Looking for Wyoming Outfitter Recommendation

hwy1strat

WKR
I have 4 points for elk in Wyoming and I’ve always wanted to do a horseback hunt. Looking for recommendations for a good outfitter to take horses really far in somewhere and have a chance at a trophy bull. The cheaper the better but I’m willing to drop a large chunk of change on this. Hoping to do the hunt in 2024

tntrker

WKR
Yellowstone Outfitters was recommended a few times on here I've seen. Most are already booked or filling up for 24 already though. Good Luck

“Trophy bull” and “cheaper the better” in the same sentence? Lol I can probably steer you in the right direction. What is your budget? Bow or gun? Solo or with a partner?

Hard to say with certainty in the regular but it definitely will be in the special drawing. I’m assuming we’re talking the general license.

Yellowstone Outfitters is booked through 2027. I had a great hunt with Constant Quest Outfitters last year. Not sure of their availability for ‘24. Wouldn’t shock me if they are booked that far out too. Good luck!

OP
hwy1strat

hwy1strat

WKR
“Trophy bull” and “cheaper the better” in the same sentence? Lol I can probably steer you in the right direction. What is your budget? Bow or gun? Solo or with a partner?

The thing is, I’m not really into the idea of a guided hunt. I mostly just want to use them for the spot and the horses. I have everything I need and I like to think I’m a fairly competent elk hunter. So, I don’t need or want much help. I struggle to pay for the guided hunt but I’ve always dreamed of doing a horseback hunt somewhere way off the beaten path just for the experience. I can do bow or rifle or muzzleloader. Depends more on what they have available than my own preference to be honest. It will most likely be solo because none of my loser friends are that into hunting lol. I’ve seen that these trips cost around $7k. I’d prefer to be around $5k but I’m prepared to pay what it costs. I recently stumbled across the drop camp idea and I find myself more attracted to that idea now given what I stated above

mnydir

FNG
You need to do a lot more research. Most places way back are going to be wilderness hunts. You'd need a guide or resident guide. A lot of the best outfits are booked at least 4 years out right now and the majority are over 8k. Your options with 4 pts are very limited for anything but a general tag.

OP
hwy1strat

hwy1strat

WKR
You need to do a lot more research. Most places way back are going to be wilderness hunts. You'd need a guide or resident guide. A lot of the best outfits are booked at least 4 years out right now and the majority are over 8k. Your options with 4 pts are very limited for anything but a general tag.
I guess it’s a good thing I’m looking into it now then and maybe that’s another reason why I’m looking for a guide🤷‍♂️

OP
hwy1strat

hwy1strat

WKR
Do you have any experience with horses? Not just riding but feed/water/saddle?
Growing up my family had a horse. I used to know a fair bit, but now it's been a while since i've taken care of a horse. I'm confident with a little refresh I'd be fairly capable of taking care of a horse again

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Growing up my family had a horse. I used to know a fair bit, but now it's been a while since i've taken care of a horse. I'm confident with a little refresh I'd be fairly capable of taking care of a horse again
Likely not one horse if go solo. You likely are not day hunting from the trailhead so need horses from hunt start to hunt end. At some point as plan the hunt you need yet another horse to carry feed for the horses you need for you and gear and food and 300 pounds of downed elk. The time you spend each day caring for the horses is time you are not eating, sleeping or hunting. Llamas are an alternative to horse and mules though most places that rent llamas are booked as well by now.

Have you considered Montana? Long season and with horses can get far away from the crowds. Also, more certainty can draw the general tag in a targeted year. No guide requirement for wilderness in Montana though I have camped solo with grizzlies around and takes the fun out of glassing on windy days when can't see out the back of your head.

I booked a hunt with Yellowstone Outfitters this week. It’s not until 2028, which is the earliest they had available. I’m hoping to get something booked for next year or 2024 and rebuild my points for the 2028 hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
Taking care of a horse in the wilderness is not the same as taking care of a horse at home. You might consider a spring black bear hunt with an outfitter that does backcountry hunts. They are similar to an elk hunt as far as the experience with stock goes, are a lot less expensive than an elk hunt, and are a lot of fun. It would also give you a chance to get experience with stock in the backcountry for a future elk hunt.

He said he has 4 points Wyoming for elk. So the suggestions to hunt Montana or for beats aren’t really helpful. You’d get all the experience you want by leasing a couple horses and hunting from a base camp. Once you’re a mile from camp you’ll be hunting the mountains of Wyoming and having fun. Horses give ythe ability to cover all the ground you need too. Plus as a solo hunter it frees you from limiting how far you can pack out a bull. That’s a consideration on a solo hunt especially in warmer weather. Everything is in base camp including hay and water. All the comforts of home. You maximize your hunting time to by not dragging everything into the back country to set up. That’s how we hunt. You can use the horses to pack in a spike camp too if you want.

Any outfitter worth hunting with is easily $6000 and if you’re solo doing a 1 on 1 hunt add another $1000. And you get 5-7 days to hunt. A diy hunt means hunting two weeks or more for less money too. Plus you’re learning an area you can go back to in the future.

Last edited:

Medic76

FNG
Doing a guided horse back hunt with MF Hunting this year, Gene Moses. We will hunt the Tetons with a base camp and ride in each day. Have heard good things about him so we will see. It will be my daughter and I and she has a beer tag. My first guided hunting trip. Price was fair I thought

wytx

WKR
Your main issue on a drop camp will be the fact you're hunting solo. They want more than one person in a camp and rarely mix parties for the most part I believe.

jwb044

FNG
Doing a guided horse back hunt with MF Hunting this year, Gene Moses. We will hunt the Tetons with a base camp and ride in each day. Have heard good things about him so we will see. It will be my daughter and I and she has a beer tag. My first guided hunting trip. Price was fair I thought

How was your hunt with MF Hunting?