Looking to buy a new Hoyt Bow...any insights?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am currently shooting a 10 yr old Hoyt and am thinking it is time to upgrade. I am one who keeps it simple, shooting fingers, 1 pin and a flipper rest. I am looking at the Rampage XT..Can anyone provide any insight into how you like it? Like/dislikes/thoughts?

I love the Rampage XT, however, are you going to continue shooting fingers??? If so then I don't believe that that is the bow for you. I would look more towards a Contender (preferably with XT 3000 limbs for a longer ATA) or even the Vantage LTD -- this is Chuck Adams' bow of choice. The Contender w/ 3000 limbs will be approximately 41" ATA and the LTD is 45".

If you are going to be "joining the dark side" and switching over to a release then I think you have made a great choice. The Rampage XT has all the Bells and Whistles of the CRX 32 and 2011 Element simply a different material for its riser.

Lawnboi

WKR
I would highly recommend shooting one of their bows with the new rkt cam. That cam is beyond anything they have made that iv shot atleast. So smooth, and holds better than any other hoyts iv shot. To give you an idea my 73lb vector turbo is more comfortable to hold at full draw then my am32 is at 60!

OR Archer

WKR
I agree with Evan that the Rampage XT great bow, although it is a little on the short side for a finger shooting bow. Depending on your draw length you could possibly get away with a Vector 35, but that is still pushing it a bit on the A2A.

J-Daddy

WKR
Yeah I'm with Evan, for finger shooting the absolute shortest AtoA length I'd go with would be about 37"...I'd opt for a longer AtoA bow than what your looking at for fingers.

I'm still shooting a Hoyt Impulse. That dates me! That bows 20 years old probably. No sights, just fingers. I haven't wanted to join the dark side because I like shooting instinctive. I'm not strong enough for traditional equipment. I've heard pros of switching to a release and sights will be speed, accuracy and the ability to shoot longer distances. Also, packing a lighter, shorter axle to axle bow would be nice. I agree with all that but I do think you can't get a shot off as fast with a release, sights etc. I shot the Hoyt carbon element a bit ago with all the bells and whistles. Impressive. If I do switch I'd like to keep shooting instinctive but would have to go to a release to shoot the element.

I think of lot of the "SPEED OF YOUR SHOT" depends on the release that you are shooting and how familiar that you are with your bow. I was able to get two well aimed shots off this year in MAYBE 8 seconds!!! I am shooting a hook style release in the Carter Quickie. I think that a hook is just a faster release than a caliper style.

jamaro

FNG
First let me say I applaud you for holding on to something that has worked for so long... IMO we don't need to be upgrading every year... :) Anyway, if you are going to hold on to a bow that long this is a pretty big decision for you... I would take my time and not only shoot a bunch of Hoyts but other brands... There is no hurry... The research is part of the fun...

Jason
www.TheNewMexicoSportsman.com

OR Archer

WKR
Cindy I'd look at a Contender. With your draw length you can get away with a little shorter A2A bow for fingers. A Vantage would be a good choice also like MJ suggested.

sk1

WKR
i shoot the rampage xt, my first hoyt i like it alot.....good bow if you are on a budget like i am. i would watch archerytalk forum classifieds and ebay, i did see some almost new go for $400 to $450 shipped, not sure what they go for new still, i paid $599 for mine

i really really want to try the g5 prime shift though