Looking to buy my first pistol...

h2so4

WKR
Glock 19 is always the answer. Get it lightly used, drop in better trigger and do the trigger guard undercut.

Great gun if you wanted to split the difference b/w 9mm and 10mm. No good reasons to avoid 40, contrary to what folks may say on here...you may even be able to find ammo at less than insane prices.

Lightly used is a great way to go - someone else has already spent the ammo $ to get the trigger break in process going, and less sticker shock. I will join in on the bidding on this one if it doesn’t climb above $350.

Last edited:
Great gun if you wanted to split the difference b/w 9mm and 10mm. No good reasons to avoid 40, contrary to what folks may say on here...you may even be able to find ammo at less than insane prices.

Lightly used is a great way to go - someone else has already spent the ammo $ to get the trigger break in process going, and less sticker shock. I will join in on the bidding on this one if it doesn’t climb above $350.
Darn it! I've been trying to stay off of gunbroker, I'm tempted to bid on that!

OP
180splitg3
Handled a Glock 19 and it was too small for my hands. I did shoot a Glock 17, SW M & P 2.0, Sig p320 x5 and the xdm elite today. My least favorite was the glock 17 - just didn't feel as good as the others. The XDM is still my front runner at the moment. It has a larger and longer grip that just fits me well.

I did not shoot any beretta or Walther guns but have heard they are good - anybody shooting a gun from one of these manufacturers? I may go again another day to try a couple more...

I have a couple Walther pistols, a PPS 9mm and a P99 .40 S&W. Both are very nice pistols though IMO one pays a name premium for a Walther. My earlier posts here spoke of the CZ line, again IMO, I believe the CZs are every bit as good as the Walthers and generally a bit cheaper. I have more CZs than Walthers my self

OP
180splitg3
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will post some pictures after I purchase something...

OP
180splitg3
Purchased the Springfield XDM Elite 9mm today. It's a full size gun with a 4.5" Barrel. Ultimately, it was the best fitting for me - my hands are fairly large. I really like the fiber optic front sight as well. Looking forward to ammo prices coming down soon hopefully! I do have 200 rounds to get me started. Thanks for the advice and help everyone!

Attachments

• 20201218_185654.jpg
    20201218_185654.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 17
Sig Sauer makes some great pistol if they’re in your price range.

Really happy with my Sig 229. I picked up the enhanced elite version, I love me some beaver tail.

My wife, who never shot a gun until 2020, decided that she wanted her own pistol. Did her research and picked up a Sig 238. Its been super accurate for her, even shooting right handed for a left eye dominant person.

CZp-01

FNG
Glock is ol' reliable and gets a lot of recommendations. I'm personally not a fan. The grip angle forces me to cock my wrists downwards to acquire the sights. Doesn't preset a natural POA for me.

I carry a Sig p320 with a X-carry full size grip and a CZ p-01 compact.

I've run the table trying 9, 40 & 45. I've decided 9mm is effective enough for an EDC and provides the most mag capacity. It is also the easiest to shoot for target practice. Much easier to stay on target for follow-up shots.

IMO, the best out the box polymer pistols trigger wise are H&K Vp9 and a Walther PPQ.

If you're after a range gun for target shooting. A steel framed CZ SP-01 in 9mm is the way to go. Felt recoil is going to be less than a polymer pistol.

I shoot a lil USPSA and use a CZ Shadow S2 9mm in production and a CZ TSO 40 S&W in Limited. My wife uses a CZ SP-01 and is by far her favorite pistol to shoot.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Glock is ol' reliable and gets a lot of recommendations. I'm personally not a fan. The grip angle forces me to cock my wrists downwards to acquire the sights. Doesn't preset a natural POA for me.

Agree 100%! I’ve got a few family and friends that are military/law enforcement that are glock for life members. I can’t stand them due the grip angle.

I’ve got a Springfield XDM and M&P Sheild that are way more comfortable to me.

If you're looking to shoot recreationally, get a full size 9mm but be prepared to wait a helluva long time to find reasonably priced ammo. Tons of lightly used pistols out there for a discounted price. Get what feels good to YOU, not to anyone else. Find a range that rents pistols and test a few out.

TheGDog

WKR
If the thought of concealed carry at some point down the line in the future is something you'd like to keep open as a possibility... don't be too quick to dismiss smaller more compact choices like the Glock G26 (9mm) or better yet the Glock G29 (10mm Auto). And I'm saying that for the weight savings aspect of them for when you're out in the field. It's pretty cool to have 10rds of 10mm Auto and lose 7oz and gain 4rds over my .357 4"

If in handling them you feel you just can't deal with the pinky situation, then just get a Pearce Magazine floor plate extension that provides that extended surface for the pinky to grip onto. They're cheap. And easy to install.

And then another member on here was nice enough to point me in the direction of the O-Light Mini Valkyrie rechargeable lithuim-ion battery weapon light, which fits smartly on that G29!

Been diggin' on the G29. I have size XL hands for gloves, and I can fire it fine. Being a little smaller there are some things about your form when shooting you'll need to be better about. They are a little more susceptible to having the barrel waggle a little bit when your form in grip and in executing a trigger squeeze is a little off, or if you're "punching the trigger" due to flinch. But you know, you practice and get over it.

If you're in a state with freedom (i.e. not CA) I'd also possibly suggest checking a Sig P938. (Lil mini 1911) I have the P238 (.380) version since they won't let us buy the 938 here in CA (stupid handgun "safety" roster BS), they have a great trigger with a nice light and short throw! Nice chunky 3-Dot Night-sights come stock on 'em too! Good for old eyes!

+1 for the P238. I'm also in CA. My wife bought the P238 and because of it size, weight and accuracy, it quickly became my concealed carry choice for hiking/ hunting. With the extended magazine (which includes a pinky grip), and new spring in the magazine, it will hold 8+1 rounds and fits anywhere. The pink grips that she added also give it that little something extra.