Looking for input on my new bow

Hey all,

I've been hunting for years now with a right-handed bow. This is a slight problem as I'm a left-handed shooter. Much to my friends shock, I'm actually fairly accurate, but I am excited to say I've finally finished saving for my new bow! Unfortunately, a year and a half ago when I started saving there was a specific bow I wanted, and now I can't remember! So, all you archery experts, I'll tell you what I'm looking for, and what little I know, and maybe you can help guide me to a good bow.

I'm fairly average frame, with a 27.5" draw, and do most of my hunting for boar. I'm looking for a 70# bow. From my understanding of the differences between hybrid, binary, and twin cams, I believe what I'm looking for the most is twin cams. The concept of a free-floating nock point seems like a great system to give leeway for any changes in body position I might be in while shooting. I'm sure you all know better then I what measurements would be best for axle-to-axle and brace height. I doubt that any bows are made now that are bigger then my current bow, and it's been fine. I like RH offset arrows, and fletch my own, but know that Whisker Biscuits tend to grab fletchings if they're not straight. I don't know what rest would work best for me, but the bow is the most important part right now.

I was looking at a few of Strother's offerings, I've always liked them, though I've never owned one myself. I should mention, my price limit is 600. Honestly, I'm not good enough to justify a more expensive bow then that. Kinda like buying +_ .001 straightness arrows, I'm not good enough to make that be a difference.

Strothers is a company in flux. I'd steer you towards Obsessions as they are binary cam bows and are designed by Kevin Strother who Strother archery was started by and named after. From all I've heard, I wouldn't say that Strother's name attached to anything is to much of an endorsement though. Most all of the companies will have 1-2 year old flagship bows that will fall in your price point. Do make sure you're not right eye dominant as you could end up going back to right handed bows.

Go to a pro shop , not bass pro or cabelas . An actual reputable pro shop. Shoot as many manufactures and models as possible in your price range . A bow will pick you and have them set it up to fit you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Go to a pro shop , not bass pro or cabelas . An actual reputable pro shop. Shoot as many manufactures and models as possible in your price range . A bow will pick you and have them set it up to fit you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^
Sound advice!

OP
M
Do make sure you're not right eye dominant as you could end up going back to right handed bows.
Thats how I ended up shooting a right hand bow left handed, I couldn't figure out why I kept missing down and right, no matter how I adjusted the sights! Then someone did the triangle test with me and I found out I was left eye dominant. Suddenly everything fixed. Except torque issues from using the wrong hand on a shaped grip of course.

I tried that, went to a shop called nocked'n'loaded about 2 years ago, they're a really, REALLY nice pro shop. The problem is, I did fine with too many bows. I don't know if I'm just not experienced enough to be able to feel small differences, but I did great with Matthews, Bowtech, Strother, PSE...(I just pulled names out of my butt, I don't remember the different brands they sell, there's like 5 of 'em though.) If it fit my draw length, it fired well. Except Bear. None of those worked for me. I was a little disappointed, that was my first bow...

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I will go against the grain a little. All companies make great bows....so long as you like the draw cycle, the most important thing is that they are tuned properly and have great customer support. I have been able to tune any bow I have owned so for me it comes down to draw curve, reasonably fast (but since I am 30" DL, that is rarely an issue), not heavy, carries well, and great customer support.

I have hitched my wagon to Obsession since 2012 and have not been disappointed. I have had a couple hiccups (you will with any company) but they have always made it right. Plus I don't know of another company where the owner publishes his phone number and will talk to you.

Anyway, for your stated price point, I would suggest you shoot a Turmoil. I don't think there is better offering at that price point. Plus it is a fast Strother design hybrid CAM that appears attractive to you already.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
M
Anyway, for your stated price point, I would suggest you shoot a Turmoil. I don't think there is better offering at that price point. Plus it is a fast Strother design hybrid CAM that appears attractive to you already.

That Turmoil does seem to match what I'm looking for very well, thank's for the suggestion!

On a related note...Safari | Mathews Archery Inc. can someone explain to me what makes this bow worth $2100 dollars? That's more then my truck cost!

It's not worth the $2100 but it doesn't s say Mathews on it. I would look at some other bows over Strothers. They could not be around at any time. At $600 you would be better served following the advice here and get to a pro shop. Shoot a ton of bows then look at a used bow. You could really extend your money and get something very nice. If you like the Strothers cam, look at Elite, Athens and Obession. They all make good bows and are stable as a company. You can pick up a used Athens for a great price. Good luck!

kcm2

WKR
Remember, too, last year's bows tend to sell at a discount. If you can find a used Obsession Evolution, I think you'd be shocked at how good the bow is. I don't even look at new bows after having bought that one in 2014. And it sends an arrow with some good speed.

Well, unless your pro shop carries a lot of left hand models, you're going to be short on selection as far as the bow picking you. Trust me, I know - curse of being left eye dominant.

As mentioned, last year's bows are priced fairly decent. If a pro shop is worth any salt, they'll help you set it up regardless if you buy from them or not...

Im a lefty and yes it can be hard to find shops with bows that you can shoot. But maybe have them turn it down and draw it right handed. I do that from time to time. Its not exactly the best but its better then not at all.

As far as bows there are a lot of good ones out there. Honestly i have been looking at new bows a lot lately but i cant seem to find a good reason to switch from my Elite E32 other then just having a new feeling. The Hoyt Defiant with draw stops installed feels alot like the elites. The Mathews Halon 32 is an excellent shooting bow..holds small and the weight isnt a big deal as it is a bit heavier but it shoots like a dream. My only complaint is there isnt much of a valley especially when compared to the elites(not the option series, i dont care for those) hoyts, PSE, and new breeds. Mathews adds a little more valley and backwall and they have my dream bow. To me its all about feeling.. and practical applications.. a western hunter and tree stand hunter from the mid west/east coast will want different things.

My suggestion is to go shoot a bunch of bows. Then make a list of things you like and dont like. I might be easier draw, or the shot or a deep valley in the draw. Or maybe just the way it holds or points. Think of things like size and how you plan to use it and limit bows from there. I know i prefer a bow bwt 32-35 axle to axle however a lot of treestand guys love short axle to axle bows. Once you have a good list it will help you figure out which one is the "the one"

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
Completely agree with shooting a bunch of different bows and find out what feels best. I've shot Bowtech forever simply because they are so much easier to tune IMO.