looking for scope options

waba520

FNG
looking for scope options for a 500 yard hunting gun, and a 1000 yard target gun. I want a zero stop for elevation and dont have a stong opinion on how the windage is setup. i have been looking at Vortex PST 5-25x50, and like this, except the illuminated/etched reticle.

the Vortex HSLR6-24x50 looks good too, but 6 power is getting up there for close shots, and i wanted to stay below 5 as a minimum power.

as far as max magnification, id like to be 20+

id like to stay in the $1200-1300 range.
anything else i should be looking into?

I have checked leupold, but their prices are a little steep.

I know that you have set some specific magnification ranges but I have been using a 10x42 swfa on all my hunting guns and have shot game to 500m and targets to 1300m with them with no problems. That would save you $1000 straight up. The only problem I have had with the 10x is standing shots under 50m, as you get a bit of wobble from over adjustment.
If you are set on variable then the Nightforce SHV line is excellent.

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
The Vortex PST 5-25x50 is a great choice, I think you should go with it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If you are planning on dialing for elevation and windage you want to make sure you buy a scope that has a excellent reputation in that category. Proper tracking and dialing are FAR more important than zoom range and glass to me. Especially in a long range rig.

Vortex is not known for their tracking holding true on their scopes. Some guys have had success, but lots of failures on detailed test reports using tracking boards for verification.

I’ve been recommended, with field data to back it up, Nightforce, SFWA, Huskemaw, and Meopta.

Reactions: BCD
OP
W

waba520

FNG
opinions on the vortex PST? LOTS of them for sale in the classifieds here is kindof concerning......

BuckSnort

WKR
Are you new to twisting turrets?

I ask because if so then a fixed power SWFA will be money well spent to learn dialing for longer shots, If you need a little more than 6x or 10X their 3-15 variable might suit you better.. You will not lose much money if you run either of them and decide to buy another scope, they hold their value... You would be surprised how far you can shoot accurately with the SWFA fixed 6x....

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You must not be concerned about dialing and tracking if you keep bringing up vortex scopes. For wanting to shoot 1,000 yards as you stated this is interesting.

LaHunter

WKR
looking for scope options for a 500 yard hunting gun, and a 1000 yard target gun. I want a zero stop for elevation and dont have a stong opinion on how the windage is setup. i have been looking at Vortex PST 5-25x50, and like this, except the illuminated/etched reticle.

the Vortex HSLR6-24x50 looks good too, but 6 power is getting up there for close shots, and i wanted to stay below 5 as a minimum power.

as far as max magnification, id like to be 20+

id like to stay in the $1200-1300 range.
anything else i should be looking into?

I have checked leupold, but their prices are a little steep.
Check out the Nightforce SHV 5-20X56mm scope. It seems pretty close to what you describe. The SHV has a solid reputation for reliability, good glass, and the MOAR reticle is a good reticle that isn't too cluttered.

OP
W

waba520

FNG
i am new to dialing, but an experienced shooter. im a buy once kinda guy, so im going to likely buy more that I need. the Nightforce 5-20x56 looks sweet, and is lighter than the PST 5-25x50 but really pushing the limits of my budget. I do really like Vortex, #1 because of their warranty, I own alot of vortex products and i have never been disappointed. but i also dont want my brand loyalty to falsly lead me into buying an inferior product..... if the night force and PST were the same price id buy the night force, but if i have issues with the vortex ill just send it in...

Rob5589

WKR
I have used Vortex PST and Razor, both first gens, and never had an issue. Both tracked true and returned to zero. Both were used for shooting comps where we constantly dialed. That said, if I did it again, I would lean heavily toward the NF SHV scope in the 1300 price range.

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Vortex PST and Razor, both first gens, and never had an issue. Both tracked true and returned to zero. Both were used for shooting comps where we constantly dialed. That said, if I did it again, I would lean heavily toward the NF SHV scope in the 1300 price range.

What do you prefer about the night force?

LaHunter

WKR
i am new to dialing, but an experienced shooter. im a buy once kinda guy, so im going to likely buy more that I need. the Nightforce 5-20x56 looks sweet, and is lighter than the PST 5-25x50 but really pushing the limits of my budget. I do really like Vortex, #1 because of their warranty, I own alot of vortex products and i have never been disappointed. but i also dont want my brand loyalty to falsly lead me into buying an inferior product..... if the night force and PST were the same price id buy the night force, but if i have issues with the vortex ill just send it in...
The NF SHV 5-20X56mm with non illuminated MOAR reticle is within your stated budget of $1200-$1300.

LaHunter

WKR
The NF SHV 5-20X56mm has a 'zero set' feature on the elevation turret, which is different than the zero lock feature on the NXS and ATACAR models. With the Zero Set feature, once you zero your scope, you loosen the set screws on the elevation turret and push down the cap/dial till it bottoms out, tighten the set screws and it is set. With this feature, the scope is unable to dial downward due to the turret cap being 'bottomed out'. The windage dial is capped and does not have this feature. I have 2 of the C-534 models.

Last edited:

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
The Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 MOAR Non-illuminated "demo" is selling on Redhawk rifles for $1099 + $7.95 flat rate shipping. And I've bought their demos. Other than being open box you can't tell them apart from new. That's well beneath your budget for a great optic that checks all your boxes...