Looking for new short bow suggestions. Currently shooting Mathews DXT

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not one to buy a new bow every season. I usually keep stuff if it works-like my 2005 Tundra with over 300k miles. Anyway I am thinking of a new bow now and I like the size and weight of my DXT. I feel like I can get away with shorter bows as my draw length is only 27"

I did look at the Mathews VXR 28" and I am going to go back and shoot it a bit. My current archery guy doesn't have much other than Mathews & Hoyt.

Just curious of other sub 30" bows guys have looked at or own. Not looking for a speed freak bow or anything out of the ordinary I just like carrying/shooting shorter bows.

Zac

WKR
Get the specs you want figured out first. If your below 28 inch draw you may want to look at a 6 inch brace height. If you are 29 or longer you can definitely explore the longer more forgiving brace lengths. Also I would not shoot an ATA shorter than your draw length. So if your 29 inches I would not shoot a 28 inch ATA. I would figure out how much holding weight you like as well. Alot of new bows have extremely high let off. I'd be careful of the shoot what feels the best theory without setting some ground rules for yourself first. The best feeling bow is not necessarily the most consistent.

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
My cousin picked up a brand new Mathews tx5 yesterday, I went over and shot it and personally I thought it shot well for being 28ata but only 5 inch brace height, he's shooting at 60 pounds and 28 inch draw. Only real drawback I noticed was you can't hold it at full draw for as long as other bows which is to be expected. I wanted to check out the shorter axle to axle because I'm bouncing back and forth between the bear divergent at 28ata with I believe 6 1/4 quarter brace height and the bear kuma 30 at 30ata 6 inch brace height nor no i personally see a issue drawing back later in the season bundled up like we have to in Michigan winter's. My normal set up is 70 pounds 27 inch draw.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I pointed out in the original post my draw length is 27 inches. Let off is 80% on my current DXT and the brace height is 7 inches.

Just looking for general ideas on any new bows that are short ATA-say 30 inches or less. I can drill down from there.

Thanks!

Brendan

WKR
Check out a Triax. You can pick one up used for shorter money than the current year bows, super quiet, great speed. I generally shoot longer ATA bows (35" Hoyt is my primary), but the Triax is a great shooter. Pretty doubtful there's any meaningful improvements in the newest bows as opposed to one a couple years old.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
PSE Drive B, EVO NXT 31 (30.5 ATA), Hoyt Torrex XT, Hoyt Axius Alpha are a few others to go shoot if you can. Elite has one in the 28" range also. Just name a few.

Last edited:

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
I shot my DXT for 9 Years and the finally upgraded to my Vertix. Really my reason for upgrading was to shoot 70 pounds(DXT only had 60 pound limbs). The Vertix ATA is just a hair longer than the DXT, excluding the size of cams. But looking for a shorter bow i don't think a Triax would be a bad choice, and is still an upgrade from the DXT. The Triax also will be more forgiving in draw vs the VXR since it has the older style cams.

Trial153

WKR
Pick up a used Evolve 28. If you can handle a 30ata, with OAL similar to some shorter bows with larger cams ...elite ritual 30 is good one.
OAL from bow to bow may suprise you .

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sodaky-I did think about doing that very thing and still might. I am glad someone mentioned the Triax. That was the bow I shot a couple years back and really liked it but could not remember the name.

I appreciate the suggestions.

I second the VXR 28.

just upgraded from my ‘06 SXT and only complaint is stightly more weight. But the VXR is quieter to my ears, WAY faster, and equally if not more shock free. And I’m pulling 75 now instead of the SXT at 72. The VXR seems to pull easier until the last 3” of draw cycle andthat 3” rolls over very quickly. The SXT was smooth from start to full draw. I’m a 28.5 DL.

Reactions: Zac

marktole

WKR
A third vote for the VXR 28 (or a Triax). I am a 29" draw and shoot that bow great (great is a relative term to me so take that for what its worth).

I put a side stabilizer on a V-Bar to get some more weight under my hand and it holds really, really nice. I personally really like the draw cycle on it, string angle really isn't anything to fuss over for me even with a touch longer draw, shoots a 510 grain arrow at 275 fps, its quiet as hell, and there's no post shot vibration what so ever.