Looking for some guidance in buying boots - expectations

cmeier117

WKR
I have had good luck with lowa tibets and Crispi Idaho's and hanwag Alaskans. I have heard great things with lathrop!

Daniel_M

WKR
I too am in the midst of the great boot debacle. My tall, slender build on a half size sub-14 has been tough to find a boot that will lace well. I've been through 3 pairs over the past few years, all of which were great out the gate but over time required some volume changes. End result was always the same, heal lift. Which to me isn't an option. Feet are top priority in the field.

That said, Im working with Lathrop and Sons on a new boot for 2015. My experience so far has been great and I look forward to getting my next buy right the first time.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I went through the same thing last year. I live in Wisconsin and all my friends just deer hunt, so I had to figure it out myself. The boots at Cabelas just did not seem up to the task either. Researching boots for months was my answer. Hunting rifle mostly finds me in the mountains later in the year. I chose the Lowa Hunter GTX EVO Extreme boots and have been quite happy. Western Hunter magazine did a big article about boots last year and Eastman's wrote something up as well. See what others have said on here as well. Its an individual thing though and you may need to just order some up and check them out. Make sure they have a good return policy. Lowa is the only boot worth mentioning that I have experience with. I am happy with the performance and quality.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whether you use Lathrop & Sons or another service, the key component is fit and the right boot. Quality is high on the list, but matching the right boot to your chosen task and one that fits you well is key. There a ton of great, high quality boots on the market. Its just difficult to pick the right boot for the right task and ensure your fit is good. Some guys get lucky, some of us struggle. It would be awesome if there was a boot shop, full of hunters, who could do what L&S does right down the street from me, but no go. As such L&S did a great job matching a boot to me that not only fits me, but is tailored to my chosen pursuits. Its not for everyone, but if you need the help they are a great resource. If you have such a shop in your town, help them stay in business. A good boot shop, with a good fitter, who understands your passion is an amazing resource.

I know guys who ski a lot and they will actually travel great distances to get a good fit and then stick with that boot fitter come hell or high water.

Last edited:

waterrat

FNG
I've used most of the boots but have always gone right back to Meindal's. kennetrek's tore me to bite,lowa sheephunters never conformed to my feet,danners crippled me,etc,etc meindal canada boots never gave me a bit of a problem,if you put them on wet and they dry on your feet as the day progresses.

waterrat

FNG
HC He was taken in the western Alaska range,, 45" but only scored 169 B&C, I guided another hunter to this guy in the same drainage about a week later!
I was in there last year and saw another monster but it was blowing,raining,combined with only a rear moving shot at 515 yds, I just couldn't take the chance. Hopefully time allows me to get back this sept!

OP
IanF.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Dr. Prescribed orthotics, he said he can tune them to whatever boots I get as well...

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
HC He was taken in the western Alaska range,, 45" but only scored 169 B&C, I guided another hunter to this guy in the same drainage about a week later!
I was in there last year and saw another monster but it was blowing,raining,combined with only a rear moving shot at 515 yds, I just couldn't take the chance. Hopefully time allows me to get back this sept!

Some good looking rams! I need to hunt where you hunt! ;)

I wear Dr. Prescribed orthotics, he said he can tune them to whatever boots I get as well...
Sounds like you have a good plan going. I had to wear some orthotics a few years back until I recovered from Plantar fasciitis.

Along with all this talk about proper fitting boots, how about some discussion about proper socks. what kind of liner socks, wool socks, no liner, synthetic etc. The right fit? The different materials and how they work. Real world benefits, warm, cool, dry? what works good and what doesn't?

I have been wearing some Cabelas Ultimax liners with various Head wool socks or Smartwool, Danner merino, and Cabelas Outfitter. I have other liners but some like Coolmax just make my feet cold. I have one pair of Thermastat liners that are really good.

I have just purchased a couple pair of FL socks since Christmas but haven't tried them out yet. Didn't get the compression though, just the Mountain Athlete crew.

OP
IanF.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
Injinji liners for me and darn tough full cushion - blister prevention is a key part of my system