Looking for Kodiak advice

AK McF

FNG
First post here we go... so I grew up in a die hard hunting family in Ohio went overseas for five years and three years ago the military brought me to Alaska. This was a totally new type of hunting and I made the mistake of buying cheap gear in order to get out on the mountains sooner. I’m learning the meaning of cry once. Recently I drew a Brown Bear tag for Kodiak so this is my excuse to buy top of the line gear.

I’m looking for recommendations on a new all season alaska pack. I’m currently using a badlands 2200. I love it but I’m ready to pass it on to my brother. I am really leaning towards another badlands or mystery ranch because of their military discounts.

Any opinions or Kuiu’s Katana vs Yukon rain gear?

Anyone use a Jim Shockey Single Pole Artic oven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice is not to use a cheap transporter...

I took the Yukon rain gear and was pretty happy with it. No experience with the kutana.

I would cross Badlands off of the pack list.

Fowler530

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide and Thank You for your service!! Lots of great information and experience to draw from around here! Looking forward to hearing about your Kodiak hunt!

OP
A

AK McF

FNG
My advice is not to use a cheap transporter...

I took the Yukon rain gear and was pretty happy with it. No experience with the kutana.

I would cross Badlands off of the pack list.

Any recommendations? I have someone in mind not sure if I can advertise their name on here but it’s a common name

Might be fun to use a deer transport and do it that way

Obviously that depends on what tag you drew

For nasty weather the Kifaru frame of your choice and Cargo Panel is hard to beat. Stick a 55L dry bag in there for hauling your camp and food and stick your hunting gear in a Guide lid. You can add pouches to the CP and belt as needed. Your pack (sans dry bag) is now an ultralite freighter.

flatpack.JPG
KIFARUPACK3.jpg
KIFARUPACK1.jpg

Bond007

FNG
I just signed up too and now need to post 10 responses so I can start using the classified section. I’ve always enjoyed these forums

OP
A

AK McF

FNG
Might be fun to use a deer transport and do it that way

Obviously that depends on what tag you drew

Yeah the seasons are not going to line up this time but I do plan on making a second trip out there for a deer/goat hunt!

OP
A

AK McF

FNG
For nasty weather the Kifaru frame of your choice and Cargo Panel is hard to beat. Stick a 55L dry bag in there for hauling your camp and food and stick your hunting gear in a Guide lid. You can add pouches to the CP and belt as needed. Your pack (sans dry bag) is now an ultralite freighter.

View attachment 169096
View attachment 169097
View attachment 169098

That’s a very interesting approach! I took some screenshots maybe I’ll setup like that for caribou or bear baiting!

duchntr

WKR
Theres a guy on craigslist (near Anchorage if I remember correctly) that rents arctic ovens, which would be a good option possibly. I have some Kuiu Chugach stuff and am happy with it. Lots of good packs out there, if you live in Anchorage Barneys Sports Chalet carries Kifaru, stone glacier and mystery ranch as well as their Barneys frame packs.

Beendare

WKR
Welcome, thanks for your service.

If you have the mods move this to the Blacktail section, you will get more responses. Lots of Kodiak threads there.

Lots of top packs...Exo, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru and Stone Glacier are top of the heap. I just bought an EXO as I'm tall hard to fit and this one works. Best to utilize a pack cover on Kodiak due to so much rain.

I use Kuiu Chugash RG over merino base layers on Kodiak. Good waterproof boot with a tall gaiter.

_______

OP
A

AK McF

FNG
Welcome, thanks for your service.

If you have the mods move this to the Blacktail section, you will get more responses. Lots of Kodiak threads there.

Lots of top packs...Exo, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru and Stone Glacier are top of the heap. I just bought an EXO as I'm tall hard to fit and this one works. Best to utilize a pack cover on Kodiak due to so much rain.

I use Kuiu Chugash RG over merino base layers on Kodiak. Good waterproof boot with a tall gaiter.

_______

Thanks for the reply! I started to do a lot of homework on mystery ranch I’ll check out exo. Just ordered the katana jacket probably going with the chugach pants

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru is tough to beat. I have the mountain warrior with the guide lid and can use as a daypack or 7-8 day pack in hunt very easily.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Mystery Ranch has a ridiculously good military discount through expert voice

Stid2677

WKR
Where you stationed at? I have some Kodiak experience and live near Ft Wainwright.

OP
A

AK McF

FNG
Where you stationed at? I have some Kodiak experience and live near Ft Wainwright.

Eielson. I’ll take any advice I can get! I’ll try to send you a direct message on here if you don’t beat me to it

This last season i had been saving up to go to Alaska and had my eyes set on Kifaru, when i found a deal on the Mystery Ranch Metcalf i bought it. I have been very impressed with it so far. This last season, that pack hauled out 2 caribou, 1 moose, and a full deboned mule deer. Its pretty light, reasonably priced, has the Meat shelf. Definately worth a hard look IMHO

Attachments

• 20190916_095652.jpg
    20190916_095652.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 13