Looking for my first hunting rifle!

BuckSnort

WKR
Don't be such a cheap-ass and go first class. Buy a killing machine custom in caliber of choice with top notch optics and throw away the bow (maybe not throw away the bow) and don't look back. I'm guessing you are only going to buy one rifle, so do it right the first time. Ammo availability should be a consideration in case of problems when you fly and ammo gets "misplaced". IMO.

I remember when I thought I was only gonna need/want one rifle... Two safes later I think back and chuckle at those thoughts...lol

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I remember when I thought I was only gonna need/want one rifle... Two safes later I think back and chuckle at those thoughts...lol

That was supposed to be a secret. Aron only wants one gun and will not fall into the same trap as you and I. Guns are not addictive, just a reasonable response to seeing something you can't live without. I didn't follow my own advice and could have done without at least 2/3rds of the guns I have. Really, I'm just trying to save him money in the long run. Spend a bunch now or spend a huge bunch later. Just trying to be helpful. Wish someone would have enlightened me this way.

wapitibob

WKR
I have Remington and Kimber, both are garbage.
Remington's are good for nothing but the action to use in a custom. Mine was missing some rifling among other problems.
Kimber Montana is worse. Jams every cycle of the bolt. Feed by hand and it shoots 1 1/2". Absolute junnk for $1000.

Cabelas has an exclusive Savage in 6.5 x 284 or 300 Win mag. Essentially a reworked Long Range Hunter. Out of the box accuracy puts both the Rem and Kimber to shame. Barrel is a Med varmint taper too.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1264559#BVQAWidgetID

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
Remington's are good for nothing but the action to use in a custom. Mine was missing some rifling among other problems.
Kimber Montana is worse. Jams every cycle of the bolt. Feed by hand and it shoots 1 1/2". Absolute garbage for $1000.

Cabelas has an exclusive Savage in 6.5 x 284 or 300 Win mag. Essentially a reworked Long Range Hunter. Out of the box accuracy puts both the Rem and Kimber to shame.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1264559#BVQAWidgetID

You are right on about Remington quality! Last week I blew a primer in my Remington 700 and had to tap the bolt with an 8oz brass hammer to get it to lift. Third softtap the handle came off. Only 1/4 of the solder was good. 3/4 had not been soldered. I still say a savage weather warrior is a better deal than any used rifle. I don't think Aron handloads so the 6.5x284 that I would buy for myself would not be a good fit. Also , I probably not post while in the stand. I just had two does cross in front of me. If it had been a big buck I would be too late to get a shot !

Last edited:

hunthard

FNG
Not to highjack the original thread but, since everyone is talking about this rifle and that rifle, anyone have anything good or bad to say about the weatherby vanguard particularly in 300 win mag or 7mm?

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Not to highjack the original thread but, since everyone is talking about this rifle and that rifle, anyone have anything good or bad to say about the weatherby vanguard particularly in 300 win mag or 7mm?

My shoot-anything rifle is a vanguard in 300wsm. After dropping a new trigger it gets the job done but isn't going to clover leaf five shots at 100y.

Shrek

WKR
Hunthard , the weatherby vanguard / howa 1500 is usually a pretry good rifle. Like most production rifles it would benefit from a new trigger , free float the barrel and bedding the action. After doing those things and working up a load for it it is very likely that it would shoot under a inch at 100yds. A friend has one that after doing the things I just said now shoots .3 inch groups.

Last edited:

GrantMan

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I wouldn't want a rifle that weighed less than 8lbs for the big 30 calibers. No fun to practice with.

Savage is a good accurate American made rifle.

Aron,
Give me a call back when you get a chance... have some good info for you! ;)

One other thing I'd like to mention, is there are some quality companies out there that are doing custom reloading for cheap. As Aron doesn't reload, this could be a great option for him to run say for example a 300 RUM or 338 Edge/Lapua...etc In our case if we did manage to get a rifle in Aron's hands, we would possibly work up what loads the rifle is liking, then would make a dummy round. Aron could send this dummy round and 100-200 (or any #) pieces of brass to one of these reloading companies and have them reload them all to that dummy rounds specifications (COAL measured from Ogive, powder metered to within 1/10th of a grain...etc). Cheaper than factory ammo and no hassle involved!

Mike

Not saying this is what will fit Aron's situation, but I know

Mike

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Aron, I have a Weatherby Vanguard sub-MOA in .300 Weatherby I've been thinking about selling, send me a PM if you're interested.

Phil

shaun

WKR
Another killer round to consider is a 30-378 or even the 338-378 i have both and love them. Kinda overkill but fun to shoot. One also to to check out if you are wanting to do a more custom build is a 7mm wsm but with that you got to do reloading I dont know of any companys that make factory loads for that but I could definatly be wrong

Shrek

WKR
The 7mm wsm is my favorite round. Winchester makes factory ammo but it is best with handloads. The best bullets , short action , reasonable recoil in a light rifle. I know where I can get a used winchester pust feed in 7mm wsm for about $250. Its the blind magazine plastic stock model so it would need a good stock and a hinged floor plate. It would be great as a donor action for a custom build.

Last edited:

hunting1

WKR
Kimber Montana is worse. Jams every cycle of the bolt. Feed by hand and it shoots 1 1/2". Absolute junnk for $1000.

Cabelas has an exclusive Savage in 6.5 x 284 or 300 Win mag. Essentially a reworked Long Range Hunter. Out of the box accuracy puts both the Rem and Kimber to shame.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...9#BVQAWidgetID

+1! I have handled the 300 at the Glendale store and it is nice. My Remingtons are fancier, but took alot to get them shooting as well as my Savages. I like the Ruger Hawkeye as well.

Looked at the Montana and Tikka and instead went with a Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter in 7mm-08.

5 1/2 pounds just seems to disappear in a Kifaru gun bearer. With a lightweight Leupold scope I guess it's actually just under 6 pounds...

7mm-08 apparently kills elk the same as my old .30-06.