Looking for video tips/tricks

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys/gals,
So I just finished up my 1st real hunting video (other than piecing together footage with no real goal for editing practice) and I've got some questions

What do you guys use to stabilize your shots? I bounced between a monopod with a ball head and a tripod, with the goal originally being to use the monopod for filming and keep the tripod for glassing, but it soon turned into carrying the tripod in my hands and leaving the monopod in camp. Now I'm thinking about carrying 2 tripods, using my Slik 340 for glassing and picking up a short triggerstick to carry for the camera (the camera itself rides in a PD clip on my pack strap). I figure I should be able to swap the yolk on the triggerstick for a ballhead.

Also, I was looking at some of the cheaper (~$50) stabilizers on Amazon, but between the weight and being unsure if they'll accept an Arca-Swiss style plate from the PD mount, I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thoughts?

Here's the video if anyone is interested...it's a bit long (29mins), so my next goal is to try and trim that back a shorter flick with less slow spots, but I think it's decent for a 1st attempt

Thanks in adavance!

hikenhunt

WKR
Don't know how to answer your questions, but great video! I agree, shortening it up would be good

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which camera are you using in that? Honestly the best thing to save some weight is to get a camera with some kind of image stabilization. Between that and post editing stabilization I can typically clean it up pretty good. It's tricky when your trying to use 2 tripods, I totally get that. I'm honestly hand holding a lot of my b-roll shots and on a tripod or digiscope for the kill shot. That's always the plan at least.

OP
Walking Birds

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
Which camera are you using in that? Honestly the best thing to save some weight is to get a camera with some kind of image stabilization. Between that and post editing stabilization I can typically clean it up pretty good. It's tricky when your trying to use 2 tripods, I totally get that. I'm honestly hand holding a lot of my b-roll shots and on a tripod or digiscope for the kill shot. That's always the plan at least.

I'm using an Sony A6000, and Movie Studio 16 software. I'll probably do like you mentioned and handhold for the majority to try to keep it KISS. For your tripod, do you prefer a pan head or a ballhead for a combo glassing/video tripod?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm using an Sony A6000, and Movie Studio 16 software. I'll probably do like you mentioned and handhold for the majority to try to keep it KISS. For your tripod, do you prefer a pan head or a ballhead for a combo glassing/video tripod?

I do a fluid head of some kind. Benro s2 is a solid budget head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk