Looking for light maneuverable pack/meat-hauler

So I'm in the market for a lightweight/smaller/pack with meat hauling capabilities. I tend to do mostly day trips and like a small pack that k can grab and go but yet still throw am elk hind end on on first trip out. I have been looked at the Mystery ranch 1800 and the exo 1800 . Leaning towards exo ... I like the "meat shelf" style vs any of the other for packing meat. Minimal extra storage wanted /needed water, essentials, etc. Biggest thing is maneuverablility ..

Thoughts guys?

Phaseolus

WKR
I use the Seek Outside Peregrine which is big at 3500cu for what you want. You could just get the frame and a Talon. A Base Talon hold 800cu internal and has a mesh pocket for a 3 liter bladder. My talon is blaze but you can get them in other colors.83FB5E23-40D4-4636-A8AD-8FB86FD9A251.jpeg0F91129D-0639-464B-B737-AD42FF1D1BDC.jpeg

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve hauled two elk out with just the talon and the meatshelf. It works really well. In the top photo I popped a strap off so you could see the inside of a talon with it’s mesh pocket. (it’s upside down in this photo, WTH)

OP
H
I like the size of that although I'd probably want just a little bigger than just the talon to be able to sruff a jacket on of needed. I'll check there sight. I liked the kifaru one but seems real similar to exo .. and hey we all wanna be cool like the guys on YouTube right🤦‍♂️

wapitibob

WKR
Just get the frame of your choice and have Pods8 make you a custom bag. This is a Stone Glacier frame and custom bag with internal pockets, lash buckles, and shock cord cinches for trekking poles or tripod. I attached ladder locks to the lower loops and run the btm bag straps thru them for a lower mounting point (pad is shown attached).

2.JPG4.JPG6.JPG

OP
H

wapitibob

WKR
I tried their access bag first but it's made to ride on another bag so the buckles are too wide for the frame. This custom bag only uses the top and lowest side straps of the frame, the two center lash/buckle straps are free for cinching plus we added buckles to the bag so it can be a compression panel or you can cinch a bow to the bag.

OP
H
I tried their access bag first but it's made to ride on another bag so the buckles are too wide for the frame. This custom bag only uses the top and lowest side straps of the frame, the two center lash/buckle straps are free for cinching plus we added buckles to the bag so it can be a compression panel or you can cinch a bow to the bag.
Do you remember "roughly" what you paid for the bag . Obviously pods8 price is welcome to change and depends on the customization etc..

I know this just turns into a “what I know” type convo for most of us. I will tell you that I know the EXO well and it’s a legit pack. I have the K2 with the largest bag. Get the small bag if you like but the design is so nice that the large bag cinches down so well that I run it as a day pack often. The weight difference of the bags is very small. I would at least consider the mid size bag.
Just an exo plug for the most part but I really like this bag. I’ve used it 3 years and packed 2 elk a bunch of miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H
Seldom, yeah I've debated that as well. The 3500 might be the ticket if I go that route. I just like something small that I can jush grab and go. I basically use a small camel back camo backpack with a little more storage than a bladder pack. And it carries everything I really need . But would be nice to take some meat out on the first 3 miles back to the truck... Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Any bag made by any company you see here, will cinch down. If I were only wanting one bag, I'd err on the side of big versus small. Because If you pack any amount of glass or over layers, a 1800 to 2500 CI bag gets full really quickly.

OP
H
Agreed, However where I hunt elk generally don't need the spotter once hike in has began. So I avoid the extra weight. And I wear a bino harness so glass isn't much of a concern. Extra jacket, game bags, med kit and water pretty much it. I like the idea of making sure the frame has the option to buy a separate larger bag for any overnight trips if I go that route in future. Either way I go any of these frames are gonna be taking some getting used to vs the small backpack I'm used to now.

WKR
I use the mystery ranch mule pack for day hunting. Holds everything you need for a day hunt and can haul out meat no problem. I packed out an elk with it last year and didnt have any issues.

Jimss

WKR
Larger volume packs and frames have gotten so light weight and comfortable that to me it's worth using them and cinching them down to scout and for light-duty hunting trips from the truck. If I harvest a critter I'm prepared to haul out a bulky, 80+ lb load my first trip.

When my Kifaru is loaded with lighter weights (20 to 30 lbs) I hardly notice a pack is on my back! The same daypack with 20 to 30 lbs my shoulders and back would be a bit sore at the end of a day from glassing with a pack plus rifle on my back. I can guarantee that 1,200 to 3,000 cu in daypacks aren't designed for bulky loads more than 40 lbs. Your back, shoulders, and body will thank you if you use a larger volume, full sized pack and frame!

For this very reason I’ve been using Mystery Ranch crew cab for the past few years. Small like a day pack, but able to load out large items if needed.

Look at mystery ranch. The MULE or Crew Cab are load slings with a smallish daypack built in on a full size frame. They also have a line called the pop up, which are convertible frames that can haul a load. I use and love my pop up for white tail hunting and have hauled out an entire quartered deer in one trip with it. Probably 80# total load.

One thought on the suggestions above, running a small pack or a load sling on a tall frame is fine but can be a pain in the ass if you are moving through brush. Those frames are tall and get hung up on brush and limbs. I ran a kifaru pack on a 26 inch frame for a while and it was just too much bulk for whitetail day hunts.

If you already have the frame or only want one you can also use for longer hunts then a full size frame with a small bag is great but I really like something as small as possible since it spends 95% of the time in daypack mode. The pop up is the best solution I have found to this particular gear problem.

wapitibob

WKR
Seldom, yeah I've debated that as well. The 3500 might be the ticket if I go that route. I just like something small that I can jush grab and go. I basically use a small camel back camo backpack with a little more storage than a bladder pack. And it carries everything I really need . But would be nice to take some meat out on the first 3 miles back to the truck... Lol

That bag I showed you is 10 x 16 x 3 and holds everything I need from the time I leave till I get back with it loaded with meat. I have kill kit with 5 game bags, safety kit, extras kit, hygiene kit, bag of lash straps/buckles, room for a 90% jacket or core heavy wt once it warms up, and have room to spare. I used to do the big bag thing but got tired of the straps and pine needles. I went away from the bladder too and now use a 1.5 litre smart water bottle in a camelback bottle holder. My setup weighs 12-13# including water.
My wife uses one of the small camelback packs and it's a nice little setup.