Looking for ultrasonic cleaning solution recommendations.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
As the title states, what does everyone use for brass? Steel,stainless steel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
I have one of those. It’s ok but I have better luck with a vibratory with walnut shell. I dump a little Brasso in too. Run it overnight, cases like new and don’t have to dry the water out of them.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like clean and shiny is the way to go for brass.

How about steel?

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the clean and shiny method in this article, which works good. http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Question, do you reuse your Birchwood Casey cleaner solution? I just picked some up and was reading the instructions and it says it is reusable. A small bottle also doesn’t make a whole lot.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no clue how old that article is but I know I have done the clean and shiny method for years and years from it. Great way to do it - my only change is that I load the brass in the container neck down so as any dirt crud falls down and out.

Same question to you as above post.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been trying to get these puppies clean all day! First pic is before cleaning, the rest are after cleaning. It liked baked on the black around the necks. I just threw them in the tumbler to see if I can get that crud off. The inside of the cases are super clean!
5d6404ae1946e65ec75739a3f3f2ed38.jpg

a8dd970a3ed4e2e0eccd4d2b4059dffc.jpg
706952d02dbb1521df84d0746a61b52d.jpg
97bd01854b994510640172b239c0c6eb.jpg

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Ultrasonic is a PITA, but it appeases my OCD. I don’t care about shiny brass, I just want a thorough clean. (I haven’t tried stainless, but have always been curious. Although, I’ve wondered if it would harden the brass?) ... anyways, I use 1-2 tablespoons of anhydrous citric acid (buy it on amazon. I think it’s from DUDA Energy) ... and a couple drops of dish soap. I start by standing the cases on end (primer pocket down) for a cycle, then lay the cases on their side with the case necks over the transducer for a cycle.
... I’m running a RCBS, and need to upgrade. Cases that sit on top of the transducer clean up quickly, but those that sit off to the side of the transducer take FOREVER.... so I have started running smaller batches (25 cases at a time) and periodically rotate them so they all get time in the sweet spot.

... hopefully that makes sense?

deadwolf

WKR
23e542d565a834ce0a2382ce14f8f7d5.jpg

After 6 hours in the tumbler with polishing agent

I haven’t used the ultrasonic before, but I have tried the stainless steel media with the soapy solution and it worked really good, getting the inside nice and clean as well as the primer pockets.

However, I have since gone back to just a regular vibratory tumbler due to the amount of time it takes to do the wet media tumble. I hated having to dry my brass in the oven and then was always a bit nervous about if all moisture was out of the inside of the case. And then I would have to dry the media as well.

Went back to vibratory so I can just tumble and load!

Adding vinegar in the ultrasonic will help with cleaning quite a bit.

You just have to then rinse it with some water/baking soda to neutralize the vinegar or it will leave a tarnished looked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Billinsd

WKR
Question, do you reuse your Birchwood Casey cleaner solution? I just picked some up and was reading the instructions and it says it is reusable. A small bottle also doesn’t make a whole lot.

No, I haven't. I don't reload large numbers of cartridges, so I use it once.

PA Hunter

WKR
My ultrasonic never worked that great I bought a harbor freight rock tumbler and stainless steel pins. I put in lemishine and couple drops dawn with warm water. In 2 hours perfect brass in and out primer pockets perfect just rinse and let air dry.