Looking for simple, rugged, comfortable, long lasting expedition pack.

Can anyone recommend me a pack that is simple, rugged, and carries up to 60-70lbs comfortably? I don’t backpack hunt but I do a lot of mountaineering in adverse terrain and conditions, and I want something rugged and reliable. I’m looking to find something that will last a long time. I recently purchased a Seek Outside custom 5400 series. I really enjoy the simplicity and features of this pack, unfortunately I’m having some issues with durability of the stitching, and the hipbelt is a little thin, and moves around a lot. I’ve used a lot of other packs by Osprey and Kelt, and have never had this hipbelt issue, I don’t prefer those packs howeve, because of all the zippers. I’ve been looking at Kifaru, and hill people gear

The HPG packs are tough, I have a couple and they carry great for me.
More weight than the seek, and the webbing is stiff.
Did you try to capture the hipbelt on your Seek? They will fix any stitching under warranty

zacattack

WKR
I’ve had a kifaru AMR and currently the ma deuce. They did discontinue the AMR I believe but it’s a large open top sack with 2 outside pockets already sewn in. Used ones pop up all the time in the classifieds. I would recommend it, mine was built like a damn tank.

OP
C
The HPG packs are tough, I have a couple and they carry great for me.
More weight than the seek, and the webbing is stiff.
Did you try to capture the hipbelt on your Seek? They will fix any stitching under warranty
Yes, the hipbelt is capture, and has the lumbar pad, is the 500d corduroy used by HPG, more durable the the green xpac used by seek outside?

OP
C
I reached out already about the stitching, I really enjoy the packs features, and overall comfort when hauling gear, however I’m concerned about long term use if the other seams will have issues.

Take a look at Stone Glacier. A very well constructed no frills pack, and they have a reputation for their ability to carry heavy loads. I don’t know how big of a pack you want but they have a 7900ci bag and you can ad the 2500ci dry cell. That is one heck of a lot of gear. I have used the Avail for work for about a year and a half. Other than dirty it shows no sign of wear. I also have the 5900 and 3300 bags both are made with the same materials and construction. I am not a fan of elastic in pack construction as it doesn’t last more than a couple of years. Stone Glacier doesn’t use any. This was a large reason why I went with SG. They are built to last.

Cant beat an old ALICE pack on a Mystery Ranch NICE frame.........

I abused mine for several years going to shitty countries.

I really like the Kifaru Mountain Warrior with a guide lid. Works really good for me on trips up to 7 nights. I’ve done a couple trips up to 10 nights, I had to put spotting scope pockets on each side for those longer trips.
The frame and bag are both very, very durable. The Mountain Warrior bag is very simple and works great. It has just enuff organization pockets for me.

ZDR

WKR
Kifaru frame with a Tahr or Markhor bag...a simple, clean design. Add pockets if you need more room.

I used to do a lot of mountaineering and the Kifaru 14r is my favorite of a long list of packs I have used over the years. But its only 2400ci or so...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks! How does the quality of stone glacier vs kifaru vs hpg compare?
They are all top quality, I doubt youd find much difference in quality between the 3 brands. All of them have an excellent reputation for craftsmanship, quality and reliablity of the company.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think I would spend the money on a Kifaru frame and bag if I wasn’t hoping to pack out meat.

I’ve owned a Seek Outside pack and currently own a HPG Umlindi. I liked the X-Pac material quite a bit, but 500D probably does feel a bit beefier and more durable.

If it were me, I think the best value for a bombproof pack would be a used Mystery Ranch. And since you’re not hunting, I would think one of their backpacking lines like the Terraframe, if they still make that, would fit the bill perfectly.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I said “used” because I had in mind getting one of their old Made In the USA bags. I’m given to understand that they aren’t all made here anymore, but I’m not sure. Someone that knows can set me straight on that.

Last edited: