Looking for Hunting Partner

I went with a kid thats friends with my brother, he came highly recommended hes done several 1-2 week backpacking trips in CO sailed from Portugal to Alaska all sorts of cool stuff. extremely long story short we drove his vehicle from Massachusetts to Idaho and on day 4 he had a complete breakdown and left. I was able to borrow a vehicle and fly back but it was a disaster. I think finding guys on here would be more beneficial if it doesn't work out go your separate ways and that's that, if it does great and you have a new hunting buddy. as of now im putting in for Wyoming general with 3 points, plan on going solo but if I meet someone on here that's in the same unit that wants to hunt id be more than happy to meet up
What was his problem? Too physical? Scared of the dark? Depression?

What was his problem? Too physical? Scared of the dark? Depression?

I never really got to the bottom of it, the first two days we stayed down low in the flats to get acclimated to the elevation and he loved it he kept saying this is awesome I could do this all day and I kept telling him we were going up high soon. Well when we went up high his attitude quickly changed, there was a couple inches of snow the first day we went up higher I was going to hike one ridge him the next. He walked straight to the truck and I ended up following tracks for miles, we planned on meeting at the truck at dark he pretty much sat in the truck last 4-5 hours of the day. Next morning we went to the same spot and an hour after daylight he said his feet were cold and going back to truck, I walked over a ways and saw him driving down the road to town. Later I followed his tracks from the truck and he walked in about 200 yards and turned around and went straight back to truck. When I got back to camp that evening he was all choked up saying he can’t do it anymore. I offered to get a hotel, air bnb all sorts of things and all he would say is I can’t do this anymore. Then he said I’m going back home I looked up flights you can come with me or fly back. I borrowed a vehicle from a buddy out there and stayed 5 more days and he left immediately. I’m still not sure what happened we did like 4 miles up high on another mountain that third morning and there was no snow, went to another mountain around noon time where there was snow and we hiked in and he just walked straight back to the truck and that night complained his feet were wet/cold. That’s a hell of a drive to toss in the towel on day 4 from cold /wet feet.

I never really got to the bottom of it, the first two days we stayed down low in the flats to get acclimated to the elevation and he loved it he kept saying this is awesome I could do this all day and I kept telling him we were going up high soon. Well when we went up high his attitude quickly changed, there was a couple inches of snow the first day we went up higher I was going to hike one ridge him the next. He walked straight to the truck and I ended up following tracks for miles, we planned on meeting at the truck at dark he pretty much sat in the truck last 4-5 hours of the day. Next morning we went to the same spot and an hour after daylight he said his feet were cold and going back to truck, I walked over a ways and saw him driving down the road to town. Later I followed his tracks from the truck and he walked in about 200 yards and turned around and went straight back to truck. When I got back to camp that evening he was all choked up saying he can’t do it anymore. I offered to get a hotel, air bnb all sorts of things and all he would say is I can’t do this anymore. Then he said I’m going back home I looked up flights you can come with me or fly back. I borrowed a vehicle from a buddy out there and stayed 5 more days and he left immediately. I’m still not sure what happened we did like 4 miles up high on another mountain that third morning and there was no snow, went to another mountain around noon time where there was snow and we hiked in and he just walked straight back to the truck and that night complained his feet were wet/cold. That’s a hell of a drive to toss in the towel on day 4 from cold /wet feet.

Man that is wild for sure. All that planning, prep, money, plus the drive. I had a similar experience a few years ago. I had known this guy for a few years though. We decided to do an early archery OTC hunt in SW Colorado. Weather wasn’t bad at all and I had a canvas wall tent that we set up for base camp. Definitely were not roughing it. The area we were hunting did have a lot of elevation increase as soon as we left camp though. We had planned for 7 days. On the 3rd night we were back at camp and I could tell that he was in low spirits. We had hunted pretty hard and not seen a single elk. Bugled in a few other hunters though. We were sitting around the fire after dinner and he said “man it sure would be nice to be sitting in the hot springs over in Pagosa right now and headed back home in the morning”. Well....he didnt know it yet, but we had some pretty good snow moving in the next morning and all that next day. I knew he wasnt going to make it once it got cold. We were in my truck and I didn’t want to be a dick and make him fly back home to we headed out mid day the next day. In retrospect, it was actually a good thing we did. That area got hammered with over a foot of snow that day and the next. It would have been tough getting out of there after that.

Man that is wild for sure. All that planning, prep, money, plus the drive. I had a similar experience a few years ago. I had known this guy for a few years though. We decided to do an early archery OTC hunt in SW Colorado. Weather wasn’t bad at all and I had a canvas wall tent that we set up for base camp. Definitely were not roughing it. The area we were hunting did have a lot of elevation increase as soon as we left camp though. We had planned for 7 days. On the 3rd night we were back at camp and I could tell that he was in low spirits. We had hunted pretty hard and not seen a single elk. Bugled in a few other hunters though. We were sitting around the fire after dinner and he said “man it sure would be nice to be sitting in the hot springs over in Pagosa right now and headed back home in the morning”. Well....he didnt know it yet, but we had some pretty good snow moving in the next morning and all that next day. I knew he wasnt going to make it once it got cold. We were in my truck and I didn’t want to be a dick and make him fly back home to we headed out mid day the next day. In retrospect, it was actually a good thing we did. That area got hammered with over a foot of snow that day and the next. It would have been tough getting out of there after that.

