Looking for backcountry alpine lake fishing near Denver.

dado5

FNG
This is not technically hunting related but my son (14 y.o) is showing some interest in the outdoors and really likes camping. We live in Pennsylvania. He also likes fishing (when he catches fish). We are going to fly into Denver airport in mid august for 3-4days. I am hoping to do a 3 day, 2 night backpacking/fly fishing trip. I don't want the hike to be too hard and turn him off, maybe 1-3 miles in to a lake we can fish and then overnight at, and repeat the next day. A loop would be great. IF I can get him to enjoy the western mountains as much as me maybe he will come elk hunting with me or we could make this an annual affair.

I was thinking of going to the RMNP since I have a fishing book and nice maps, but I know it will be crowded in mid august. Does anybody have any recommendations of where to go in the park or other spots within a 2 or 3 hour drive from Denver? He also says he would like to see some animals so I will bring my spotter and I'm sure wherever we go I can find some.

Dukejb

FNG
Fern Lake is great and within your distance range. I’ve only done it out and back, but it could easily be connected with several others to form a multi day trip. There is also a free shuttle that runs in RMNP with multiple stops, so you don’t necessarily have to do a loop. The one obstacle you may run into is getting backcountry camping permits in the park. The Indian Peaks Wilderness could be another good option, but I haven’t done enough exploring in there yet to be helpful on specifics. Good luck!

hobbes

WKR
You could find what you are looking for near Leadville. I'm not sure how good the fishing is. I never found big fish, but definitely plenty of small brookies.

OP
D

dado5

FNG
didn't even think of campsites being booked. I checked and they are pretty much reserved in the rmnp. I am so used to just going into wilderness units that I wasn't even thinking. oh well. will just try some wilderness areas west of Denver. Would love to be able to find some lakes with fish though, to keep my son interested.

circles

FNG
Check out Echo Lake Park. There's camping, hiking, fishing. Use it for your back up plan because it's not exactly a wilderness experience, but you should be able to make it happen.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
Chapman lake in the Hunter Frying Pan Wilderness. You can camp at the trailhead and it is a little over a mile to the lake, not a real difficult hike. High country and beautiful. There are a couple more lakes you can access in the same area, Sawyer I believe is another one. It is between Leadville and Aspen.

feanor

WKR
I second Indian Peaks. Avoid RMNP and the permits, fees., people. Only plus would be that you might see more animals.