Looking for suggestions on Newfoundland Moose Hunt

GatorMike

FNG
A Moose hunts on my bucket list as is with many hunters. I have literally watched every video, visited every outfitter site, and so on. It is almost impossible to gauge who the best outfitters are that have a high success rate for 40-50inch Bulls(rifle hunt), how much taxidermy costs will run, and total cost of meat processing and shipping methods to Florida will cost....any help is appreciated.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from a successful moose hunt in British Columbia, I know it’s not in Newfoundland, but I can give you my summary of expenses and experience. If you’d like.

OP
G

GatorMike

FNG
I just got back from a successful moose hunt in British Columbia, I know it’s not in Newfoundland, but I can give you my summary of expenses and experience. If you’d like.

Yes please....I would appreciate that

PA Hunter

WKR
A Moose hunts on my bucket list as is with many hunters. I have literally watched every video, visited every outfitter site, and so on. It is almost impossible to gauge who the best outfitters are that have a high success rate for 40-50inch Bulls(rifle hunt), how much taxidermy costs will run, and total cost of meat processing and shipping methods to Florida will cost....any help is appreciated.
There are allot of moose in Newfoundland but 50 in is not the norm at all. Actually 40 inch is not the norm. If you just want a good chance at a bull great place but if you are looking complete trophy I wouldn’t recommend it. It is a heck of allot cheaper than Alaska though.

what people don’t realize is each outfitter may have multiple camps that are completely different with different head guides running each camp. Each camp is like a separate outfitter realistically and they may hunt completely different methods. Simply me telling you a good outfitter in my opinion may not be so good depending which camp you go to or which guide you get within that camp.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
Yes please....I would appreciate that
It was a 2/1 10 day Guided hunt Me and my dad, We hunted for eight days there was a two day weather delay getting in. There were two other hunters in camp on a 2/1 guide ratio as well.
$11,000 per hunter Included float plane in, Three great meals a day, A cabin with wood stove, float plane out with our meat.
Airfare was $800 from Virginia to Smithers Canada on Air Canada.
Air Canada hit me up for additional baggage fees $100 for a firearm each way, $30 a piece for luggage each way, $50 per 50 pounds of meat (50lbs is the max limit per package for bringing meat back on the plane) a leak proof container was provided by the butcher. (This was lighter than a cooler) We brought three back.
Tip was $1100 for my guide
There were opportunities to take additional Animals provided you had the tags with an Extra $3000 harvest fee.
We saw lots of bulls, Mountain goats, grizzlies, black bears the other team of hunters saw caribou in addition to all the other animals mentioned.
The butcher in town processed 150 pounds of meat, froze it and package them into the leak proof containers $197
They arrived still frozen in Virginia left Canada 3 PM arrived in Virginia the next day 10 AM.
The Moose I shot was right under 48 inches, a hunter before me at a different camp killed a 54 inch moose that I saw at the taxidermy shop when I was dropping off Skull and antlers.
Taxidermist charged $400 for European mount, $450 to crate, ship and export permit to Virginia. The other two hunters drove from Oregon over two days and took the moose they shot back with them in coolers along with skull and antlers.

I think this about covers the expenses, let me know if you have any other questions it’s still pretty fresh in my mind.

What month did you hunt? Was it fly-in to remote camp or lodge and vehicle? any pictures?
We went late September the bulls were not really rutting yet but moving near cow groups. We flew to a remote camp. If you want a big bull don't do any other type of hunt but a fly out. Check out their Facebook page they just took a 52" this week which is a giant newfie moose. We saw one in that range. We flew to 3 separate camps being a large group. My friend and I probably saw 50 moose that week and we put the miles on shot mine first day he shot his last day we were stuck in camp fogged in one day. Had a nice camp with anything we needed. I will find some pics.

PA Hunter

WKR
It was a 2/1 10 day Guided hunt Me and my dad, We hunted for eight days there was a two day weather delay getting in. There were two other hunters in camp on a 2/1 guide ratio as well.
$11,000 per hunter Included float plane in, Three great meals a day, A cabin with wood stove, float plane out with our meat.
Airfare was $800 from Virginia to Smithers Canada on Air Canada.
Air Canada hit me up for additional baggage fees $100 for a firearm each way, $30 a piece for luggage each way, $50 per 50 pounds of meat (50lbs is the max limit per package for bringing meat back on the plane) a leak proof container was provided by the butcher. (This was lighter than a cooler) We brought three back.
Tip was $1100 for my guide
There were opportunities to take additional Animals provided you had the tags with an Extra $3000 harvest fee.
We saw lots of bulls, Mountain goats, grizzlies, black bears the other team of hunters saw caribou in addition to all the other animals mentioned.
The butcher in town processed 150 pounds of meat, froze it and package them into the leak proof containers $197
They arrived still frozen in Virginia left Canada 3 PM arrived in Virginia the next day 10 AM.
The Moose I shot was right under 48 inches, a hunter before me at a different camp killed a 54 inch moose that I saw at the taxidermy shop when I was dropping off Skull and antlers.
Taxidermist charged $400 for European mount, $450 to crate, ship and export permit to Virginia. The other two hunters drove from Oregon over two days and took the moose they shot back with them in coolers along with skull and antlers.

I think this about covers the expenses, let me know if you have any other questions it’s still pretty fresh in my mind.
There are no Grizzlies in Newfoundland.

PA Hunter

WKR
I will be on my fourth hunt there next October. I drive up and pull an enclosed trailer from Pa, with a few friends. I use Roberts Outfitting Deer Lake and I will only hunt the first week of October. I pay $ 5500 for the hunt Picked up at Deer Lake driven by truck then 5km on side by side to camp.
I tip about $400 American and have a great time 6 hunters are allowed in my camp. We hunt from boat,at some and 1 Argo and walk from cabin.

I pay about $350 for butcher Canadian plus ferry and few hotel bills up and back. I would not recommend flying and risking not getting your guns and gear, seen it ruin hunters dream hunts.

I would recommend be honest about your physical abilities and let your outfitter know. If you can’t walk much go to a camp with an Argo or some way of getting you around. My first moose was a death march to get it out and we could only hump it out which took 2 days. All my other moose were easy ones to get out.
I brought 8 moose home and a 550 lb bear last October everybody but one hunter scored a moose.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with PA Hunter about flying my gear bag that included ammo and rain gear did not arrive in Canada with me it was delayed a day. (we had a weather delay getting out on the float plane that worked in our favor) Our rifles were delayed a day on the return flight home. I wore my boots on the flight and carried my binos in a carry on, everything else I could have borrowed at camp or bought in town.

The same can be said for driving. 2 guys at my camp got ripped off in Windsor Canada. They drove across the boarder from Michigan, to Windsor. Stopped somewhere, either at a hotel, or to eat. and came out to smashed windows. All their hunting gear & firearms were gone.

Luckily, the guide provided them with everything, and both guys got moose with the guides gun.

PA Hunter

WKR
The same can be said for driving. 2 guys at my camp got ripped off in Windsor Canada. They drove across the boarder from Michigan, to Windsor. Stopped somewhere, either at a hotel, or to eat. and came out to smashed windows. All their hunting gear & firearms were gone.

Luckily, the guide provided them with everything, and both guys got moose with the guides gun.
Lucky the guide let them borrow a rifle it’s illegal to do that in Canada. That is why you must carry that declaration form with you hunting ,has your rifle info on it. My outfitter would not let 2 hunters borrow a camp gun or ours after I tagged out risking their Outfitter license.

Customs just wants their $C25...… and they are always very inquisitive about my hunt. What animal & where. Like they want to hunt.. but just never did..