Looking to build and needing advice. 300prc

So, for quite some time I’ve been wanting to add a bigger caliber to the arsenal and figured I’d go with a long action. I have a semi custom .308 that’s a fun gun but just too heavy to be practical on hunting. I bought my wife a GAP 7mm WSM that she loves and shoots one hole at 100 with 168 Berger’s hand loaded. (I have a friend that hand loads for it). But I’m looking to up my rifle game from a tikka t3lite .270 to something more.

My wife and I are headed to Alaska in September on a drop caribou hunt so I’d love to have something put together and rolling by then but here is the issue. I am not a gun guru by any means as far as understand which action may serve better or what barrel twist may provide best stability or what stock etc. I can tell you that I’ll probably never shoot more than a 212 to 220 grain bullet. I don’t see the need for anything more than that for any animal walking the planet that I’d hunt. I would like to have the same accuracy as my other two guns mentioned which will shoot through the same hole at 100 and stay sub 2” at 1000. I am impressed with the bartlein barrels for sure and want to keep this one fluted to cut down on weight if that works for this caliber. My buddy that loads shoots prs and suggested looking at impact precision actions. Apparently that have barrels as well that make it easy to where it’s plug and play more or less. Haven’t had a chance to call and talk to them yet. The GAP rifle had a defiance action I believe or surgeon. Can’t remember.

Anyways, was hoping there would be someone that could offer some advise and make some suggestions. Maybe someone on here has built one or had one built that can help. Was going to buy a damn nice over and under formulae this year but I don’t upland hunt and just wanted one because I think they are beautiful guns. This will be a working gun and meat stick. I just want to have an end product that shoots like the other two and can be a great backcountry gun as well. (I get it won’t be super lightweight)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2” at 1000 is way unrealistic.

Maybe Defiance AnTi action, barrel of choice, McMillan game scout, trigger tech trigger, 7mm REM mag or 300 win mag. Nightforce or March compact scope??

Doesn’t sound like you hand load, or shoot much past 100 yards.

Your probably best to stick with the 270 tikka for your Alaska trip unless chasing brown bears. Especially if it’s stainless. Somewhat of a frowned upon move to buy a new gun for a big trip.

OP
ddavis_1313

Maybe Defiance AnTi action, barrel of choice, McMillan game scout, trigger tech trigger, 7mm REM mag or 300 win mag. Nightforce or March compact scope??

Your probably best to stick with the 270 tikka for your Alaska trip unless chasing brown bears. Especially if it’s stainless. Somewhat of a frowned upon move to buy a new gun for a big trip.

The 308 has shot a 2” group at a grand when my buddy was working hand loads for it. I’ve shot a 1” group with the 7 mag at 550. (Longest I’ve had a chance to shoot it) Here is a 3 shot group at 750 with the 308 in a gusty 15-18 mph cross wind that I shot across a valley.
208eabc8f08776382e55036d70a98c1e.jpg

3 consecutive shots. 2 in the orange and one just above. For the record, my wife will go shot for shot with me at those yardages. I give her the dope, she dials and sends it. In 4 years she’s piled up deer with that 7 mag and my 270 out to 350. She hasn’t had a chance to shoot further at an animal which is fine. We don’t go looking to shoot long range. I don’t hand load Bc I don’t have the components but I’ve hand loaded using my buddy’s equipment so I have a decent understanding of it. Enough so not to risk pressure issues and understand what’s involved to maintain extreme consistency within each shot. My friend is one of the top prs shooters in Texas and has forgotten more about guns that I’ll probably ever know.

As far as shooting past 100, you’re right, I haven’t in a long time. Because I primarily bow hunt. After killing a whitetail at 607 yards a few years ago, I stepped back from gun hunting and got serious with the bow. I’ve since killed several deer and 2 bull elk as well as put my wife on a 331” bull with her bow. But, with 2 herniated disc in my lower back, plantar fasciitis in both feet, two partially separated shoulders, and two knees that probably have scar tissue, I’m considering going back to some rifle hunting. Not sure why it’s frowned upon to buy a new gun before a trip. There’s always trips. If it isn’t Alaska, it’s Colorado, or Kansas, or central Texas, or somewhere else. The 270 is a killing stick for sure. Probably been 50 animals dropped with it. I can shoot it well out to 350 with a 3x9 scope without having windage or elevation adjustment. I know the holds. I carry dope charts for the other two and have them set up in StrelokPro on my phone. I’m sorry if I came off as some novice or completely ignorant. Maybe I am when it comes to building guns. But I’m not when it comes to shooting them. I can hold my own when the conditions are known. I also don’t take low risk shots either on game animals. Just because I can bang steel well last the average guys comfort level, doesn’t mean I’ll send one at an animal. However, with barren ground caribou, it could easily be a 400-500 yard shot and I’d rather have something with greater Foot pounds of energy and higher BC’s than I can accomplish out of my .270 which is not stainless.

I’m pretty sure the world record competition 1000 yard bench rest group is around 2.6”. Yes folks have shot smaller groups.
But to expect sub 2” from a hunting rifle??

