Looking for Binoculars-Overwhelmed with options.

dtm6582

FNG
Hi all,

Reposting since I think my first may have been accidentally deleted.

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a pair of binoculars. I gave my now ex-wife a pair of Vortex Talons 8x42 for her birthday a few years ago. They were the first 'real' binoculars I've experienced and having used those I can't really go back to something super cheap. But I'm in the dreaded world of over-internet-analyzing and I'm hoping you folks might be able to help.

I'm not a frequent use of binoculars. I bet these will get used less than 10 times a year. And I don't really hunt much anymore (although if I found a local hunting buddy I would). I know this is super broad but I'm really looking for a good pair for 'general use'. They'll come along to scenic areas. I've taken a pair on a trip to the coast and can't imagine going back without them. Maybe hiking on occasion. I also live on a hillside in the city so the occasional..."what's that smoke coming from" viewing. Of course most of the interesting viewing happens early and late so low light performance is still important.

I'm a very value sensitive person. Not afraid to spend a bit of money but I want to get a lot of bang for my buck. Which leaves me here. I'm trying to decide what my budget is/should be. I know with optics you generally get what you pay for, but I'm not sure what my target $ should be. Keep in mind, I've only ever used those Talon HD 8x42's.

So, first question. Am I giving up a lot by going to an 8x32 over an 8x42? I've done my Googling homework and it sounds like not really, but I would really like to hear from some real world users. The smaller size is very appealing.

Second, if you were me (based on the limited info I've given you of course) what would you buy (and 8x32 or 8x42 or something else)?
Mavic C1 ~$325
GPO ED line ~$400
Meopta Meopros? ~$500
Zeiss Conquest? ~$1000 (I'd be buying these used and I can't imagine going over $1,000 given my infrequent usage).
Swarovski? Oofa. I mean...I see Doug has an open box model for around $1500 but wow, that's a price tag that's hard to swallow. Best of the best for sure but they have models that are more expensive than my first car.

Anyway, that's a lot of rambling. Thanks in advance for any info you guys might have. I've been reading around this forum a lot and it seems like a pretty well informed group. Looking forward to your opinions.

LightFoot

WKR
Swaros, Leica, and Zeiss are the best.

For value I would go Meopta, Maven, or Leupold.

Spend your money on experience before you spend it on fancy gear.

With your stated needs, I see no reason to spend more than
$500 for binoculars. You don't use them enough to spend serious cash IMO. $500 can buy some pretty good glass. "Pretty good" is probably all you need.

If you want value, grab the C1 Mavens and be done. Sterling reviews. You’d need a big jump in $$ for a significant benefit. If you want to split hairs on some models that guys like in the mid range glass, go ahead but you won’t find more consistent and wide spread love for glass than the Mavens. I bought a pair last year and they’re awesome.

For the ultra value look at Leupold Yosemite 6x30 or Kowa Genesis 6x30. Excellent glass especially for infrequent use/ not primarily western hunting

Don’t know how good the mavens are or even cost. But I’d say for what your looking at, look at a set of Vortex in either 8x42 or 10x42. I’d suggest the Viper or Diamondback. Catch them on a sale and you will be more than happy with them.

OP
D

dtm6582

FNG
Haha, I can't tell you guys how happy I am to see you recommending less expensive sets. Given my usage it's what I was thinking. Those Talons were pretty awesome and I think they were around the $300 mark. I'd like to get something a little better now that I've gotten a taste but the high end range is a lot for something that will see low use. If I was frequently hunting or birding I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to go for the Swarovski's.

Since I keep seeing the name over and over as pretty great I'm leaning towards the Maven's. That brings me to another question? B3's (8x30) or C1's (8x42). I'm really curious about the practical effects of the smaller size. I know that equals less light but how important is that? There's a decent chance these will get pointed up at the night sky at some point. Again, I've researched this but there's a lot of disagreement out there as to how much of a difference it makes.

To add: Vortex is also definitely on my list of maybe's.

Haha, I can't tell you guys how happy I am to see you recommending less expensive sets. Given my usage it's what I was thinking. Those Talons were pretty awesome and I think they were around the $300 mark. I'd like to get something a little better now that I've gotten a taste but the high end range is a lot for something that will see low use. If I was frequently hunting or birding I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to go for the Swarovski's.

Since I keep seeing the name over and over as pretty great I'm leaning towards the Maven's. That brings me to another question? B3's (8x30) or C1's (8x42). I'm really curious about the practical effects of the smaller size. I know that equals less light but how important is that? There's a decent chance these will get pointed up at the night sky at some point. Again, I've researched this but there's a lot of disagreement out there as to how much of a difference it makes.

10x42 is pretty small, plenty small for me. You won’t want to give up the early and late performance unless you’re only hunting dark timber.

