Looking for my first hunting rifle!

Shrek

WKR
Looked at the Montana and Tikka and instead went with a Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter in 7mm-08.

5 1/2 pounds just seems to disappear in a Kifaru gun bearer. With a lightweight Leupold scope I guess it's actually just under 6 pounds...

7mm-08 apparently kills elk the same as my old .30-06.
The 7mm-08 is what I hunt with most of the time and I promise you it will do the job. I was looking at the savage lightweight hunter myself as the base for a diy custom. Add a magnum bolt face and a custom 7mm wsm barrel. Even adding a longer barrel I think I could keep it under 6lbs.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Model 7 in 7-08, and have found it to be a great performer as well! Mine likes 140 TTSX at over 2800. I would be confident on elk with it too.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
If Aron is willing a savage DIY project would be sweet. Just finished a 260 rem build last night.

uploadfromtaptalk1351183065089.jpg

Maybe 300wsm? Start with a used short action. Add recoil lug, mcgowen barrel, cdi bottom metal, alpha industries wsm mag, trigger, b &c stock and have a shooter for a decent price.

Shrek

WKR
CrzyTrekker , what are you loading for the 7-08 ? With the short barrel I was thinking the 154gr Interbond over Varget or H4895 would work well.

Aron, I bought a 300 RUM because I couldn't find a 338 RUM. I have a HUGE Nightforce scope, Badger 6-screw rings and base on it and it weighs a ton. I call it the snot-ejector. I recoils very hard. I was going to rebarrel it to 338 RUM but never did. I agree, ammo is an issue as with recoil but I would think you could adapt.

That said, I am thinking if you go to Alaska or Canada or big bear country you will want a round larger than .30 caliber. One of the first posts mentioned a Savage with a short barrel. That has my vote and I want one in 338 Win. Mag. Short, powerful and that caliber is the standard in AK, from what I am told, everyone on the street corner has a 338 round in their pocket. Find the recipe for ammo that it shoots perfectly with some premium or Berger bullets and have a custom BDC turret made by Leupold or Kenton Industries for a small 3-9x40mm scope and you can kill anything from chipmunks to polar bears.

I forgot to mention, it is called the Savage 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter and it has iron sights in case you fall on your scope and you have Mark 4/TPS TSR style rings on it you can easily remove the scope and carry on.