Looking for my next set of trekking poles

FURMAN

WKR
I am really looking for people who have tried multiple different pair. I really liked my Distance Carbon Zs until I snapped one in NZ. It made a very noticeable difference in the rest of my trip. I think the joints at the fold are a weak link. I want light but they need to be durable. I have a Dall sheep hunt in August and can't afford to break a pole.

deadwolf

WKR
I’ve used the ones Costco sells and they were decent, but I can’t remember the name. Right now I’m using the Black Diamond carbon and I like them a lot, but if they were to break I would try a new pair of the one S And S Archery came out with last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used the ones Costco sells and they were decent, but I can’t remember the name. Right now I’m using the Black Diamond carbon and I like them a lot, but if they were to break I would try a new pair of the one S And S Archery came out with last year.

Cascade Mountain Tech

Decker9

WKR
I hear you on the flz’s, Iv broke 2 poles in 2 sets in the past 3 years. Last fall I broke my second one, so decided to play the warranty card. Within a couple days, BD had a new set of alpine carbon cork poles sent to me free of charge. I only have a few days on these new BD poles, but they sure seem stouter then the flz’s Iv owned before.

LOVE my Black Diamond trekking poles. Pricey, but worth every penny. I swear one of them bent right in half one time when I was hiking in Fern Canyon in Redwoods NP and part of the bank collapsed under me. The trekking pole bent with my weight and then snapped back into place, pulling me up and saving me from a spill. I used to have a cheaper set of another brand (can't remember which), and the Black Diamond poles were such a step up. Their locking mechanism is super easy to use for adjusting length.

I went with the Black Diamond 2 piece set; I was going for durability and did some prior research though not totally exhaustive. They have been great. I do think that only having one joint makes them stronger. There's been no issues with folding size but it is on the longer side with only 2 pieces. I wouldn't go with the Costco ones for a trip like that even if they are decent. You want a step up in quality and I think Black Diamond, Leki, etc. will give you that.

I have owned quite a few pairs of both aluminum and carbon fiber trekking poles, I currently have three CF sets that I use routinely (Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork, Cascade Mountain Tech , and Locus Gear). Of those three, the Locus Gear poles get used the most simply because they’re the lightest and most comfortable (with modifications to the grips). I know I’ve said this before but, if I had to do it all over again, and I could only have one set, it would be the Cascade Mountains, sold at Costco for less than $30. They are very durable, a little lighter than my Black Diamond’s, and cost about $100 less. I have no problem spending money on good gear but, spending upwards of 4-5 times as much simply for the name, especially since they’re pretty much all manufactured in China (actually BD’s are manufactured in Taiwan), is utterly ridiculous IMO. If you have access to both a Costco and REI, you can always just purchase a few pairs and draw your own conclusions. When you’ve made your decision, return the ones you don’t want.

Shrek

WKR
I’ve really liked my Locus Gear poles from Japan. They’ve held up better than I expected. I had Ultra Distance Z poles but they broke at the first joint down from the handle and I took a hard fall.

Last edited:
OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I have owned quite a few pairs of both aluminum and carbon fiber trekking poles, I currently have three CF sets that I use routinely (Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork, Cascade Mountain Tech , and Locus Gear). Of those three, the Locus Gear poles get used the most simply because they’re the lightest and most comfortable (with modifications to the grips). I know I’ve said this before but, if I had to do it all over again, and I could only have one set, it would be the Cascade Mountains, sold at Costco for less than $30. They are very durable, a little lighter than my Black Diamond’s, and cost about $100 less. I have no problem spending money on good gear but, spending upwards of 4-5 times as much simply for the name, especially since they’re pretty much all manufactured in China (actually BD’s are manufactured in Taiwan), is utterly ridiculous IMO. If you have access to both a Costco and REI, you can always just purchase a few pairs and draw your own conclusions. When you’ve made your decision, return the ones you don’t want.

This is what I was looking for. I don't mind spending money either but it needs to be warranted. I would have given $500 for a single replacement while I was in NZ so the replacements need to be sturdy. I do not see the poles on Costco site. Did they stop carrying them? Do you think the 3K version is worth it? they are not much more.

