Looking to get a gps

JohnIrish

FNG
Use your phone and ONX! Get a cheep extra battery pack to recharge your phone if you think it will die. You dont want a big one.. just get one if these for $11. With a phone you get a much better screen.. Great topo or satellite maps.

POWERADD Slim 2 Most Compact 5000mAh External Battery​

hami0528

FNG
Phone with OnX works great. A cheap power bank can get you 2-3 extra charges. The cost won’t come close to a new gps unit.

Sounds like a phone with onX is the way to go so does that mean gps are obsolete? Headed out west this year and just have a hard time trusting my phone and not packing a gps

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a phone with onX is the way to go so does that mean gps are obsolete? Headed out west this year and just have a hard time trusting my phone and not packing a gps
Backups are always a good thing. I personally would have a backup nav application in case the app shits the bed, something you can just pull a grid from or something with basic offline mapping. I would still carry a map and compass incase the electronics go down.

Put your phone in airplane mode and have a small battery bank to charge from if neccessary.

Backups are always a good thing. I personally would have a backup nav application in case the app shits the bed, something you can just pull a grid from or something with basic offline mapping. I would still carry a map and compass incase the electronics go down.

Put your phone in airplane mode and have a small battery bank to charge from if neccessary.
I’m worried about my phone getting dropped or broken in some way. Is it worth the money for a gps as back up? Spending hundreds on a Gps if it will never be used would be a waste but I’d like to have a back up

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I’m worried about my phone getting dropped or broken in some way. Is it worth the money for a gps as back up? Spending hundreds on a Gps if it will never be used would be a waste but I’d like to have a back up
That's something only you can answer. Personally, I think that if you're going to bring a "full functional" GPS then why bring the phone. Maybe a GPS watch is the answer for you?

I carry way too much shit as is, and I'm working on trying to pair down the secondary and tertiary stuff as best as possible. At a certain point you just have to say, if I break my phone, can't shoot an azimuth, can't terrain associate, and don't remember how I got here then I guess I'm lost and need to start building a house since I live here now.