Looking to get a pack

I’m looking to buy a good pack to carry quartered deer out of the big mountain woods of PA. Chances are I won’t be doing much other hunting. But may end up doing a back country elk/ mule deer hunt in the future. Do you guys have any recommendations on a decent pack that won’t break the bank

Decent packs are not rare. And, are made by a lot of companies. I’ve used alps, older Coleman, nimrod, ilbe marine packs, Alice frames and an old internal frame badlands I can’t remember the name of. I’ve packed deer quarters in all these and a few elk parts in others on this list. All did the job and, the only one that truly sucked bad was the badlands.

With that said, the only one that didn’t suck at all was the old Coleman freighter. Great pack frame really. But, was big and cumbersome to hunt with.

I now use a Kifaru. And have zero plans of ever going back. Because I pack 95% of the deer I kill out. Just like you are talking about doing. And, the Kifaru handles it with flying colors.

a frame and bag can be had for $550 new. Expect to have $475-$500 in used. It’s a lot of money but, it’ll be a buy once type deal if you are already spending $350, add a bit more and get into the better pack market. You’ll never regret it and, I bet a sacrifice of not eating out as much or quoting soda for a month would pay for one if the better options.

just my opinion and experience. Good luck and God Bless

*zap*

WKR
If you cannot afford a good frame and a good bag then just start with a good frame. Research how to determine your back profile and look for a used 'good' frame that will work for you. Buy right and if it does not work well for your build then offload it and start again. The frame is the most important piece of the puzzle. You can strap a $5 duffle bag to it to put your stuff in.

Mystery Ranch Metcalf or something smaller depending on if your camping out or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Here’s an example of an incredible deal : there’s a mystery ranch pintler in the classifieds right now for 250 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk