Looking for rifle scope suggestion

Curtis C

WKR
I haven't been much into rifle hunting for several years but plan to change that in 2013. I now have a Browning A-bolt in 25wssm that needs a scope so I am hoping y'all can get me up to speed on a good setup for it. I'd like to get something that will work good for yotes and deer here in CO and then the occasional trip to TX for hogs.
Budget $400-$500 for scope, rings, bases.

Suggestions for me?

C

Ray

WKR
A leupold VX II in 3-9 with CDS turrents.

Bear basin was giving away free leupold alumina flip covers with these when I bought one in November. That is a $80 savings. Scope was the same price at Bear basin as at several other retailers $349.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't been much into rifle hunting for several years but plan to change that in 2013. I now have a Browning A-bolt in 25wssm that needs a scope so I am hoping y'all can get me up to speed on a good setup for it. I'd like to get something that will work good for yotes and deer here in CO and then the occasional trip to TX for hogs.
Budget $400-$500 for scope, rings, bases.

Suggestions for me?

C

Curtis,

I think in your price range a 3-9X42 Meopta Meopro riflescope would suite your needs quite well. Given the low bolt lift on the A-bolt, it will work spectacularly with the Meopta's large ocular assembly.

Meopro scopes have outstanding optical performance that is WAY over the price point.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
A leupold VX II in 3-9 with CDS turrents.

Bear basin was giving away free leupold alumina flip covers with these when I bought one in November. That is a $80 savings. Scope was the same price at Bear basin as at several other retailers $349.

I agree 100%
That is a great scope for the money!

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
another option I guess depends on what reticle you like but the burris 4.5-14 42mm or something like that with the E1 reticle runs about 350.00 or so that would give ya bases and rings right in your range been extremly happy with mine seems to stay true. I shoot a little flatter but when a coyote is running i wanna reference to hold the farther he is getting I know others can't stand that type of reticle others like it so just depends and another option

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The VXII has served me well and with the custom shop at Leupold you can change the reticle if desired for around $50 with a two week turnaround. Additionally, if you want to customize they have offerings such as Elk engraving, Deer etc. For the $$ and warranty tough to beat a Leupold.

a3dhunter

WKR
Curtis,

I think in your price range a 3-9X42 Meopta Meopro riflescope would suite your needs quite well. Given the low bolt lift on the A-bolt, it will work spectacularly with the Meopta's large ocular assembly.

Meopro scopes have outstanding optical performance that is WAY over the price point.

I would listen to this guy if looking to buy optics, with that being said I have been impressed with the Vortex Viper scope that I have. I would take a Vortex scope over a Leupold, but I have not had good luck with Leupold either.

OP
Curtis C

Curtis C

WKR
Great options so far.
When you order the Leupold CDS do you get a voucher to order your turret of choice or does it come equipped with a most popular CDS turret?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I would listen to this guy if looking to buy optics, with that being said I have been impressed with the Vortex Viper scope that I have. I would take a Vortex scope over a Leupold, but I have not had good luck with Leupold either.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, A3Dhunter.

While I have owned many Leupold scopes, I think riflescopes like the Meopta Meopro, Zeiss Conquest, and Vortex Viper (and Diamondback) series offer more scope for the money in the VX-2 price range. If you like the CDS style system, Vortex offers a similar system on many models.

I am completing my evaluation of the Meopta Meopro scope I recommended above, and optically it is better than a Leupold VX-3, IMO, and it is closer to my Swarovski Z3. The Meopro is really nice scope. I really like the constant eye relief fo the Meopta, while Leupold's own specs on the 3-9 VX-2 shows a variation of 1/2 inch in eye relief between 3x and 9x. Just something to think about.

The VX-2 is certainly a serviceable scope from a great company though.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You can get Vortex Viper 2-7X32s for $199. I really like these scopes for the money. Resetable turrets (which I prefer over Leupolds CDS, though I have both) The mag lever is way easier to turn up and down than a Leoupold power ring. Granted the Leupolds are lighter but a VX-2 w/CDS is roughly $300 and the Vortex Viper $199. I own both, but best buck for scope ratio the Vortex wins at that price no doubt. Even if both were $300 it'd be a tough sell to want to get the VX-2 over the Viper for me. Only reason I went with Leupolds for my backpacking rifles is my 2-7X28 on my 325 WSM is 8.4 oz vs. 13 oz for my Vortex Viper scopes and 9.3 oz for my 3-9X33 on my 308.

My 45/70 and one of my 338 WMs wear a Vortex Viper as weight isn't too big of a concern for those rifles.

mtnkid85

WKR
Only reason I went with Leupolds for my backpacking rifles is my 2-7X28 on my 325 WSM is 8.4 oz vs. 13 oz for my Vortex Viper scopes and 9.3 oz for my 3-9X33 on my 308.

My 45/70 and one of my 338 WMs wear a Vortex Viper as weight isn't too big of a concern for those rifles.

Luke, that 3-9x33 on your 308, is that the Leupold Ultra light with plain covered turrets? And is that 9.3oz your verified weight?
Just wondering what that scope actually weighs as Ive been considering it simply because it is the lightest 3-9 scope Ive found. Id hate to spend the money and find out its a few ounces heavier than advertised though...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
mntkid,

My 3-9X33 is the ultralight. It has a CDS turret so it comes in at 9.5 oz. I believe the standard turret one would come in at the listed 9.3..but really wouldn't stress of .2 oz anyways. The 2-7X28 is listed at 8.2 but mine is 8.4 again not gonna sweat .2 oz. Its on my 325 WSM that is sub 6 pounds with rifle scope and rings. My .308 is 88.6 oz with rifle scope and rings...both are great guns and I really don't shoot much beyond 300 yards as I enjoy to get as close as possible and not afraid to walk away or sit and wait to close the distance, not dedicated enough to put in the long range practice to get super proficienct way the heck out there....I always seem to find a way to get closer so 300 yards seems to work out alright for me so 3-9 and 2-7 is more than enough for me. :D

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I also have the little Viper 2-7X32. It is one of my favorite scopes. I have packed it all over, and killed this deer with it at 335 yards:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357926695.335685.jpg

Optically it has a very nice image with great resolution and good contrast. The optical performance is similar to the VX-3 line from Leupold. It is a tough little scope that over several years of hard use has not shifted zero at all. tracking is excellent, and I have even used it for dialing solutions.

My 2-7X32 Viper has the Dead Hold BDC reticle which is my favorite BDC reticle as it is subtended in fractions of MOA at max power and is easy to get your drops matched. Like Luke, I really like the mag bar for magnification changes.

I have shot it to 600 yards and further upon occasion, and find 7x sufficient magnification at those ranges.

Vortex discontinued the little Viper, but one online retailer still has some available (unfortunately that retailer doesn't sponsor Rokslide, but they should!)

The little Viper is a stellar value, and a top choice with a priority on weight. The Meostar does best it optically, but is more expensive and heavier.

Zeiss used to make a 2.5-8 Conquest, which was a great scope, and I see a similar model is coming from them, that looks really similar to the discontinued Conquest.

Floorguy

WKR
With shot show about to start I would wait and see what the different optics companies come out with. Zeiss has some interesting lower priced scopes coming out in there there 3x line

tstowater

WKR

And this is the guy that sold me one of the Leupolds that he doesn't like. My preference is VX3's over the VX2's. I would look at a VX3 in a 3.5-10. Go to a gun show or to a gun shop and look at used ones if you are interested in one of these. I'm not afraid if the glass is good.

I picked up a couple Zeiss Conquest at Cabelas on a great sale for $300 each.

tstowater

WKR
Yep.
And I told you my complaint about the leupold's before selling it to you.
You can ask Jake, I thought about putting it on my rifle, but like the vortex better.

I'm not complaining as I told you I was familiar with your concerns.:)

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite hunting scope is the Leupold VX-II in a 2-7X33 with a LRD reticle. Good quality glass for a scope in its price range. I have one on a 358 Win and on a 9.3x62 and a similar Redfield 2-7x33 on a 30-30. I will soon replace an older Bushnell 3-9X 40 scope on my 25-06 with the Leupold. I have two rifles with a 3-9X40 scopes and I see little advantage of a 3-9X40 over a 2-7X33 out from 300 to 350 yards . Long range hunters will probably disagree but a 2-7 is a great little scope for most hunting situations.