Looking For options to add to my 8X42 - 15x or Spotter

I know this type of question gets asked a lot and there tons of opinions- I mainly hunt Eastern Wyoming and South Dakota for Mule deer and ocassionaly elk - not much of big open country AZ type stuff. I really dont like spotters for long term glassing but will deal with it. I currently own a pair of 8X42 Razors and had myself somewhat talked into Meopro 15X binos but I see they are out of stock at Camera Land and most other vendors. I am hoping to stay under $1100 unless it's for Meo's. If going the spotter route I see the Athlon Ares UHD looks like a good deal (value)- then I could afford a nice tripod. My current tripod is a Vortex SS-P (crappy, but it works). Looking for opinions--

I am not a trophy hunter who is going to need to count points and inches at a mile before a stalk....

1) Save the $$ and go Vortex Diamondbacks or similar Maven cheaper 15X glass and get a good tripod and head
2) Go smallish Spotter -- Athlon or better? Truck mount etc..something packable
3) Go better binos 12X Razor UHD, Maven, etc.. better glass a little less power on my existing tripod

Looking to buy soon and watching classifieds but its time to pull the trigger- leave to chase Mulies in 4 weeks HELP!!

Piranha37

FNG
I’m going to tag along on this thread if you don’t mind - I have a full size spotter but don’t take it on hike in hunts anymore, and was thinking about a Vortex 11-33 or the new Maven light spotter vs 15x binos to pair with my 10x binos.

skierhs

WKR
I’d go option 3. Use your cash and upgrade your current chest binos. I started with a hundred dollar spotting scope and upgraded to a mid tier spotter and now only run a Swaro 95mm ATX. From using a range of spotters I’ve found upgrading your chest binos to a top of the line model gives a far greater Benefit than splitting the cash and going with a cheap to middle grade spotting scope. I’d rather have a bino that costs $2400 than a spotter and bino that each costs $1200.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know much about the higher end stuff, but after using a buddy’s razors 10x42 I think I would be stoked to have yours. Glassing with 15’s of of a tripod is really nice and comfortable, so that seems like a great addition. Especially since you have a tripod, also people rave about those meopro’s. I just received a cs1 and it is light and compact, seems like quality glass too. I don’t have much to compare it to tho. My main goal with the maven spotter was phonescoping and judging bears but I don’t have to glass massive country.

OP
S
Thanks for the replies- looking hard at the Maven 11X B2's? or Razor 12X option- seems more versatile

sndmn11

WKR
You won't be able to do anything much greater with 11x than what you already have. Things will look a scoosh closer, but nothing earth shattering.
A more stable platform with make the view much more crisp, bit that means probably a pound heavier in your tripod. Well worth it in my opinion. I went from the typical Promaster 525c to a Manfrotto 055 carbon and it is night and day difference.
My wife does an outstanding job with 8x Maven B1 and 18x Maven B5. I prefer my 10x and a spotter because when I want to zoom in, I want all I can get. Unless when you are going to sit and glass you will nearly always use the 15x/18x, there's no reason for them. Generally, @KickinNDishin does just that and likes the 8x handheld for less bounce and the FOV. If that is the plan, 15x/18x are pretty rad.

If going to spotter route, try to find a used Opticron MM4, it is better than the Athlon. Another good route would be the Maven S2 (a few on here at $850ish) with a phone skope to get you some digital zoom.

JakeSCH

WKR
The way I use binos, 15's find the game and spotters are used for determining the size / legality of the game. I also spend significantly more time behind the 15's when on a tripod, so better glass helps a lot.

I would look in the classifieds for 15x / 18x binos. If you are willing to expand your budget a tiny bit, you can get pretty good glass.

Ps just glancing I saw some steiner 15x and vortex UHD's in the classifieds this morning. Those Steiner's are under rated and listed under your budget.

Reactions: WRM

WRM

WKR
That Meopta 15 is a great choice, but seemingly you already know that. Stinks they are out of stock. I know Doug at Cameraland has been high on the new Kowa binos, but don't know if they make a 15 or hit your budget range.

As noted, don't try to split the baby and get a "decent" one of each. Sounds like you are a lot like me, and the binos are way more important to me. Spend your money, even if you have to stretch a bit, and get those now. Hopefully, the spotter works itself out. I have a Kowa 500 series which is great, but I find I rarely really use it.

ZackP

WKR
The DB 15x56 aren’t worth it. Ask me how I know.

I personally just upgraded my bino’s and range finder. I ordered the Kowa Genesis from Doug, and an Outdoorsman’s bino hand to mount them on my Slik 634. Night and day difference over my previous set up.

Razor’s aren’t bad at all, so if you plan on keeping a chest bino, and adding a 15, you’re down the right path.

Meopta’s are out of stock, even directly from Meopta “until mid August” according to Erik Muller.

Another option may be the new Tract Toric in 15x56?

Ratbeetle

WKR
I've settled on 8x42s on my chest and 18x56 on a tripod. I don't really care for extended glassing with a spotter and couldn't justify packing one around just to zoom in occasionally. Like you OP, I'm looking for animals not worrying about counting kickers.

Really like 8s for hand holding and the 18s give me plenty of magnification for my hunting style.

0710210727_HDR.jpg

0710210726.jpg

Last edited:
I use a good pair of 8X33 or 10.5X44 in my chest pack or tripod and a Kowa 554 in my pack, which I don't use all that much, but sure glad it's there when I need it.

8s or 10s around your neck and 15s on a tripod should be a great setup also.

OP
S
All great advice - I appreciate it. I went to BassPro-Cabelas near me (another story- but what a shame - Id never buy there) and checked out Kaibabs and a couple spotters. I really like the 15-18x binos. Thats they way forward for me I think if I can find some.

OP
S
Yup- I used to stop there all the time on the way home from work. Today was the first time I'd been there in two months.

WRM

WKR
I'll not darken their door again.

Except to poop after I sleep in the parking lot in Mitchell, SD.

It is a big lot tho...guess I could just do it outside.

Last edited:

Blue72

WKR
I've settled on 8x42s on my chest and 18x56 on a tripod. I don't really care for extended glassing with a spotter and couldn't justify packing one around just to zoom in occasionally. Like you OP, I'm looking for animals not worrying about counting kickers.

Really like 8s for hand holding and the 18s give me plenty of magnification for my hunting style.

View attachment 312477

View attachment 312479
Great photo, approximately how far away was that?