looking for some ideas on a couple Wilderness areas in CO

Brillo

FNG
You gotta start somewhere and this is a great place to get help...after you learn what questions to ask. I was in your boots last year and it is daunting to look at all that geography and figure it out. Plus, you need to figure out how to hunt elk. Elk are not whitetail even though some of the techniques can apply. Try looking at some of the help websites like go-hunt or elk101, etc. You pay and get some helpful information for your dollars though a website can not replace real world experience. Someone can tell you about blowdown but until you experience it, you just won't understand. Concurrently search and study forums like this one until you are sick of it. Take notes. Then decide who to reach out to in a PM and ask general questions. No one will, or should, spoon feed you but most are very responsive and encouraging. Get in shape dude! Really get in shape. Even the best plan you can put together is useless unless you can execute. Good luck.

I think he meant the people asking for free help and not wanting to put in the work…. More Guys are gonna just draw tags and then expect others to tell them how to hunt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No thats not what i meant and no not all units are draw units. However more proposals to turn some otc units to draw units are expected so this will push even more into the otc units. If you think its been bad the last couple years, you aint seen nothin yet. My prediction? Within 5 years CO will be all draw for archery elk.

I don't know the breakdown of archery tags sold versus rifle tags sold in Colorado (draw and/or OTC). All draw would put a big damper on revenue, and I don't see states wanting to reduce what they bring in from tag sales.

When you say more proposals are expected, that would say there are already some on the table. I'd be very interested to see more information about it.

ColoradoV

WKR
Almost everyone I talk with thinks elk in Colorado should have done all draw 10 years ago.

Double the price on all tags as well as lip rippin tickets and the funding is there.

Not sure why Colorado hates its resident hunters so much but the poor treatment has gotten to the point that residents have learned from the wolvers and a ballot issue will be on the way to address this if a more equitable solution is not reached.

cnelk

WKR
When you say more proposals are expected, that would say there are already some on the table. I'd be very interested to see more information about it.

Here ya go - click on the Meeting Dates > Associated Files / Rule Making Notice to see the agenda and what's being proposed

ToolMann

WKR
Here ya go - click on the Meeting Dates > Associated Files / Rule Making Notice to see the agenda and what's being proposed

Do you know if past meetings are recorded? Would love to see the November meeting discussion and outcome.

Thanks for the links and website info. I've been searching through the CPW in for and reading but cannot find the specific elements about otc units becoming all draw as per the discussion we've been having. Any specific place to look?

Thanks for the links and website info. I've been searching through the CPW in for and reading but cannot find the specific elements about otc units becoming all draw as per the discussion we've been having. Any specific place to look?

The discussion was part of a survey CPW put out in oct-nov. it’s never been a “CPW is going to turn otc into draw” it’s been CPW asking for the publics input on their opinions. The info is disclosed, until CPW goes over it, NOTHING will happen until the END of current 5 year structure unless it is a “dire” emergency which is 2 more seasons of the current OTC, and Draw tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
I posted this awhile back

Looks like four OTC GMUs are being considered to go to draw

And as the 1-4 units slowly go to draw, our places that we're trying to keep quiet are getting infiltrated by guys looking for other OTC areas. I normally see the same guys year after year. Not this past.

Thanks for that specific info, one of the units they are considering to go to draw for archery is one I hunt during rifle season.