Looking for "out of state" advice...

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Hello fellow Rokslider's my name is Juan Puente and I am 22 years old and I LOVE hunting! I have been hunting since about the age of 5 with the best hunting partner a guy could ask for, my grandfather Jose Sanchez. He has taught me everything I know about hunting and then some. I couldn't ask for a better hunting parnter than him. I just wanted to throw a little background info out there before going into my topic.
My grandpa is now 63 years old (and only getting older) and has yet to harvest a true "trophy" buck. (buck in photo is his 2nd bigggest buck in 40+ years of hunting) Just this passed Saturday I was fortunate enough to be "guiding" him when he connected on this nice "cull" buck! :) (excuse the crappy photography)
2012season290_zpsb5a0c0a1.jpg

It has been a while since we have been together on a harvest, and I was super jacked for him to say the least! To date he has harvested many deer, most of which have been does and smaller bucks. I know we might have a better chance of getting him a good buck in our home state but I would love to take him out of state very soon (like next season) if possible. And possibly have a chance at a big buck before he can't get around as well as he can now. I wouldn't normally ask for help, but being that many of the Rokslider's hunt numerous states each fall I thought I'd give it a try. Like I said, I'm really just looking for any kind of starting points. I know we would really like to hunt Colorado or Wyoming, but am open to any suggestions. Also I might add he has had numerous surgeries so a backcountry trip is pretty much out of the question, he can still get around well enough. I just would hate to have him struggle packing in the necessary gear several miles (we could possibly pack in a couple miles or so if needed). He is a hard worker and has no problem hiking alot, just he can't carry a whole lot of weight due to his past injuries. And I know most of you guys are hardcore backcountry hunters so this may be asking alot as we are not "backcountry" hunters nor are we looking for a backcountry hunt, but I know some of you are very knowledgeable when it comes to out of state hunting and such so I thought I'd ask... I am in no way intending this to be a pitty-party or wanting people to feel bad, just looking for a little help is all.
*Also, it would need to be a (preferably rifle) DIY Public Land Hunt as we do not have a lot of money to pay for a guide, nor would we want one.*
ANY info you guys may be willing to share would be greatly appreciated, so feel free to PM me or post up! Once again thank you for any and all help in advance! Good luck on your adventures this season!

You might want to add your definition of a trophy buck.

I think time is your biggest issue. There are good hunts around the west, but they may take a few years of building points. The shortcut is a landowner tag or guided hunt, but if that is not an option, you might be out of luck if your definition of a trophy is 200" for a hunter lacking full mobility.

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Sorry for not clarifying. I'm thinking 180+" And he has full mobility just probably not the ability to pack in a couple days worth of gear several miles in rough country...

ckleeves

WKR
There are some great rifle hunts in Colorado that are pretty easy physically ( my dad is 61 with really bad knees and he can do them fine) and you have a good chance at 160+ bucks pretty consistently but unfortunately as a non-res most of the units that I am familiar with are going to take about 3 points to draw. My suggestion would be to at least put in for points no matter what it at least gives you more options a few years down the road.

+++ on Colorado. There are some GREAT rifle hunts on relatively easy to draw areas (check your monstermuley.com draw odds) that are going to be easier going for him as far as mobility. The Eastern Plains are a great place but there's a lot of good bucks and a TON of Private ground to maneuver around. But the hunting there can be amazing come November with those rutting Mule Deer!!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Juan
Based on what you said, I'd recommend lots of summer scouting right here in SE and S Idaho in some of our general units. We see lots of bucks bigger than the one you show above within a 100 mile circle of where you live.

Colorado would be second choice based on distance you have to travel. It's a better mule deer state, but you don't know it well like you can Idaho. Sometimes we drive hundreds of miles to find a "better" place to hunt, meanwhile we're driving right by bucks that would meet our goals. Scouting is the great equalizer. I'd rather have a buck scouted in a general unit closer to home than a draw tag hundreds of miles away that I still need to learn.

God bless your hunting.

I second Robby's advice! There are several areas right here at home that this could become a reality with some hard work and summer/fall scouting. Do you put him in for good Idaho tags each year? You'd have SO many more advanatages and things in your favor if you did Idaho.

- Time wouldn't be as big of an issue
- Less travel
- Less cost
- You know a little about the area's you'd hunt, but much more than say an out of state hunt
- You could maximize your scouting big time here at home instead of out of state

I am not saying that you couldn't get it done out of state, I just think with the situation as you described that right here in Idaho is where you would have the best chance giving all the above factors considered. You want a lot of things in your favor when it comes to getting a trophy buck... The further away from home means less time for homework and getting familiar with the area to tip the scale in your favor.

I hope you guys figure something out!

Nick