best 32mm binocular I’ve ever looked through. It costs almost as much as the SF 8x42. The image, while very impressive for a 32mm binocular, is not quite the easy view provided by the 8x42s. The SF 32 is also about the same size or larger than than the 8x42 MHG (the 32mm NL pure is a big 32mm as well).

Its one of the lowest things on my list currently,
I'm planning on the Mavens as a second set once I have funds to direct there.
Small and light for my lady to use and I'll use them during archery season when she is not using them.
I don't currently own Maven but have looked thru several pairs. I don't think there the absolute best, comparing 10x42 size.
But I believe they are the best value for the money.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
B3 in 8x30 is a very solid choice for a lightweight bino, you won’t even know they are around your neck. Glass is top notch, which if you already have a B series you know.

My Leica Ultravid 8x32 (PRE-HD) where purchased 16 years ago. I pair them with Swarovision 10x42 ELs. The Leicas see about 1/2 of my annual binocular use. The Leicas are under 19 oz, very compact and still hold their own for hiking, tree-stands in the timber, spot and stalk or calling style hunting for elk in timber, predators, etc. They have never been back for service, everything works like new yet….joint is very tight etc.

Before the Leicas I went through Zeiss folding minis….8x20 and 10x25. Later another Zeiss 8x20 non-folder with rubber armour. They were optically inferior and critical to eye placement for an eye glass wearer that got worse as I got older.

Also had a very early set of Swaro 7x30. glass wasn’t that good…think it was mid 1980s but forget now. Only had them months. The Zeiss mini 10s were better.

Anyway, for my use and eyes, the Leica Ultravid has performed very well for that size of binocular and I have preferred it to Swaro 8x32s ELs during a couple of extensive side by side tests in the field. (Love the Swarovision 10x42s for the past 9 years).

I even tried a pair of Leica 8x20 Ultravid double folding minis when they came out. They had decent glass but again were to critical on eye placement for me wearing glasses.

YMMV. Good luck.

JMatt

FNG
I carry a pair of Leitz Trinovid 10x40BA that I inherited from my dad 25 years ago. They are light and compact. Most of the time I forget I have them in my coat pocket. When people look through them they all say the same thing: “Wow!” If the new Leica Trinovid/Ultravids are as good, they will be my next pair.

TheGDog

WKR
Some time for sh*ts and giggles checkout the inexpensive Vortex Diamondback compacts 8x26mm. They are very handy! Eye relief is VERY generous for us eyeglass wearers! I like having them in the truck for those times when you're curious and want to throw up a quick hand check of something you thought you saw. Or when I go to our local Dog Park that's next to a Naval Golf Course I use em to check out the wildlife and waterfowl in there.

Or if I'm hunting in really thick places with bow where having the 10's isn't a benefit.

Or sometimes if I'm taking the 15's with me to glass opposing ridges, but the habitat is thick/chaparral I may take the 8x26 on my chest for quick hand checks.

Only thing is though they don't provide you with an image that's lighter than what your eye sees when light starts to fade out. Ya gotta do at least 8x42 if you want it to provide you help at first and last light in that regard.

Nikon MHG in 8x42 would be a great mid range bino for what you're asking. Get on LL Bean's email list and you can usually get them 25% off retail at some point in the year.

I have a set of the CL Companion 8x30s (the post-2018 model), and they're definitely an unobtrusive take anywhere binocular.