Looking for help on first antelope hunt

ryan80

FNG
I live in GA and want to head out west this fall to harvest my first speed goat. I would like to do a guided hunt. I am NOT concerned about getting an amazing trophy, rather I just want to learn about hunting them and have a very good chance of getting a tag and of taking a decent one with horns. I would be looking for a 3 day hunt or so. I don't care what state, would be flying from Atlanta.

Can someone please suggest an outfitter/lodge?

Thanks in advance!!!

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
I would look into the Werner and Moore ranches in Wyoming.
You have the right attitude about wanting to learn and enjoy the experience

isu22andy

WKR
Skip the outfitter - look at the harvest odds in Wyoming and go kill one. I wont give you the unit - but ive been to a 1 point draw unit twice now and each time have filled 4 tags on bucks the first day. Its way easier than you think... some were not even a 1/4 mile off the highway.

NoWiser

WKR
Look for leftover Type 2 tags in Wyoming and then try to find an outfitter in those areas. Your hunt will probably be closer to 3 hours than 3 days if you aren't worried about trophy quality.

NoWiser

WKR
I second what isu22andy said. Ive Been to Wyoming a couple times for antelope hunting. I wouldve been upset if I spent the money on a guide.

I agree with this 100% as well, but he said he wants to go this year and there aren't much for tags out there in units with public land and the draws are long over.

I've been on a lot of challenging hunts over the years. I've never been on a challenging antelope hunt.

bmf0713

WKR
Yeah. I haven’t look at leftover tags and kinda figured that you might be SOL for a DIY hunt this late in the year. Might be worth it to save your $3000 and buy some gear, do some research this winter and put in for some tags next year.

WYLight

FNG
The odds of getting a leftover tag in Wyoming are slim to none for a decent unit this late in the game. I’d recommend researching an area and hunt it next year. As others have said don’t waste your money on a guide for antelope. However, if you can still make the trip for scouting this year, I’d highly recommend it. You’ll quickly learn that there’s a ton of public land with a good draw rate and plenty of antelope to chase after. I wouldn’t say it’s a challenging hunt unless you’re archery hunting. I live in Cheyenne, and I don’t have to drive more than 30 minutes to find antelope on public land.

Rich M

WKR
Exactly - you need to wait until next year. Buy a preference point from WY. Then spend some time looking at all the units you can draw with 1 point.

I did my first antelope hunt in 2017.

OXN939

WKR
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the WY leftover license draw is over already, so it's not possible to get a license this year unless there is a way to get a landowner tag or something. As others have suggested, get a point this year and apply next year. Antelope are a great first western hunt to do DIY- pretty forgiving logistically speaking, not that expensive and a much higher success rate than elk or mulies.

WYLight

FNG
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the WY leftover license draw is over already, so it's not possible to get a license this year unless there is a way to get a landowner tag or something. As others have suggested, get a point this year and apply next year. Antelope are a great first western hunt to do DIY- pretty forgiving logistically speaking, not that expensive and a much higher success rate than elk or mulies.
I think you’re right, I haven’t looked into leftover this year because I drew my tags thankfully haha.

NoWiser

WKR

Not correct. The leftover draw is over, but there are still leftover tags available for purchase. These tags are mainly private land only tags so you’ll want a place lined up to hunt before you buy one.

Orions.Quest

Lil-Rokslider
If you don’t follow the advice from others about buying a preference point in Wyoming this year and saving your money for next year then you can contact Kiowa Outfitters (https://kiowahunting.com/lets-go-hunting/antelope/) in NM.
They have hunts starting next month and still have openings, I’m sure there are other outfitters in NM as well that people can recommend. I have not personally hunted with Kiowa but have a friend I trust that has hunted with them (also has a hunt booked for this year) and spoke highly of the guide, the quality of the animals and the experience.
Antelope hunting is by far one of my favorite hunts, good luck.

Miller Outfitting in Gillette Wyoming... Doug is a great guy, lots of goats and his wife cooks amazing meals.
307-660-0960

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Antelope hunting is a blast but not hard. If you want to do diy then like others have said, buy a preference point for Wyoming. To hunt this year I’m sure would have to be guided on private with a leftover or landowner type tag. If you don’t hunt this year and are gonna spot & stalk hunt them, spend some money on your shooting system & ammo to practice up. Good luck