I have the meopro 8X42 and my wife has the meostar 8x32. Honestly they are both excellent. I prefer the 8x42 because the size is better along with longer eye relief. A lot of times I don't know what I like and dislike until after I use something for a while. That's what makes these purchases so difficult

I have the b3 8x30 and they are phenomenal. Highly recommend them. Optically they give up very little to a full size 8x42, and only at the extremes of light. They were extremely close to an older set of Zeiss conquest 10x42 that I compared a few weeks ago. Do a search and I posted a big write up on them.

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
For casual use, you might want to look into the Canon Image Stabilizing (IS) binoculars

OP
D

dtm6582

FNG
...A lot of times I don't know what I like and dislike until after I use something for a while. That's what makes these purchases so difficult

+1 there. That's why whenever I'm buying something that will see use over many years I go down the over-analyzing road and end up posting on forums trying to get advice like this.

These are tough purchases. They're expensive. Pretty much everyone wants best for the buck. And like you said, it's hard to know what you like until you use them a while. Especially when the market is flooded with marketing/advertising. Gets to be really hard to know what's an unbiased review and what's sales materials.

For me right now, that's the question between 8x42 and 8x30/32. Mentally I want the 8x42, but logically I'm thinking that 8x30's would get used a lot more just due to their more compact size and reduced weight. Ugh, decisions decisions.

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I currently use 10x42 Leica Noctivid binoculars. Absolutely amazing.

I normally use 10x42s, but I've had 10x30 binoculars as well. The only downside I saw with the 30mm objectives was lesser low light performance (as was expected). If you are not concerned with low light, then you might want to go with the 8x30 for weight savings.

If you do decide on the 8x30, my recommendation would be to buy an alpha binocular. The top quality glass will allow a 30mm binocular to outperform all mid priced $500-$1000 binoculars in any lighting conditions, even if the cheaper binos have larger 42 or 50mm objectives

The spotter is something a few guys don’t bring due to weight. Never really heard that about 10x42 binos. They aren’t heavy at all. But if you’re only or primarily in dark timber the 8x30 will treat you good.

maverick2

FNG
+1 there. That's why whenever I'm buying something that will see use over many years I go down the over-analyzing road and end up posting on forums trying to get advice like this.

These are tough purchases. They're expensive. Pretty much everyone wants best for the buck. And like you said, it's hard to know what you like until you use them a while. Especially when the market is flooded with marketing/advertising. Gets to be really hard to know what's an unbiased review and what's sales materials.

For me right now, that's the question between 8x42 and 8x30/32. Mentally I want the 8x42, but logically I'm thinking that 8x30's would get used a lot more just due to their more compact size and reduced weight. Ugh, decisions decisions.
[/QUOTE

I was plagued with the same dilemma -- sweating over 8x32 vs 8x42. I knew the 8x32s would get used more because they simply fit in more pockets and are less of a hassle to pack around, but was worried about diminished performance in low light (I mostly hunt dark timber.) Had narrowed my choices to Maven and Meopta. Maven's demo program made it risk free to try stuff out, so ordered a pair of their demo B3 8x30s, fully expecting to send them back. After two evenings of using them side by side with a Leica 3.5-10x42 rifle scope as it got dark, I realized I could see things in the dark for quite a while after the Leica (even with the Leica dialed back to 6x). The little Mavens did NOT go back in the mail, and three years later would make the same purchase. GREAT bang for the buck, and these things go everywhere with me. I bought a pair of Maven's C-series binos (I believe they are 7x28) this past Christmas for my daughter to hunt with based on my Maven experience. Extremely pleased with them, but to me the added $$ for the B3s are well worth it -- these little binos punch way above their weight class.

PNWGATOR

WKR

Maven C.1 appears to be the easy answer.

OP
D

dtm6582

FNG
Alright, Maven C.1 8x42 has been ordered. Should be here Wednesday. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll be sure to update once I have them in hand.

But of course that can't be the end of it! I've basically decided to go with a good old 8x42 and wait for Christmas season to see if I can snag a deal on a smaller 8x32 or 8x30. To get great results from that size I'm going to spend some money on them. Worst case they knock the c.1's out and I sell them for a slight loss. More likely I'll end up keeping both. Probably in the same closet as my 5 guitars. Man gear piles up.

I'll probably start a new thread to ask about this, but I somehow stumbled across Swarovski Habicht 8x30's. They seem like the typical super high quality from Swarovski but for a much more reasonable, albeit still high, price. I understand they're porro's over roof prisms. Not sure how much difference that really makes though. Anyone have experience with these or other smallish porro binoculars?

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased my Maven C1's earlier this year and haven't looked back. I hunt with others that use a lot of Vortex gear, and while the Vortex are nice, the Mavens are definitely a step up. I think they are fantastic for the price.