Looking to book Alaska Caribou hunt

BartG

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to book an Alaskan Caribou hunt for my dad and I. Any suggestions on where to get started with the outfitter search?

Thanks.

VernAK

WKR
This site has many that are willing to share their info and experience so you've come to the right place.

Many caribou herds in North America have suffered lately and the demand for guides and outfitters is high. It may take 2-3 years to get booked with a reputable outfit.

OXN939

WKR
True statement above. Hunts in the area of Alaska where we were last August were hit or miss; our group went 1 for 2 with a nice bull and the group that went in after us got completely skunked with 4 guys. A bit of luck of the draw with the weather. Very beautiful and austere environment on the North Slope where we were though, almost like a different planet.

MtGomer

WKR
Have you considered Canada?
I saw more caribou in the Mackenzies than you can shake a stick at. The country is beautiful and there is no other hunters. I think Gana River charges 10k for a horseback hunt.

LivinGood

FNG
Do a self guided drop hunt with one of the air taxis for the 40 mile herd in the interior of Alaska. I'd recommend Swift Fork Air: 907-458-0734, [email protected] or Shadow Aviation: 907-457-7194, [email protected]. Both are one man operations running super cubs. Very good opportunity right now with 40 mile caribou numbers up around ~70,000.

Buck2747

FNG
Following as well thanks for the pilot info I have been struggling trying to find some additional pilots that service the 40 mile area.. will call them both in the future..

mooster

WKR
Artic Air and Ram Air of Kotzebue have a couple spots left. Bushwacker of Bettles does also. They are all transporters that offer week long drops for DIY hunts in GMU’s 23 and 26 I think respectively. These are just some transporters that have come to my attention. I don’t know them personally. It’s not too late for 2019, but pickings are getting slim.

MNGaryB

FNG
Do a self guided drop hunt with one of the air taxis for the 40 mile herd in the interior of Alaska. I'd recommend Swift Fork Air: 907-458-0734, [email protected] or Shadow Aviation: 907-457-7194, [email protected]. Both are one man operations running super cubs. Very good opportunity right now with 40 mile caribou numbers up around ~70,000.
Have you flown with both of these companies you’ve mentioned?