Looking for first hand feedback on new Kuiu Kenai ULTRA Hooded Jacket

Skull10

WKR
I am looking to buy a warm synthetic puffy for my archer elk hunting system. I have all kuiu clothing now, so I would like to stay with that camo color. I was looking at the Kuiu Kenai ULTRA Hooded Jacket and wanted to see if anyone has any first hand experience with this one? I want something warm and synthetic. I tried their Super Down Ultra puffy and I was not impressed with the warmth.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried the original kenai? I’m curious to hear from people that have used both. I really hope they fixed hood.

I've had the original for 3-4 years and it's a really great jacket. I just got the new one last week, but haven't worn it yet. I'll try to use it some this weekend and see what the differences are.
One thing I did notice was the fit around the wrist and forearm of the new one is roomier.

jgreen798

FNG
I would have to assume that it is as good as any of the older Kuiu synthetic puffy jackets. I have the now discontinued Teton puffy from Kuiu and I really like it as an early to mid season insulation layer. I wore it over a long sleeve fleece layer during the last few days of first archery elk season last year while there was snow on the ground and it was plenty warm for me.

A lot of the insulation pieces from Kuiu are deceivingly warm for how light weight and some times thin as they are. I think if you're wearing a base layer and possibly a mid layer fleece you'll be plenty warm.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Have you tried the original kenai? I’m curious to hear from people that have used both. I really hope they fixed hood.

What was wrong with the hood? I have the original and that hood is better than every other hood I've had on a jacket. But I'm generally not a hood guy, I hate stuff that covers my head especially when hunting.

MT_Wyatt

WKR

I’ve used both - hated the hood and wrist cuffs on the original. The new version is vastly better for me - better fit, I like the zippers more, and way better cut. Hood is just like the super down jackets now. The cord locks in the collar of the kenai bother me more than the super down jackets. I think the hood is excellent now.

This is one of my favorite jackets - I use it any time I’m working hard or active all day and I need something besides lightweight fleece. I’m actually going to grab the vest version for archery season and use it with a peloton 97 hoody, instead of carrying a fleece like a 240......

I wish they would make a thin hoody pullover version to use instead of a heavy fleece mid layer, but the snap shirt kind of covers that - I think the snap shirt outer fabric is too delicate though....

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What was wrong with the hood? I have the original and that hood is better than every other hood I've had on a jacket. But I'm generally not a hood guy, I hate stuff that covers my head especially when hunting.

Some of it could just be my head shape, left way too much face exposed. I know companies are trying to not hinder vision but this was like a beanie with a flap covering my neck. The adjustments were overly complicated. I get trying to dial it but it’s a real pain and impossible with gloves. Felt like I had to pull six inches to get one inch of tightness. In contrast the Sitka kelvin lite hoodie is slightly elastic with one simple toggle in the back. I’ve found that to be very popular with mountaineering brands and very effective.

I think kuiu was using adjustments meant for a true outer layer on a mid layer, just didn’t work for me. Their guide and chugach hoods function well.

I am looking to buy a warm synthetic puffy for my archer elk hunting system. I have all kuiu clothing now, so I would like to stay with that camo color. I was looking at the Kuiu Kenai ULTRA Hooded Jacket and wanted to see if anyone has any first hand experience with this one? I want something warm and synthetic. I tried their Super Down Ultra puffy and I was not impressed with the warmth.

When you say not impressed what do you mean? Did you try it in the field for a season or just on at home?

I’m looking for a puffy and rain jacket that can take the place of my Sitka heavyweight hoodie (fleece lined and next to zero pack- ability) during my archery backpack hunts in August and September. The lows I’m seeing are about 40 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
I had it on this past weekend doing some winter camping. Temps got down to 30 degrees at night. I had it on for a while outside and had to put on a fleece jacket over it.

I was cold in the 20 degree slick bag and put this on. I was still a bit cold. I guess I was expecting more, I'm just not impressed with the Kuiu Super down puffy.

JD619er

WKR
In my opinion it's not as well made as the original. I've had mine since two weeks after they came out. Feels less lofty that the original. Also the stretch cord in the drawn hem and hood feels more like rope than a stretch chord and I expect mine to break at some point. I like the cuffs better but they're obviously cheaper than the other ones to make. Also one less chest pocket and still and increases price kind of grinds my gears a little bit.

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
In my opinion it's not as well made as the original. I've had mine since two weeks after they came out. Feels less lofty that the original. Also the stretch cord in the drawn hem and hood feels more like rope than a stretch chord and I expect mine to break at some point. I like the cuffs better but they're obviously cheaper than the other ones to make. Also one less chest pocket and still and increases price kind of grinds my gears a little bit.
Thank you so much for the honest opinion. I'm set on buying a FL Uncompadre puffy

Jaspe

FNG
I was planning to buy the Kenai Ultra Hooded jacket for a November Elk Hunt in Colorado. The reviews on the ultra seem mixed? My plan was to use it as insulation when active. I would use heavier insulation for glassing, or while on horseback. Thoughts on the jacket for this use? This is planned as a guided day hunt - returning to base camp each night - Flattops area first week in November. Thanks for your feedback. Also any thoughts on Peloton 200 as a mid layer?

I love my kenai jacket. I’d probably run a Peloton 240 instead of the 200. My 240 is always with me on colder weather hunts.

Jaspe

FNG
I love my kenai jacket. I’d probably run a Peloton 240 instead of the 200. My 240 is always with me on colder weather hunts.
[/
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard many positives on the Kenai but some of the comments on the new Kenai ultra are not as positive.
Would the 240 work layered under the Kenai Ultra. I am planning to use ultra Merion 210 1/4 zip or synthetic base layer. (Have medium and heavy weight)

Jaspe

FNG
I used both jackets (Kenai & Super Down) on a third season Elk hunt this year in Colorado. Temperatures were milder than some years but lows were in the high teens. I was pleased with the performance of both jackets. I used the Kenai in active situations under a Yukon shell. Added the Super down for early morning horseback rides and glassing. I cannot speak to a comparison with the original Kenai but very pleased with the current model. I used midweight merino base under the Kenai.

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I used the kenai everyday in Alaska this year on a caribou hunt. Merino short sleeve, 145 merino long sleeve, kenai, chugach rain jacket. Everyday I was comfortable in 30s with a steady wind and high humidity/ rain. Will be adding a peloton 240 vest underneath for this years trip just for that little bit extra.

I had a down jacket but only had to pull that baby out once on a really bad weather day when we were stationary all day under a tarp. Kenai with the pit zip is stellar. You could literally wear that thing in almost any weather situation with any layering system. Warmer and lighter than a fleece. Mine is the non-hooded version

Brendan

WKR
Bumping this thread. I had the original Kenai in size Large for years. Loved it except for the wrist. Just had a chance to try the new Kenai Ultra in Large, and it feels big on me. Anyone notice the same thing? Debating returning it for a Medium but feeling like I'm right on the line...