Maybe you can find the 300 PRC ammo or components you want in todays market, maybe. Why I suggested more common rounds.

Stainless would be good in Alaska, especially in a drop camp scenario.

I’m not saying don’t build a new rifle. I’d never say that. But don’t show up to Alaska with a new and unfamiliar rifle. In my experience getting a custom rifle built in 8 months when you have no parts, no gunsmith, ect… is also somewhat unrealistic. But there may be known smiths out there with shorter wait times. And you might find the parts you want on the shelf somewhere.

Google up RBros, I think in Montana now, and look at their lightweight hunter rifle.

OP
ddavis_1313
I’m pretty sure the world record competition 1000 yard bench rest group is around 2.6”. Yes folks have shot smaller groups.
But to expect sub 2” from a hunting rifle??

Maybe you can find the 300 PRC ammo or components you want in todays market, maybe. Why I suggested more common rounds.

Stainless would be good in Alaska, especially in a drop camp scenario.

I’m not saying don’t build a new rifle. I’d never say that. But don’t show up to Alaska with a new and unfamiliar rifle. In my experience getting a custom rifle built in 8 months when you have no parts, no gunsmith, ect… is also somewhat unrealistic. But there may be known smiths out there with shorter wait times. And you might find the parts you want on the shelf somewhere.

Google up RBros, I think in Montana now, and look at their lightweight hunter rifle.

As of right now my wait times will be on the action. I have a smith that can get everything don’t in 3-4 months depending on action. That’s 26” proof sendero barrel, hs bottom plate, AG composite stock, and action. Action may cause later wait times depending on what I go with.

As of right now my wait times will be on the action. I have a smith that can get everything don’t in 3-4 months depending on action. That’s 26” proof sendero barrel, hs bottom plate, AG composite stock, and action. Action may cause later wait times depending on what I go with.

If then your only remaining question is the action. There are several very good actions to choose from. Find a Rem 700 footprint one that's on the shelf somewhere.

So, for quite some time I’ve been wanting to add a bigger caliber to the arsenal and figured I’d go with a long action. I have a semi custom .308 that’s a fun gun but just too heavy to be practical on hunting. I bought my wife a GAP 7mm WSM that she loves and shoots one hole at 100 with 168 Berger’s hand loaded. (I have a friend that hand loads for it). But I’m looking to up my rifle game from a tikka t3lite .270 to something more.

My wife and I are headed to Alaska in September on a drop caribou hunt so I’d love to have something put together and rolling by then but here is the issue. I am not a gun guru by any means as far as understand which action may serve better or what barrel twist may provide best stability or what stock etc. I can tell you that I’ll probably never shoot more than a 212 to 220 grain bullet. I don’t see the need for anything more than that for any animal walking the planet that I’d hunt. I would like to have the same accuracy as my other two guns mentioned which will shoot through the same hole at 100 and stay sub 2” at 1000. I am impressed with the bartlein barrels for sure and want to keep this one fluted to cut down on weight if that works for this caliber. My buddy that loads shoots prs and suggested looking at impact precision actions. Apparently that have barrels as well that make it easy to where it’s plug and play more or less. Haven’t had a chance to call and talk to them yet. The GAP rifle had a defiance action I believe or surgeon. Can’t remember.

Anyways, was hoping there would be someone that could offer some advise and make some suggestions. Maybe someone on here has built one or had one built that can help. Was going to buy a damn nice over and under formulae this year but I don’t upland hunt and just wanted one because I think they are beautiful guns. This will be a working gun and meat stick. I just want to have an end product that shoots like the other two and can be a great backcountry gun as well. (I get it won’t be super lightweight)

I like the Defiance anTi, in fact I wouldn't use any other custom action given how incredibly light they are.
In today's ridiculous world of overpaying for parts that take a year to get I'd wait and just use the 308 that you're shooting 2" 750 yard groups with.
Or build another 7 wsm on a tikka action with readily available parts for half the cost, the 7 wsm is my all time favorite It'll stack them up with 180 bergers as far as you can shoot

OP
ddavis_1313
I like the Defiance anTi, in fact I wouldn't use any other custom action given how incredibly light they are.
In today's ridiculous world of overpaying for parts that take a year to get I'd wait and just use the 308 that you're shooting 2" 750 yard groups with.
Or build another 7 wsm on a tikka action with readily available parts for half the cost, the 7 wsm is my all time favorite It'll stack them up with 180 bergers as far as you can shoot

I’m right there with you on that but man that 308 is heavy to carry around. Lol. Hell, my wife is going to Alaska with me. It’s our trip and that 7wsm is hers. We run 168 vlds in it and it just flat out shoots. Could just run with that up there and I could take my bow but I know I’ll end up shooting hers lol. As of right now I can get just about every part I need but the action and I’m not sure how long the lead time is on them.
Ag composite - 12 weeks
Bottom metal - Hawkins bottom metal - in stock
Barrel - proof sendero 26” in stock
Trigger - trigger tech diamond - in stock
Action - who knows?

