Looking for daypack suggestions

Lariat

FNG
I currently have an Eberlestock X2 that has served me well for several years, but thinking of trying something else. Really considering a Sitka Flash 20, but open to suggestions.
I really don't use my pack except on my western hunts, which is usually just one trip about 10 days. I have a pack for hauling heavy. Just looking for a good day pack that wont break the bank for 1 trip per year.

muddydogs

WKR
Eberlestock X2. Couldn't resist, but if you looking for a cheap pack that works as well as the Eberlestock and only plan on using it for 1 trip I would say you already have a winner. Other then that Mystery Ranch, Kuiu and Kifaru all make good packs but they will break the bank.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
Along the line of the Sitka Flash 20 is the Badlands Superday. I've never used one myself since I use my "hauling" pack as a day pack but I hunt with a guy that uses one and he raves about it. Things I've noticed about his are:

• The suspension looks pretty good for a day pack.
  • The material is very quite (much quieter than my Cordura pack) and is water proof.
  • It has great organization and can carry his bow.
  • It appears to be cheaper than the Sitka Flash 20.

nphunter

WKR
The flash 20 is a great day pack, don't plan on packing anything in it besides a few pieces of gear. It is perfect for just day hiking from the vehicle or a base camp. Back breaths well also which is a huge plus for me, the Horn Hunter Full Curl frame is a good day pack also that you can haul a good load out with on your way out to get your frame.

OP
L

Lariat

FNG
I just did a little more research, and it looks like the Flash 20 would be a side step rather than much of a change. Maybe the Ascent 12 would better suit me????

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out nimrod they may have an option. I can vouch for The pinnacle day pack as being being bomb proof, well balanced and comfortable.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used an X2 numerous years, what has you wanting to switch? Its a decent pack for what it is and sounds like you aren't leaving the category it serves in your browsing so why change?

I moved into an mystery ranch NICE with load lifters I can tuck down so its a shorter frame when day hunting but can flip over to load hauling as well mainly so I wasn't making the day pack vs haul pack change at the truck. I got burned on that deal forgetting my range finder in my day pack when heading out to haul but still having huntable tags, had a medium range shot opportunity that I wasn't comfortable with a guestimated range and lost out trying to close the gap. Also the PALS belt allows me to run customizable pocket setups, I found the belt pockets on the X2 limiting.

bruno59

WKR
I have used the ascent 12 for a couple of years it is a nice pack but you can't take a lot of gear in it but you don't know it is even on back at times it is light and does a good job for me on day hikes and day hunts

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nimrod, been using it for a number of years now. I currently have it rigged with a Bowsnatcher so I can use trekking poles and put the bow on the back. However, I do need a day pack. I'll be switching next month to the Kuiu Ultra 1800. That way I can bag any game up, flip the pack down, and strap the meat bags to the frame, reattach the pack and hump it back to camp. Seems to be a good solution for me.

Have any of you guys seen this Bowsnatchher thing? Works perfectly. I do wish it were made a little lighter however.
HjTGsWP.jpg

This was taken during last year's rifle season. Takes a little practice to be able to get your bow centered on the plate, but that's it.

I used an X2 numerous years, what has you wanting to switch? Its a decent pack for what it is and sounds like you aren't leaving the category it serves in your browsing so why change?

I moved into an mystery ranch NICE with load lifters I can tuck down so its a shorter frame when day hunting but can flip over to load hauling as well mainly so I wasn't making the day pack vs haul pack change at the truck. I got burned on that deal forgetting my range finder in my day pack when heading out to haul but still having huntable tags, had a medium range shot opportunity that I wasn't comfortable with a guestimated range and lost out trying to close the gap. Also the PALS belt allows me to run customizable pocket setups, I found the belt pockets on the X2 limiting.

The inability to use the belt pockets on the X2 is a biggee for me - once the belt is tightened, you need three hands to open, get anything, like ammo, range finder, binocs, camera out of the pockets. I wrote them about it, but they were not interested in correcting the issue or modifying the packs...

bud

FNG
Best daypack I ever had on my back is old Kifaru T3. Internal frame. If you can find one.

FURMAN

WKR
I am not sure what exactly you are looking for but REI is having an anniversary sale that ends today. There are some nice day packs for great prices.

I have two for these situations. Nimrod pinnacle/wilderness combo pack and a Kifaru hunting duplex and apollo bag. if you like fanny packs, go with the nimrod. Kifaru apollo for a framed pack. Both are capable of carrying meat out the first trip. The apollo is much better suited for a big loads. But, the nimrod with wilderness bag will haul a whole deboned deer too. So, it isn't incapable. Both were excellent investments. God Bless

wesfromky

WKR
I had a flash 20, and it was ok, but once it got colder, it didn't have the room for insulation layers.

Last November, I bought a Kifaru Antero for day hiking and EDC, then a hunting frame with a woodsman this spring. The woodsman has kinda become my go to day hiking setup now, as it compresses really well, and the extra weight isn't really all the big of a deal. It will be my hunting pack this fall for sure. Plenty of room, and with the meat shelf, I should be able to pack out a whitetail without too much trouble.