looking for suggestion on elk rifle glass

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting the Leupold Mark 5 HD 18x on a 30 Nosler and 6.5.... I love the scope. The 35 mm tube is noticeable, glass is great, and the turrets are money. I dial constantly on all rifles out to around 1k and the turrets have have returned flawlessly. I also really like how compact the scope is... had been great out in the field hunting.

gearguywb

WKR
First you need to decide on first or second focal plain. Big difference in visibility of the reticle in very dim/dark conditions.

NX8=FFP
NXS/SHV=SFP

Wapiti1

WKR
First you need to decide on first or second focal plain. Big difference in visibility of the reticle in very dim/dark conditions.

NX8=FFP
NXS/SHV=SFP

And how far away you want to shoot at objects, verse animals. Do you even want to dial?

Different suggestions for different needs. A NF SHV 3-10 would handle 90% of anyone's shooting needs. How important is that last 10% for stretching out farther than 500 yards?

Jeremy

Put a Kahles on it. Mine is awesome I and use all the "tactical" features. You would save about 10 ounces going with a similar power Swarovski.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
This is all I considered for my elk rifle, a lightweight 30-06, when I went through the process (there are however certainly a few more scopes worthy of consideration). I no longer consider any scope that doesn't have a stellar reputation for zero retention, tracking repeatability, or mechanical ruggedness. There is too much on the line with back country hunts to risk scope failure from mechanically inferior optics, regardless of OEM warranty and customer service.

SWFA SS HD 3-9×42 if you want FFP (my current favorite scope). FOV, brightness, resolution, and ability to see the reticle in low light is as good or better than Euro alpha glass I compared them to.

SWFA SS 6x42 if you want a fixed magnification.

Nightforce SHV/NXS or Tract Toric 2-10x42 if you want a SFP. The Tract came in 2nd behind the SWFA 3-9×42 when I recently performed a low light test comparing them against a Leupold FX-3 6x42 and Swaro Z6. The Tract also has 4" of eye relief that is easy to get behind.

Good luck!

I’ve got a Leupold VX6HD 2x12x42 brand new in the box for $1175 if you are interested. It’s for the Firedot Duplex reticle. I am going to post it in the classifieds this week. Located in Houston but can ship wherever.

OP
L
Thanks all, I am going to do some research on the suggestions provided, and also look in the classifieds. I think for me personally (being a white tail hunter, switching to elk), I wouldn't want to take a shot over 400 yards at an animal.

DMurphy

FNG

I am planning my first rifle elk hunt. I have not hunted out west before. Is there a tripod that works both for binos and rifle? Am I overlooking something obvious? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BCD

WKR
I was in your shoes last year and went with the SWFA 3-9 and it performed perfectly on my first elk 2 weeks ago. I would also consider the Vortex Razor LHT

Check out the Vortex LHT. Very bright and I love the reticle. It’s SFP which I really like on the low end mag. It has a great field of view.

Not sure where your hunting elk but where I am they are going to be in the timber or out open 400-800. First or last light is your best odds. I switched to a bushnell LRHS this year which is the first FFP I have ever used. Shooting extensively on range this is an amazing scope that performs.
In the elk woods I was wishing I had a SFP scope. The reticle is just to small on the low end and not visible at last light compared to a SFP. I also could not quickly pick up a point of aim on elk in dark timber.

Next year I will be looking towards the Zeiss v4 or the vortex LHT. I really like the Zeiss feel and finish but not a fan of reticle offerings for short to mid range work. I have had a Nightforce SHV 3-10 in the past and that scope just plane worked. Feature wise though it gives up a lot to others in price range.