Looking for some advice on binos

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,
I am currently looking at the Zeiss conquest 10x42 binos. Is there anything in the 1000 to 1500 price range that you guys feel are better? Trying to find a pair binos that will be in my chest Harness but can put on a tri pod as well.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Leica Trinovid

Kowa Genesis

Zeiss Conquest HD

GPO Passion HD

Sig Sauer Zulu 9

As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider

You'll be hard-pressed to find a better deal than this in that price range.

mwh624

FNG
Jumping on this thread as I'm in the exact same boat. Of the the 10x42 $1k option, is one noticeably brighter than the others?

Hi,
I am currently looking at the Zeiss conquest 10x42 binos. Is there anything in the 1000 to 1500 price range that you guys feel are better? Trying to find a pair binos that will be in my chest Harness but can put on a tri pod as well.
No. I've owned everything in the 1k+ range and to my eyes, the Conquest HD's are the cream of that crop.

I've had the 10x32's, 8x32's and 10x42's and now all I carry are the 8x32's. Of the Conquest line, I think the 8x32's are the best of the bunch with the 10x42's close behind. Be sure to call Zeiss and ask for the extended eyecups if you're going to be using them without glasses. It makes a big difference.

OP
L

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
No. I've owned everything in the 1k+ range and to my eyes, the Conquest HD's are the cream of that crop.

I've had the 10x32's, 8x32's and 10x42's and now all I carry are the 8x32's. Of the Conquest line, I think the 8x32's are the best of the bunch with the 10x42's close behind. Be sure to call Zeiss and ask for the extended eyecups if you're going to be using them without glasses. It makes a big difference.
Thanks, will do. I feel like you can’t go wrong with zeiss. I bought a scope earlier this year and am very happy with it

OP
L

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
Meh.

I'd never try to talk anyone out of a pair of SLC's if that's what they want, but I wouldn't trade you my Conquest HD's for your SLC's if we were both glassing on a hillside. I've owned two pairs of late model SLC's and my Conquest HD's out-resolve them - again, to MY eyes.
Thanks

The Conquest is one of the only models in the $1k range I haven't owned for a while or looked through.

My personal favorites in that price category are:

Nikon Monarch HG

Maven B2, B6, or B1.2

Meopta Meostar HD
I've owned the Monarch HG and Meostar HD but not the Mavens.

Neither the Monarch HG's or the Meostar HD's are as bright as the Conquest HD's to my eyes. That's the only knock I have on them. Otherwise, great optics.

Hoodie

WKR
Brightness seems to be the standout feature people talk about with the Conquests. From what I recall they outperformed the SLC in Allbino's transmission test.

In that price range it's usually going to come down to minor personal preferences.

If CA is a major problem for OP, nothing corrects it better at $1k than a Meostar. It's basically non-existent. They are, however, heavy. Probably also extremely difficult to knock out of collimation.

The Monarch HG is really light. Like close to a 32mm bino light. Bright image, and good color saturation (to me anyway). Edge performance is better than Meopta (though not a true flat-field). CA is high enough at the edge of the image to be noticeable. Maybe some durability concerns with armoring (definitely a bino I'd wear in a chest harness).

The Maven B series are just good all around performers. I would imagine the Conquests are as well. GPO and Tract are worth a look too. Lots of solid options at that price made by Kamakura.

Firehawk

WKR
Maven B2 9 or 11x45 (I preferred the 9x), Maven B1.2, Meopta Meostar, and Vortex Razors were all better in my experience, to my eyes, than the limited amount of time I spent with the Conquests. Isn't that funny? Everyone's eyes are different. I thought the Maven B2 was the best of the group. That said, add $450 and that deal on the ELs posted above should definitely be considered. That is a SCREAMING good deal if it is legit.

Meh.

I'd never try to talk anyone out of a pair of SLC's if that's what they want, but I wouldn't trade you my Conquest HD's for your SLC's if we were both glassing on a hillside. I've owned two pairs of late model SLC's and my Conquest HD's out-resolve them - again, to MY eyes.
The OP asked for suggestions and I gave a response. Like my response, don’t like my response. I personally do not care.

Everyone’s eyes are different so folks should run what works best for them.

The OP asked for suggestions and I gave a response. Like my response, don’t like my response. I personally do not care.

Everyone’s eyes are different so folks should run what works best for them.
You personally don't care, so you wrote that response. Okay.

If you prefer the SLC's, great. Lots of folks do and for good reason. They are exceptional bins.

270quest

WKR
My Kowa Genesis 10.5x44's are as good as anything out there maybe short of the newest offerings from the big three, but probably very close. They are a true Alpha binocular...Also, was able to get them from Doug at CL four around 1k....Nothing better out there in that price range...IMHO