Looking for Idaho hunting friends.

IDShane

WKR
Hello,

I am also somewhat newer to the Boise area. My family and I have been here for 4 years now we moved over from Wisconsin for career growth and to get into a better climate.

I will tell you a little bit about myself I have been married to my wife for 25 years and I am 48 years old with a 21 year old son and an 18 year old daughter my wife and daughter do not hunt. My son and I have done a little bit of local hunting, but he has decided to hunt with friends his age and I am happy for him that he found friends.

I have had some struggles finding people with similar interests and I work a lot. I have gotten into long-range shooting with some of my co-workers and have had a few rifles built that has been fun. My son and I have done a little bit of local hunting.

When we lived in Wisconsin, we had a pretty good chunk of land that we Bow/Gun hunted whitetails on. We had large food plots, so I am not afraid of putting the work in. I just got really spoiled not having to deal with other hunters, so I have not been overly excited to get in line with all the other hunters out here.

This last year I went on an outfitted hunt in Alaska for Caribou with an old customer of mine from Wisconsin and really enjoyed it. We do plan to do more hunts together but would like to find some local friends that may have the same interests.

I realize that this website seems to be more back-country hunting focused, but I have been reading posts here for the past 4 years so maybe there might be someone who has my same interests.

I am not looking for hunting spots heck I may not even hunt Idaho that much. I am probably looking for someone to long-range shoot with maybe do some guided/outfitted hunts in the west and Canada/Alaska. I am not ruling out hunting here and I do enjoy getting into the mountains whether it be on foot or in my side by side.

Thanks for reading all of this. I really have been looking everywhere to try to find a way to make new hunting friends.

Best Regards,

Shane Boettcher

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
I understand because I have the same problem. Most of my friends either are not interested or don't have the discretionary income to do outfitted hunts. Of the two friends I have done out of state hunts with, one stopped due to age, and the other passed away last year. My solution is the remaining option, that being to go by myself.

Unfortunately, neither of my sons hunt, probably because I didn't get serious about hunting until in my 40's. You are lucky that your son does hunt. Perhaps you could convince him to do at least one hunt a year with you. The annual hunt with dad is something that will be a big deal to him 15 to 20 years from now.

There was someone who posted within the past couple of months that they were moving to Idaho (Boise area I think) and were looking for someone to hunt with. I think the post was as a new member (FNG).

OP
IDShane

IDShane

WKR
Thank you for the response Ed. I guess I should mention that I do not necessarily need to find someone to go on guided hunts with (although that would be great). I just would like to find like-minded people here in Idaho to find people to go shoot with to hike go into the mountains just hang out with. I had a pretty close group of friends in Wisconsin and it really made life more enjoyable.

OP
IDShane

IDShane

WKR
I managed to get out hunting locally a few times. I would be happy to find someone that would like to go out long range shooting, coyote hunting, utv riding you name it.

Where ya been going? Ever heading up the hill? I’m in the McCall area, relocated from out of state as well. I’m 42 with young kids In grade school.