Looking for feedback on my packing list.

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Packstack.io Packing List

I'd like to realiably go out for 3 to 5 days and hunt in the Northeast for bear or any larger game if I win a draw.

Things I'm not sure or not settled about or would like feedback on:

Tent/Shelter
Bag - I've had a lot of analysis paralysis. Think I'm going to stick with this.
Kuiu guide clothing - I don't want to feel overdressed. I've been wearing them now to try them out and like them. They vent well.
Boots - Not sold on Zamberlan. I'd like something quality on my feet. My feet ALWAYS run cold on long sits.
Bow - LEAVE ME ALONE HERE I JUST BOUGHT IT, LOL
Land navigation - I realize redundancy here. I like to do it with MGRS, compass map protractor always. GPS if I feel like I'm really screwed on my grid location.
Wet Weather Gear - Havent purchased these yet, open to suggestions. Damn its expensive. Will buy second hand.
Cold Weather Gear - I want zip up.
Gloves - Hands always run cold.
Water filtration - I dont like trail shot. Katadyn Be Free seems nice.
---------
Binos - This is an area I really need some suggestions. It's been my experience that we don't have a lot of wide open territory to glass. I'm mostly in state forest land. If I did find a ridge I'd be glassing into evergreen and maybe I could catch power lines. However, I would like a tripod to use with it sitting down that's as light as I can get it. Everyone says dump money into glass and I have no qualms about that. It keeps its resale value. I'd also like something I could take out to colorado at some point too for Elk.
---------
If there's anything major I'm missing. My mind feels like mush right now. I'm prone to the occasional brain fart.

bsnedeker

WKR
The one thing that stands out to me is your shelter...that is a floorless setup with no liner, correct? For hunting the NE part of the country I would be looking at a fully enclosed tent due to bugs. The only other thing is that if you can consolidate all of your electronics so they all use the same battery type (AA or AAA) you'll thank me...seems minor but it's annoying to carry two types of backup batteries in my experience.

Clothing is too subjective for me to comment on, but it looks like a good setup to me!

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Awww shit. That isnt the all in weight with that thing?

Alright, time to revisit this. I feel you on the AA only. Tried, cant make it work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I thought it looked pretty good.

One thing I discovered this last trip is instead bringing an actuall backpacking pillow, which is worthless for my taste. Is I brought a pillow case and stuffed all my extra clothes in it.

Then I used my guide lid for a side pillow. It was the most comfortable sleeping I've had.

Except my bags a little small.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Used to use a clean t shirt in military for that! So done with that. Went through 3 pillows until i found this one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I like to go in with two head lamps, there is nothing worse than being in the middle of cutting up game or walking the trail and have to change batteries out of a headlamp or worse yet have one break on a trip and rely on that little keychain light to process game or hike out in the dark. It’s worth it’s weight in gold! If you go with rechargeable headlamps you can dump all the batteries and weight should be the same.

I also added a tourniquet to my med kit this year, it would be a lifesaver if you needed it.

i am with you on the pillow, it’s my comfort item. But you can make it lighter by packing your cloths in a small pillow case and using it. I went as far as bringing a very light inflatable pillow to put inside the case with the cloths and it worked perfect. If I don’t sleep well I don’t hunt well.

get the best 10x42 binos you can. If you are as weight conscience as you seem a stick will work wonders to steady them while glassing. Tripods are heavy, really nice to have if thats your style of hunting but it seems like you plan to be moving more than sitting.

I have used a lot of water purification. Recently the simple sawyers filter or steri pen but my buddy took a gravityworks 2.0 and that’s all we used for 9 days in the MT. Fast and easy, it’s my next purchase. Only sucks when the creek is small and we used a dirty water bottle to fill it that I had for the sawyers.

550 rope or cordage? (I had a shoelace break mid trip this year and the cordage was well worth its weight.)

TP &/or wet wipes are a must, or you are a better outdoorsman than I will ever be.

Some others to think about. Water bladder or bottle, bear spray pending the area, extra set of socks (wet sweaty feet = poor foot care and cold blistered feet), warm hat and regular hat, toothbrush, chapstick, one or two emergency fire starters or cotton in Vaseline and forget the chapstick.

Last edited:
OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
The headlamp is rechargeable and takes AAA batteries. That's why I got it. So, if by chance I don't need to do that I could utilize those elsewhere if needed as well.

You know, I was using my bow yesterday to balance this little vortex monocular I have and that seemed to work well. I'm worried about what it will gunk up with though. I'm going to be glassing sitting down always, so honestly a stick will always be available in the woods where I'll be. If I go out to CO I'll throw a lightweight tripod on there maybe. I WOULD like to record some nature with my digiscope though, so maybe I can find something reasonable.

Why 10x42? Do you think thats too strong for the woods? I suppose if I wasnt going to pack a spotting scope it would have to be a 10x42 if I was using it out west?

Yea, the pack isnt quite done yet. Wet wipes always. 550 always. Either a 10mm or spray, unsure yet. I pack socks for days. Darn tough is all I use but I would be open to recommendations on a style of their sock to keep my feet warmer.

I'll wear a hat if its cold. Other than that, I hate hats. I'd rather slap sunscreen on.

Thanks for the feedback!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Why 10x42? Do you think thats too strong for the woods? I suppose if I wasnt going to pack a spotting scope it would have to be a 10x42 if I was using it out west?

Yea, the pack isnt quite done yet. Wet wipes always. 550 always. Either a 10mm or spray, unsure yet. I pack socks for days. Darn tough is all I use but I would be open to recommendations on a style of their sock to keep my feet warmer.

Personally, I'm a fan of 8x with quality glass. I feel like they have more resolving power when hand held. Plus, when searching tree lines that are close the 8x is easier to use to me.

For keeping your feet warm, no sock recommendations. Some general points though that might contain something helpful.

No footwear on earth will keep your feet warm if your legs are cold. I have La Sportiva G2's that are sized large to avoid compression even when wearing thick wool socks. Yet, my feet have been cold in 10 degree weather after spending about 20 minuets laying in snow with inadequate insulation on the rest of my body.

For extreme cold, VBLs and over boots are useful. However, not many people are out in conditions where those tools become necessary. The nerd in me cannot help bringing them up though.

Keep your legs and core warm and your hands and feet will stay warmer. To quote someone older and wiser than me "keep the pipes warm." Size shoes so they don't compress your feet with whatever socks you will use. Doubling up on socks in shoes that are not sized for it is a common mistake. The compression reduces blood flow and you end up with colder feet.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
A 10x Bino isn't too much. it's all personal preference. Here in WA I use 12x due to the versatility. But If I had no intention of glassing further than 500yds I would be more than comfortable with a 10x.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Sawyer mini for water filtration + backup individual iodine tabs. Crispi Guide for insulated cool weather boots. SO Silex for solo shelter, larger floorless if multiple people.

Alpha60

FNG
I guess, the only other thing is that if you can consolidate all of your electronics so they all use the same battery type.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been able to consolidate all of my electronics to use the same charger type but did find a single charging cord with USB-A on one and and USB-C, current Apple plug, and USB micro on the other. Long versions of these are readily available but short ones are harder to find. I found mine on Amazon but now see that particular cable is no longer available.