Read the reviews for the Cascade Mountain Gear or whatever the name of the Costco trekking poles on Amazon. Lots of issues with noise and falling apart. It scared me off even though I know people have had good experiences with them. I think the BD, Leki poles that are the strongest, not the Z folding ones, will have better quality control. It's all a guessing game to some extent but when you're hiking real steep stuff you want to trust your poles.

A mountaineering buddy recommended 2 piece poles and the companies did tell me they thought those would be stronger. It makes sense to me.

This is what I was looking for. I don't mind spending money either but it needs to be warranted. I would have given $500 for a single replacement while I was in NZ so the replacements need to be sturdy. I do not see the poles on Costco site. Did they stop carrying them? Do you think the 3K version is worth it? they are not much more.

No, they haven’t stopped selling them but I don’t think they’ve ever sold them on their website. Up here they only have them from about March through August, give or take. I don’t know where you live or if you have any Costco‘s near you, or if they even sell them, if so and if you can wait until then, I think you should. Another option would be Amazon. You might have to pay $15 more for them, but that’s another option.

Read the reviews for the Cascade Mountain Gear or whatever the name of the Costco trekking poles on Amazon. Lots of issues with noise and falling apart. It scared me off even though I know people have had good experiences with them. I think the BD, Leki poles that are the strongest, not the Z folding ones, will have better quality control. It's all a guessing game to some extent but when you're hiking real steep stuff you want to trust your poles.
I really have no dog in the fight, and like I said, I have a fair amount of experience with a number of different brands. We (my family and I), have probably 4-5 years and at least a couple hundred miles on the Cascades and couldn’t be happier. Again, no dog in the fight here, but for the money I don’t believe these things can be beat. I would also bet that if they are inferior to my BD’s, as far as strength goes, it’s not by much and I don’t think that they rattle any more or less than my BD’s.

Cascade Mountain Tech from Costco with the flip locks are pretty tough to beat. I have broken one pole two different trips. Both tiAmes the right diameter stick and a little tape made it through. Less than $10 for the replacement part and back in business. Both times I think any carbon pole would have broke. I got stuck between rocks and the pole went sideways while wedged. Aluminum would have bent and broke trying to straighten.

You can order them on amazon or straight from cascade as well. I get the parts from cascade. I actually ordered an extra lower section and cut off the tip so I can use that piece between my poles for my teepee pole

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
The s and s poles are solid! I had a set but ended up going back to the Costco poles because it was harder to use a twist lock with my tent. The Costco poles are a little heavier and probably weaker but I've never had an issue with them. Multiple of us used the s and s on the EXO death hike last year and I don't remember seeing any broken ones. If it's a real concern you can always pack a spare.

kickemall

WKR
Also a Costco Cascade Mountain Tech fan. I've had several different brands and like these the best. Used them pretty hard and they held up as good or better than the others.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I would guess that most of you put more miles on your poles but I am not really concerned with breaking poles on your "average" backpack hunt. I broke my Carbon Zs in deep snow. Like I said it broke at the connection which I feel is a weak link. I think I am going to buy a set of Cascade Mountains to see how they feel. Thanks for the help.

I would guess that most of you put more miles on your poles but I am not really concerned with breaking poles on your "average" backpack hunt. I broke my Carbon Zs in deep snow. Like I said it broke at the connection which I feel is a weak link. I think I am going to buy a set of Cascade Mountains to see how they feel. Thanks for the help.

I really don’t think you’ll be disappointed, but if you are, you can always return them. Here’s a picture of my son using them to pack his ram off the mountain this last fall. These are the older ones with foam grips, before they came out with cork (cork being much nicer IMO).
44d9fbfb00098abddaa914aae9e055b0.jpg

TnCo

FNG
I've used a really bad pair of trekking poles(forgot which brand but got them on amazon) and then I got a set of Black Diamond Ergo poles and I would just suggest getting a high quality pair. its a night and day difference if you actually use them.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I ended up with some S&S trekking poles. I will be putting them through the paces.