Can I ask what your thoughts are on defiant in crap conditions? (Dirt, sand, mud, snow, below freezing, dust). I know defiant makes a hell of an action. I’m just curious about how they perform and cycle in those situations. I’ve read where some say they are fine and some say they stick or bind if they get dirt in them.

gbflyer

WKR
I don’t know anything about the action you’re discussing. I do know that benchrest precision and ultimate reliability do not walk hand - in - hand.

Depending on where you go here in Alaska for caribou, you may have an advantage with archery gear. Near the pipeline as an example.

I’m right there with you on that but man that 308 is heavy to carry around. Lol. Hell, my wife is going to Alaska with me. It’s our trip and that 7wsm is hers. We run 168 vlds in it and it just flat out shoots. Could just run with that up there and I could take my bow but I know I’ll end up shooting hers lol. As of right now I can get just about every part I need but the action and I’m not sure how long the lead time is on them.
Ag composite - 12 weeks
Bottom metal - Hawkins bottom metal - in stock
Barrel - proof sendero 26” in stock
Trigger - trigger tech diamond - in stock
Action - who knows?

Can I ask what your thoughts are on defiant in crap conditions? (Dirt, sand, mud, snow, below freezing, dust). I know defiant makes a hell of an action. I’m just curious about how they perform and cycle in those situations. I’ve read where some say they are fine and some say they stick or bind if they get dirt in them.

I hunt in all conditions with my defiance build and while I haven't thrown it in the mud it definitely gets dusty and I've shot it quite a bit in freezing weather
I've had zero issues with it cycling

OP
ddavis_1313
I hunt in all conditions with my defiance build and while I haven't thrown it in the mud it definitely gets dusty and I've shot it quite a bit in freezing weather
I've had zero issues with it cycling

That’s all I needed to hear! Leaning on the defiance anti x. Checks all the boxes for what I’m wanting. Weight savings is simply a bonus for me.

OP
ddavis_1313
I don’t know anything about the action you’re discussing. I do know that benchrest precision and ultimate reliability do not walk hand - in - hand.

Depending on where you go here in Alaska for caribou, you may have an advantage with archery gear. Near the pipeline as an example.

We will be doing a drop hunt out of Kotz. Pretty “barren” ground up there. Lol. I can shoot out to 80 easy with my bow and hit vitals 10 out of 10. But we don’t get the winds down here in Texas like up there plus they are usually moving as well. And, ain’t much to hide behind. Lol

BAKPAKR

WKR
I think you are going to run into some time issues with a lot of gunsmiths if you plan on using it this September. However, some have components ready and can get you set up pretty quickly. My friend just got a 300 PRC from Ryan Pierce of Piercision Rifles on short notice. Dallas Lane of Lane Precision Rifles posts completed rifles on another forum from time. You might contact him to see what he has in the works.

If you end up getting a rifle that meets your accuracy parameters, please pm me with your builder’s name.

OP
ddavis_1313
I think you are going to run into some time issues with a lot of gunsmiths if you plan on using it this September. However, some have components ready and can get you set up pretty quickly. My friend just got a 300 PRC from Ryan Pierce of Piercision Rifles on short notice. Dallas Lane of Lane Precision Rifles posts completed rifles on another forum from time. You might contact him to see what he has in the works.

If you end up getting a rifle that meets your accuracy parameters, please pm me with your builder’s name.

I’ll check with lane precision. And I’m hoping it shoots as good as the other two guns I have. The smith doing it has built several guns for several people that have referred him and on average they are 1/4” at 100 with factory loads. With hand loads they pretty much shoot through the same hole. This will be my first carbon barreled rifle so we will see how it goes. Shouldn’t matter between carbon and steel since I’m going with a proof sendero. I will say that the only reason the other two guns I have shoot as good as they do is because of the time that went into them from the guy I bought them from. And his ocd level on reloads. Each bullet is precisely exact in every way possible after hours and days and weeks of load development. This guy isn’t satisfied when almost everyone else would say good enough. Prolly why he’s one of the top PRS shooters in Texas. One thing I’ve learned from him is the ammo consistency is a huge factor. Even a thousandths or hundredth of a grain can make a difference and it shows in his guns and groupings.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Holy smokes dude! World record 1000 yard groups with your rifle and near perfect with your bow at 80 yards. You should really compete, could mop the floor with a lot of the pros out there in both rifle and archery.

OP
ddavis_1313
Holy smokes dude! World record 1000 yard groups with your rifle and near perfect with your bow at 80 yards. You should really compete, could mop the floor with a lot of the pros out there in both rifle and archery.

Never said it does it consistently at 1000. And maybe I should have clarified. So my apologies bc it seems like it’s been taken out of context. But it’s done it at 1000. I’ve never stretched the WSM out that far.

Shooting at 80 with a bow isn’t that hard when you shoot all the time. Just like some of the top shooters make 1000 look like 100 to the average guy because they shoot all the time well past that range.

No need for sarcasm…. I’m not trying to one up anyone or make myself look any better than anyone else. I’m certain there are plenty of people on this forum that can out shoot me with both weapons. In fact, I enjoy shooting with people far superior than me because I tend to learn a lot when I’m around those people which in turn makes me better.