Looking for first lite wind breaking outer layer

jboyce23

FNG
Whats the best first lite layer that cuts the wind? Looking for a lightweight shell to use in conjuction with layering if it gets a lil cold. I bow hunt in SE have cold days covered just need something to fill the inbetween hot as hell- cold as hell gap.

I got you fam

Welcome.

Another vote for the catalyst. It is their latest iteration of a soft shell. I think in general the FL soft shells are a little less wind and water resistant than Sitka or UA (based on my experience) but they breath better and are quieter. If I really wanted something to cut the wind, I would look at Sitka jet stream or maybe the kuiu guide.

cowsandgrass

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a similar windbreaker type piece. I own the catalyst pants but I do not think they break the wind well at all. In fact my wrangler blue jeans do a better job. Don’t get me wrong I love the catalyst. They are warm, quit, and comfort table but not very wind proof.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I am looking for a similar windbreaker type piece. I own the catalyst pants but I do not think they break the wind well at all. In fact my wrangler blue jeans do a better job. Don’t get me wrong I love the catalyst. They are warm, quit, and comfort table but not very wind proof.

Agree. Catalyst is about as awful as it gets for blocking wind. Get the Sitka Jetstream Jacket if you want the best wind blocking jacket I’ve ever owned.

JBB111

FNG
I have the Catalyst and I find that is isn't warm in the wind either but it is quiet so wear it early bow season only. The Stratus is next up and I find much more versatile for layering and blocking wind.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Base14

FNG
I like FL and own a lot of their clothing but they are lacking in the wind blocking dept.

dkime

WKR
Best bet for wind blocker from FL would be rain gear, IMHO that is the only thing wrong with the catalyst, worthless for rain and wind

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I wore my ridge line today on our ride up to Knik Glacier. Right next to the glacier it was fairly steady wind at 15 mph and the ridge line cut almost all the chill out of the air. For an active piece it’s wind resistance seems to be right on the money (I stayed a good temperature and didn’t sweat chasing the kids up and down the rock hills). For a high wind situations I would look elsewhere, I know I’ll be using my SG M5 for those times or FL Uncomphagre. I can’t speak for FL’s rain gear but I would hope that the SEAK would be good for all winds and that their lightweight stuff could serve as a windbreaker.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
My guess is the wind blocking issue will be fixed next season.

I think you're right. They talked about it at one of the trade shows and just hadn't identified either a product they like enough or had not developed their own wind layer.

Adding Jeff Sturgis to the whitetail side will also probably speed up this process. Of the things I would like to see with at least a wind layer option in order (pants and jacket):

Uncompahgre
Catalyst
Sanctuary
Solitude

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My guess is the wind blocking issue will be fixed next season.

I talked to one of the guys from Firstlite on the phone on Friday. This is definitely something they are prioritizing. The issue is the current problems with supply chain getting test materials and samples in place for field/lab verification. We will have to wait and see what official announcements drop over the next few months.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
What do y’all think of the corrugate jacket? I just got one recently for a wind layer/shell and have been quite impressed. I’ve had it out in 20+ mph winds and felt like it did a good job cutting the wind chill.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
The biggest hole in the FL line is their lack of windproof layer. To my knowledge, with the exception of a rain shell, the only truly windproof layer is Sitka, most popularly their jetstream jacket. Every other company just has a wind ‘resistant’ layer.

Even the kuiu peloton which everyone here loves, didn’t cut the wind like I was expecting and I returned it. It also wasn’t as warm as I was expecting and it felt more like a soft shell to me than a fleece midlayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What do y’all think of the corrugate jacket? I just got one recently for a wind layer/shell and have been quite impressed. I’ve had it out in 20+ mph winds and felt like it did a good job cutting the wind chill.
I bought this jacket, and was really surprised at how much I use it. Its good on a cool/windy day. I wear a base layer under it and I am good in the 30-40's moving around pretty consistently.