Looking for some insight

Dcrafton

WKR
My three buddies and I have a challenge against each other.
Who can get the most accurate rifle for the least amount of money. (New rifle or build set up)
Rifle, scope, rings and mount. Any big game setup.
Looking for some thoughts on this setup.
Winner gets bragging rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
Yes, the only restrictions we put on the challenge is the rifle setup itself.
As cheap as possible.
We all have high end setups but though this could be fun.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a lot of fun. Will follow along to see how this turns out. Can see this turning into a great thread for the budget minded or new shooter/hunter.

What distance is the accuracy test?

Jimbob

WKR
You have multiple variables going on here, accuracy and price. Do have a way to score each category? What if the guy with the most expensive rifle is the most accurate?

Or did you put a cap on the rifle price?

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
The distance will start at 100 yards and end at 1000 yards or where we can’t hit the target anymore.

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
You have multiple variables going on here, accuracy and price. Do have a way to score each category? What if the guy with the most expensive rifle is the most accurate?

Or did you put a cap on the rifle price?

We haven’t figured out all the ins and outs yet.
Just as cheap as possible and most accurate.
We all are kinda headed at ultra cheap right now.
Knowing my buddies, we won’t be pushing the envelope on cost, we will be going down and dirty most likely.

Probably a Tikka or Savage rifle.
Smaller caliber bullets are inherently more accurate, so 7mm or 6.5.
To get to 1k you’ll want a good BC for wind and drop mitigation.

I’m thinking a 6.5 creed or 7mm rem mag.

SWFA 6x or 10x Super sniper scope.

Should be able to do it for less than $1k

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
Probably a Tikka or Savage rifle.
Smaller caliber bullets are inherently more accurate, so 7mm or 6.5.
To get to 1k you’ll want a good BC for wind and drop mitigation.

I’m thinking a 6.5 creed or 7mm rem mag.

SWFA 6x or 10x Super sniper scope.

Should be able to do it for less than $1k

I’m hoping to be less than $500.

That’s where I’m at a lose. I’ve always leaned at over the top.

I would look at ease of shooting. Combine a 6 or 6.5 with a break and you are looking at an intrinsically accurate round with no recoil.

I’m hoping to be less than $500.

Rifle, scope, rings, and mounts less than $500.
Used I assume. Good luck, the user market prices are steep these days.

Maybe find an old used Savage 110 in 243 win with a Tasco or other cheap scope on it at a Pawn shop.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I would probably try to find a Ruger American, Savage Axis, or something else that's sub-$400 and generally known for being accurate. Maybe look on the used market. You should also be able to save a bit on optics by going used/demo, and don't get carried away with magnification.

Seems like 6.5 Creedmoor is a decent route to go ...if you already have the ammunition! A high dollar rifle with the wrong ammo will certainly be outshot by a low dollar rig with the right stuff. Do you handload? If so, what are you set up for?

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
I would probably try to find a Ruger American, Savage Axis, or something else that's sub-$400 and generally known for being accurate. Maybe look on the used market. You should also be able to save a bit on optics by going used/demo, and don't get carried away with magnification.

Seems like 6.5 Creedmoor is a decent route to go ...if you already have the ammunition! A high dollar rifle with the wrong ammo will certainly be outshot by a low dollar rig with the right stuff. Do you handload? If so, what are you set up for?

We all hand load and all have shot in different competitions from time to time.
This just seemed like fun. Having to take it from 100 to a 1000 will be the challenge with a low end scope. But we are all excited about this. We are looking at around April or May for a deadline.

We all hand load and all have shot in different competitions from time to time.
This just seemed like fun. Having to take it from 100 to a 1000 will be the challenge with a low end scope. But we are all excited about this. We are looking at around April or May for a deadline.

I guess just buy a cheap 110 savage combo at Walmart for $400, keep the extra $100 for your buddie's favorite booze.
Get them a little sauced before the shoot, they won't see shit with those junk scopes

Fatcamp

WKR
Ruger American in 6.5 with a 10X SWFA. Use a DNZ Game reaper to mount it. Can probably find most of it used.

rclouse79

WKR
Doesn’t sound very interesting for bragging rights. At least make the losers do something uncomfortable, like a minute head stand with a mouth full of jalapeños. I bet that would give you a little more motivation to research a solid combo and win. I like savage as far as bang for your buck. Tikka is better but more money.