Looking for Wyoming draw advice

Snuffer

FNG
As a first time hunter in Wyoming I would like to get the most out of my seven points in the draw this fall for archery elk. I am not looking for a rifle season and want to hunt archery only. I’m looking at three choices currently. 40-9 special,37-9 regular and the cluster of general units in Snowies and Sierra Madre area. I realize sept 15 unit 37 will have additional hunters on the type1 while 40 will not, and obviously the south central units will have lots of pressure. After this fall I’m not accumulating points past a general tag . Is the hunt in 40 worth the additional $ for special over 37? Or would you hunt S.central units and get the experience in the area knowing you would be returning every time you could draw a general elk tag. Do you think the Bighorn units are a night and day difference from south central general units? Anything you can offer is appreciated. Feel free to pm if you like. Thanks

This is probably the only time in your life to draw a limited entry tag. I would not squander those points on a general. That’s just me tho.

What are your expectations? How much time can you dedicate? Any scouting trips planned?

I would not hunt 37-9 I'm 1 for 4 on that tag and the last 2 years have sucked. The elk have gotten smart haha it's also been warm. Most elk action has been found in the wilderness area in my experience. I got into elk and got in bow range of a few but it was tough. Then when the general opens it's a shit show. I'll put in else where and if I go general I'll travel outside my area

40 is a small unit but is more open you can glass atleast, Where 37 is 90% timber.

There is alot of elk in 40 if your willing to just walk away from the roads. I'd say it's worth the extra money to do the special draw.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
S

Snuffer

FNG
I can probably swing 16 days of bow season this fall. I just want to shoot a branch antlered bull on this hunt, first good shot gets it. I’ve always been a caller and other guys have shot em. Now it’s my turn on this solo hunt. As far as scouting, probably not likely but having hunted elk 8 other times I have a handle on e scouting and what to look for. I realize that’s nothing like boots on the ground but time just doesn’t allow for a scouting trip.