Looking to buy my first pistol...

Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a pistol. I have never owned anything other than shotguns, bows and muzzeloaders before and really don't know much about them. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for honestly but I'm intending to use it for recreational shooting mainly. I'd like to be able to carry it out west if I were to go on another hunt. I have been looking at 9mm guns specifically but I'm open to other suggestions if 9mm doesn't make sense. I have shot a few pistols before - I know one was a fairly compact glock and it was very difficult to shoot accurately - the other gun was longer and seemed much easier to hit the target with so I'm thinking I don't want something too compact. I'll apologize right now for any stupid questions I ask but I appreciate any input on this! I have zero experience with the cost/availability of ammo either and would like to consider that in my decision as well...

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
9mm is a good caliber for a range gun but ammo is extremely hard to find and when you do expect to pay between 60 cents a round up to a dollar a round. It used to be about 17 to 20 cents. The availability of guns isn't what it used to be either but if you shop around there are many available.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
9mm would be a good choice. you can take it out west with underwood Extreme penetrator +p or +P+ or buffalo boar hard cast +p stuff for predator. only issue is not all 9mm will accept those hot loads. Glock is one of them and highly suggest them.

wildcat33

WKR
Since the main use is probably recreational shooting (and not griz defense), really sky is the limit. Go to a local gun show and handle a bunch of stuff to see what you like. If you ask the question enough, glock 19 will always win a poll of votes. Which is fine, but they not the only option. There is so much more than that out there, have some fun with it.

A K-frame revolver like the model 66 you can shoot full house 357 or 38 spl. Tons of fun to shoot and hold their value. I like double-action / single-action pistols a lot like the FNX or Sig P226. There are more target oriented full-frame pistols like the CZ shadow, which is absolute F-ing dream to shoot. Or you can get real randy and get in the 1911 game.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
If you have any intent on carrying for self defense from animals or humans, you will want one with no external safety. Glocks are fairly cheap and are some of if not the most reliable pistols out there. Glock 19 is a great choice. If you want something a little bigger and don't intend on conceal carry a glock 17 would also be a good option.

fwafwow

WKR
If you have quite a few other firearms and have already gone down the path of buying those over time and/or for specialized uses, then you can't go wrong - as you will buy another pistol at some point. And another.

I've personally never been a Glock fan, but I'm in the minority. I agree with @wildcat33 about handling several pistols, but if you can shoot a few at a range before making a decision, that would be even better.

And ammo prices suck as said above. $0.60 for some lower quality (IMHO) brands of 9mm, and $1.50+ for some of the higher quality/name brand self-defense ammo. (I know you didn't mention self-defense, but is a very likely preference you will develop, even if just for on the night stand.)

I bought one of the Smith and Wesson SD9’s. I read they were basically a Glock clone that they got sued over. I really like it and it was cheaper than a Glock.

Vandy321

WKR
Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a pistol. I have never owned anything other than shotguns, bows and muzzeloaders before and really don't know much about them. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for honestly but I'm intending to use it for recreational shooting mainly. I'd like to be able to carry it out west if I were to go on another hunt. I have been looking at 9mm guns specifically but I'm open to other suggestions if 9mm doesn't make sense. I have shot a few pistols before - I know one was a fairly compact glock and it was very difficult to shoot accurately - the other gun was longer and seemed much easier to hit the target with so I'm thinking I don't want something too compact. I'll apologize right now for any stupid questions I ask but I appreciate any input on this! I have zero experience with the cost/availability of ammo either and would like to consider that in my decision as well...

If it's just black bear, not griz country...another vote for a glock 19 (15+1) loaded up with Buffalo bore hard cast. I never hit the trail without it...grab a Kenai chest holster from gunfighter inc. I wear mine under an AGC bino case and hardly know its there. Can easily draw from it even with the bino harness on top.

Do not get hung up on brands. Fondle all of the handguns that you can get your hands on (not many nowadays). Also, if possible shoot as many that "feel" good in your hands as possible (some ranges will rent guns). Before shooting, look online for the proper site picture for that model. Go with whichever fits your hands the best and if possible, that you shoot the best.

Also, do not get too hung up on caliber. Lots of folks complain about the 9 being "wimpy" but I've yet to see any takers to voluntarily be shot by one. 9s tend to be easier to shoot (not as powerful), 40s tend to be "snappy" when shooting (good power), and 45s tend to be "pushy" when shooting (very good power).

Everyone's recoil tolerance is different. I have a friend who hates shooting a 30-06 but has no problem accurately shooting (and fast as hell) a hand canon. I'm pretty tolerant on shoulder-mounted firearms but hate shooting anything more than a 9 in a handgun.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one of the Smith and Wesson SD9’s. I read they were basically a Glock clone that they got sued over. I really like it and it was cheaper than a Glock.
They are most definitely not. I love the feel of my SD9, but it is no where near has good of a shooter as my glocks. I really need to put a trigger in the SD9, then I would believe it could be comparable, with the exception of reliability. Once I get 100 rounds in it starts having failures to feed and eject, never had that issue with glocks.

Northpark

WKR
+1 on a Sig P365. Love mine. Upgraded to the 12 round mags. Carry mine inside the waist band in a crossbreed holster and when I’m hiking or hunting it lives in a desantis thumbbreak holster on the hip belt of my kuiu pack. It pretty light for still having 12 rounds available.

sndmn11

WKR
I think it would be hard to buy a bad mainstream striker fired pistol like a Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P, Springfield XD, FN, HK, etc.

Go to the store and take a grip FROM YOUR WAIST like you would be when unholstering the pistol, without adjusting that grip raise it up like you are coming onto target, and see how well the sights line up. Take the or the few pistols that are on target and dry fire them, hold the trigger down, cycle the slide enough to reset the trigger, and then slowly release the trigger to find the reset.

Pick the pistol that had the best feeling trigger and came on target best.

EmperorMA

WKR
Glock 19 is never a wrong answer. Even though it’s not my first choice (see below), it is the best combination of size, carry-ability, firepower and reliability you will find.

Glock 17 if you want a bigger pistol. In fact, the Glock 17 G4 fits my hand better than any other pistol on Earth. Guess what’s in my nightstand? 😁

If possible I strongly recommend going to a range that has a wide assortment of rental guns you can try.
There are literally dozens of brands and model variance out there that fit the bill of what you’re looking for and shooting them is the only way you’ll know what works for you.

Another great dual purpose gun to look at is the Ruger LCRX 3 1/2 inch revolver. It’s virtually full proof and sweet to shoot. My son has been shooting mine since he was 6. Capacity is only five shots so there is A trade-off in comparison to an auto. That said, it’s my EDC gun when I have to work in St. Louis if that tells you anything about my faith in it.

They are most definitely not. I love the feel of my SD9, but it is no where near has good of a shooter as my glocks. I really need to put a trigger in the SD9, then I would believe it could be comparable, with the exception of reliability. Once I get 100 rounds in it starts having failures to feed and eject, never had that issue with glocks.
To be fair, all I said was it was a Glock clone, which just means it is the same design. I never said it would shoot better or anything. I have shot way more than a 100 rounds with mine and have never had it not digest everything I fed it. But I understand what you are saying.