Looking for Sitka Recommendations

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the beginning stages of planning a 2021 Sitka hunt. I have a buddy that lives in Anchorage that is suggesting Thorne Bay Lodge. From the research I've done, it seems like thick country and not the alpine, open country of other places, but it's reasonably priced. There will be 3-4 of us going.

We are looking for a DIY hunt. My dream is hunting and staying on a boat, but the price tag is way too high from what I've seen.

Anyone have any recommendations? Drop off? Skiff rentals? Thorne Bay Lodge experience? I'm hoping to keep the transport/lodging fees under 2500 per person.

Thanks

ramses342

FNG
SE Alaskan here. I have heard good things about POW the last few years although everyone basically agrees it is on the decline it is still producing some quality bucks, everyone I know goes over on the Inter-island Ferry and camps I do not know anyone that has stayed at a cabin or lodge. The islands here in SE go through these 15 to 20 year boom and bust cycles. On POW five years ago guys would go over on a boat and have everyone shoot three or four in a day load up the boat for the trip back, from what I have heard it is not like that anymore. I just joined Rokslide so I cannot send PM's for a week but I know of a much cheaper and I think much better option you might be interested in which I can send you if you are interested.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
What time of year are you planning on going up? August/September vs October/November would make a huge difference in the recommendation for me. Are you trying to piggyback on bear or fishing at the same time?

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
I live on and hunt POW, and with the predator issues going on, I recommend you spend your $ on a Kodiak hunt. And I am not saying that to steer guys away from where I live.

There are still nice animals on POW but the amount of time/effort it takes compared to 5 years ago is unreal.

SteveOtt

FNG
Went to POW this year for the first time. I would avoid mid October! Very slow for me but still enjoyed the island and went home with some meat....

Alaska Airlines to Ketchikan then Island Air express to Klawock. Round trip from KTN to AKW is around 400. Car rental around $100 a day. Look into public use cabins. Rustic but affordable if you’re looking to DIY.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I'm in the beginning stages of planning a 2021 Sitka hunt. I have a buddy that lives in Anchorage that is suggesting Thorne Bay Lodge. From the research I've done, it seems like thick country and not the alpine, open country of other places, but it's reasonably priced. There will be 3-4 of us going.

We are looking for a DIY hunt. My dream is hunting and staying on a boat, but the price tag is way too high from what I've seen.

Anyone have any recommendations? Drop off? Skiff rentals? Thorne Bay Lodge experience? I'm hoping to keep the transport/lodging fees under 2500 per person.

Thanks

Message sent.

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
At this point in the cycle Kodiak is doing great you should consider that in your planing.

POW seems to be on a decline. My opinion is probably not popular but when they put NR on a draw for black bears this was guaranteed because the resident really don't hunt them at least not enough to matter. When we used to bait there if you stayed too late and the fawns dropped you hunt was over. Those bears gobbled up the fawns like bon bons.