Looking for some insight

rclouse79

WKR
Important question. How do you actually win? Is the lowest $ inch value for the total cost multiplied by the total group size the winner? I guess it doesn’t really matter if it is just for bragging rights. Consider the jalapeños.

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
I also assume the cost is based on fair market price? Your buddies might be pissed when they have an inverted mouth full of jalapeños after you show up with your custom rifle your uncle sold you for $50.

Motown

WKR
Ruger American Predator or the TC Venture. Top it off with a $160 Burris Fullfield 2 and go kick their asses!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
And shoot reliably at long range?

Savage Axis, Howa 1500, or Ruger American.

Used SWFA SS 10x or 12x, cheap rings won't hurt it, and blue loctite everywhere including inside the rings...

I built a Savage 12FV with SWFA and take off Accustock for under $800 and shot my first groups at 1000 with factory match ammo. $500 is a low number, and harder with the great pandemic/Biden panic of 2020.

robtattoo

WKR
Savage Axis (used) in Manbun. $300, tops around here at this time of year (I paid $200 for mine in. 223)

Used Bushnell 4-14x50 around $80ish (i'm assuming you'll only be dialing for the duration of the contest)

I reckon with some judicial searching on your local, state hunting- forums, pawn shops & yard sales, you could do this for under $350

Ruger American with the packaged Crossfire scope. 270 Win using commercial 150 gr Winchester Expedition Big Game. This was shot "as is" from the manufacturer. This is a friend's rifle.

Three shot group @ 100 using a bipod up front and a rear bag. It was dead on out to 400 yards (longest distance available at that range). Would have zero issues taking this out much much further once chronographed.

For 0.5 MOA targets the Crossfire scope was the limiting factor. But go with 1 MOA or larger targets (and good lighting) there's no issue.

You absolutely should be able to do this for under $500 excluding ammo. It demonstrates a great point: you do not need to spend a lot of money to get a fully capable and (relatively) highly accurate rifle. There was an article a few years ago about "reaching 1000" for under $1000. The article showed that it was entirely doable with little issue (other than shooter skill).

Rug.jpg