Looking for some advice on binos

Firehawk

WKR
My Kowa Genesis 10.5x44's are as good as anything out there maybe short of the newest offerings from the big three, but probably very close. They are a true Alpha binocular...Also, was able to get them from Doug at CL four around 1k....Nothing better out there in that price range...IMHO
I have always been shy of the Kowa because they aren't threaded for a tripod adapter. Have you used them on a tripod? If so, what method did you use and do you like it?

I like my Kowa 774 spotter quite a lot and can see that they know glass. Just stayed away due to that. Which is funny, because my Swaro ELs have to be sent off to Outdoorsman's to have the stud installed by a machinist. Go figure.

FH

My Kowa Genesis 10.5x44's are as good as anything out there maybe short of the newest offerings from the big three, but probably very close. They are a true Alpha binocular...Also, was able to get them from Doug at CL four around 1k....Nothing better out there in that price range...IMHO
It’s encouraging to see so many folks in this thread very satisfied with their binocular choices. That speaks very clearly to the increasing quality of many current offerings at the ~$1k price-point, and should reassure all that many of these binoculars offer a comparable level of performance. That’s great for all of us.

The gulf in performance between mid-grade and alpha has certainly diminished over the past decade or so, but it is definitely still there. Today’s mid-grades are quality optical instruments, but the true Alphas do many things just a bit better/smoother/sharper/easier. Collectively, it makes an Alpha a noticeably better product. So, are the Kowa Genesis, Monarch HG, Zeiss Conquest, GPO, etc, Alphas? No, but they are great binoculars. Those who directly compare will likely find the EL, NL and SF in a different class, but whether one wants to pay often over twice as much for that upgrade is an increasingly difficult choice. Today’s mid-grades are a great value.

In addition to the fine list of options that Doug provided I would also recommend trying the new Maven B6 10x50. Some very experienced optics aficionados have given it very positive reviews. The specs are very intriguing - they are a 10x50 with the form factor and weight of many comparable 10x42s.

But these or any other on Doug‘s list will make a fine glass. I will add that the Conquest HDs have kind of become the reference standard for comparison in this class.

In addition to the fine list of options that Doug provided I would also recommend trying the new Maven B6 10x50. Some very experienced optics aficionados have given it very positive reviews. The specs are very intriguing - they are a 10x50 with the form factor and weight of many comparable 10x42s.

But these or any other on Doug‘s list will make a fine glass. I will add that the Conquest HDs have kind of become the reference standard for comparison in this class.
Well put.

It’s encouraging to see so many folks in this thread very satisfied with their binocular choices. That speaks very clearly to the increasing quality of many current offerings at the ~$1k price-point, and should reassure all that many of these binoculars offer a comparable level of performance. That’s great for all of us.

The gulf in performance between mid-grade and alpha has certainly diminished over the past decade or so, but it is definitely still there. Today’s mid-grades are quality optical instruments, but the true Alphas do many things just a bit better/smoother/sharper/easier. Collectively, it makes an Alpha a noticeably better product. So, are the Kowa Genesis, Monarch HG, Zeiss Conquest, GPO, etc, Alphas? No, but they are great binoculars. Those who directly compare will likely find the EL, NL and SF in a different class, but whether one wants to pay often over twice as much for that upgrade is an increasingly difficult choice. Today’s mid-grades are a great value.
Well said

schmalzy

WKR
If you’re patient you can find ELs or Zeiss Victory Sfs pretty close to 1500 point on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one can send you a definite answer of what ~$1000 option is clearly better as everyone has different eyes and preferences. Many of the ones mentioned here are very good and all have weaker and stronger points. I tried a lot of different bins in the $1000-$2000 range and ended up with the cabelas/meostars. The decision can be difficult as you can’t compare binos in the store very well. Your best bet (without field testing them all your self) is identify what factors matter to you most ( weight, CA, FOV) and choose from there. Again, if your not a glass affectionado you won’t notice a big difference in a lot the recommendations mentioned here.