That’s a tough call man but you did the right thing, I offered to pay for his hotel for a couple days while I hunted and he wanted no part of it. We were seeing elk too but I think he just dug himself into a hole in his mind he couldn’t crawl out. I think he imagined elk hunting for something it’s not I tried to explain how much of a grind it is, and honestly he was in better physical shape than me but his mind quit on him.

That’s a tough call man but you did the right thing, I offered to pay for his hotel for a couple days while I hunted and he wanted no part of it. We were seeing elk too but I think he just dug himself into a hole in his mind he couldn’t crawl out. I think he imagined elk hunting for something it’s not I tried to explain how much of a grind it is, and honestly he was in better physical shape than me but his mind quit on him.

I think a lot of people watch it on YouTube and see a rough ass 5-7 day hunt condensed down to 25 minutes of highlights with a kill shot at the end and they don’t realize how it really is. Don’t get me wrong, I love to watch a few of those guys on YouTube myself, but my dad was draggin me around the mountains when I was 14yrs old. On foot and on our horses. I know the reality of it.

Hey man,

i live in va as well i hunted montana last year and was going to go solo to idaho this year but wouldn't mind linking up else where if our hunting styles/interests line up. Im very much into backpack hunting but dont mind crushing trail heads from the truck until we locate a decent area.

East2West

FNG
I'm in the same boat with a lack of committed hunting partners. If you are still looking for an archery, backpack partner in WY or CO - let me know. I've been out to WY in 18' and haven't been able to shake elk fever since. I'll be out west somewhere, somehow in 2020 and would prefer not to be a solo hunt. I'm 34, good shape and committed.
Just wanted to chime in. From the east coast looking to find a person or group for DIY Bowhunt. Have points in Wyoming which I’d be willing to share if the partnership works out. Just looking to meet like minded people gain some experience

Just wanted to chime in. From the east coast looking to find a person or group for DIY Bowhunt. Have points in Wyoming which I’d be willing to share if the partnership works out. Just looking to meet like minded people gain some experience

Tomorrow is the last day to apply, I just put mine in

East2West

FNG
Tomorrow is the last day to apply, I just put mine in
Yes I’m caught in no mans land right now with 7 points. Won’t draw the archery only in the bighorns and don’t won’t to spend my points on a lesser tag. So current plan is to keep buying points fo WY and hunt OTC to gain experience

Yes I’m caught in no mans land right now with 7 points. Won’t draw the archery only in the bighorns and don’t won’t to spend my points on a lesser tag. So current plan is to keep buying points fo WY and hunt OTC to gain experience

Ahh gotcha I’m going into the general with 3, I just want to kill an elk I don’t care what it is

East2West

FNG
Ahh gotcha I’m going into the general with 3, I just want to kill an elk I don’t care what it is
Me too lol just dont want to use 7 points for a general. I would think you should draw the gen tag with 3 points. What area are you planning to hunt if you draw?

Me too lol just dont want to use 7 points for a general. I would think you should draw the gen tag with 3 points. What area are you planning to hunt if you draw?

I’m familiar with 89,90,102&104. I’ve fished and camped back there a handful of times. The archery doesn’t roll right into general gun in those units though. I’m trying to do 5 days in archery maybe 5+ during gun, there’s a few units north of there that roll into gun from archery no gap in between so I’ve been looking at those. Definitely the western edge of the state it’s the only area I’ve spent any time in out there.

East2West

FNG
I’m familiar with 89,90,102&104. I’ve fished and camped back there a handful of times. The archery doesn’t roll right into general gun in those units though. I’m trying to do 5 days in archery maybe 5+ during gun, there’s a few units north of there that roll into gun from archery no gap in between so I’ve been looking at those. Definitely the western edge of the state it’s the only area I’ve spent any time in out there.
Any grizzlies in 89, 90?

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are making me feel a little better about my situation, and that I'm not the only one!

I can't even find someone who hunts, or cares about chasing whitetails I like do, much less going outwest. It sucks not having someone to plan, train and get excited about a hunt with. A solo hunt is fine but I feel it should be shared with a partner.

Kilboars

WKR
We may have some opening on our Archery lease near Custer MT. Let me know what tags you draw after there put out.

Need to draw a bull tag to shoot a Bull Elk there but we have lots of Mule Deer, Antelope.

PM me if interested.

Flatland Newbie

Lil-Rokslider
Have you found your bunting buddy yet? I'm form Fairfax VA and I was planning a trip out west this year but my hunting buddy is not going to make it. A lot is happening and COVID is not helping at all. Basically I'm stuck. I don't think I can pull out this trip solo as this will be my first western hunt.

Have you found your bunting buddy yet? I'm form Fairfax VA and I was planning a trip out west this year but my hunting buddy is not going to make it. A lot is happening and COVID is not helping at all. Basically I'm stuck. I don't think I can pull out this trip solo as this will be my first western hunt.

what state you thinking?

Flatland Newbie

Lil-Rokslider
CO would be the easiest as far as driving but open to suggestions. Basically I'm ready for some kick ass adventures on the mountain.

Skull10

WKR
Following, I am debating the concept of a partner myself. A lot of planning and hard work goes into planning a trip. Last year I went with a couple local guys from NC. The passion was there for one of them, we just never really clicked on the hunting part. I made a lot of compromises to go with them last year. I regretted it quickly.