Looking to join an ELK hunt

Kevinkjk

FNG
I'm an illinois boy too, moving to Colorado end of August. Hunting all of September for otc archery elk. Looking for a hunting partner too in the first week of September. Send me a message when you get a chance.

LBSpear30

FNG
I gave up on getting people I know from Mississippi to head out west for an elk hunt much less them committing to getting in shape for the hunt. I went solo to NM last year and I'm heading back solo this year. I don't know if I could go another year without heading into the mountains.

I went solo last year for my first trip hunting the mountains. I was supposed to be with a group of about 8-10 that had horses to drive out from Indiana (I’m in TX now and drove up to meet them). I’m the only one that showed up. Going back this year ( ) to try the opening few days of season in unit 43. It’s addicting to say the least. A had a crappy season last year and can hardly wait to go back. I tell everyone to just go do it… even if alone. I prefer not to go alone but can’t seem to rely on family or friends to put the time needed into that trip from so far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sdieffen

FNG
Chad,

We've all been thru these scenarios. My recommendation is go solo and you'll meet like minded enthusiasts that don't back out next year. That's what we've done. I started solo, now there's a group of us that hunt on our own but together around the same time in the same unit. Someone always helps out if there's a kill. I now also bring my wife and son along.

As far as boogy man goes, you'll win the Powerball before anything harms you in the woods. No need to be anxious. Just do it. Take the inreach, be smart when hiking, be in shape, have survival gear. You'll be fine. You'll see what I mean.

We have hunted late and early. Public ground is unlike the videos. Bulls are a lot like call shy gobblers once everyone
shows up and is bugling like youtube, which is later. I've also found plenty of elk opening week. Boots on the ground=success!

Good luck!

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
A few years back I had a partner that flaked out on me during my annual September hunt here in WA. I could have chosen to end my trip early, but instead, moved to another location and hunted solo for the remaining five days. Was in a spot with no cell coverage and was nervous at times being in deep holes with no means of communication. But the experience was one of the best things to ever happen to me. I discovered I really loved hunting solo and even camping solo (I had done a number of solo backpacking trips when I was in my 20’s). I’m a pretty sociable guy and have always enjoyed the time in camp with buddies.
I used my solo time in camp to read one of the 7 or 8 books I’d loaded onto my iPad. As for meat recovery and packing, I simply kept a limit on the distance from camp at 2 miles.
Following that trip I purchased an Inreach so I could keep those on the home front assured of my well being and I’ve never looked back. It also gave me a a greater sense of security knowing I could “push the emergency button” should I injure myself and couldn’t self extract.
The following year I Spent 10 days in Idaho hunting solo and it was fantastic!
My young adult son tagged along last year and he got to witness his first elk call in and kill. Will be going again beginning September 10th. He’s been a good partner so far. But I still hunt solo during late season and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of packing out an elk I killed two years ago. There’s something satisfying about the aches and pains earned by pushing this 60+ year old body in pursuit of elk.

Good luck in your hunting endeavors!

Mdjay1129

FNG
So this last week my 2 hunting buddies have backed out on a OTC Colorado ELK hunt (6 weeks from opener). Last time we hunted elk was 2 years ago on an OTC in Unit 53. This last year i took off to Washington to chase bears. Since i am not tied down to a specific area and i have no tags i was wondering if there is a small party that wouldn't mind adding 1 more to the mix. I have 1 year of ELK experience that is questionable and i am looking to gather real knowledge.

I am asking for a chance to follow and learn from others. I have my own gear so no worries of having to support me. In return i will haul meat, gear, run cameras, calling, etc for a chance.

I am from Central Illinois and i will drive to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, New Mexico, etc for an opportunity. My vacation is set from Aug 31th thru Sept 10th, 2021. So i would have to stay within that time frame. If anyone wouldn't mind a 40yr old flat lander tagging along please shoot me a message.

Thanks,

Chad
I may be interested I’ve been draw for Montana due to unforeseen circumstances I may not be able to join the party I was hunting with. I have no experience though.

Matt237

FNG
I'll be on my first solo elk hunt in Montana this year. I've shot one Tuley elk in California and I was hooked after that. A year later I was rifle hunting in Montana opening morning my buddy and I saw 3 amazing 6x6 bulls about 1/2 mile out and we totally blew it. I mean you name a rookie mistake and I can guarantee you we made it. We spent the next 10 days not seeing another animal. I've been hunting deer, hogs,, and birds with my dad and grandpa since I could walk, hunting in the back country made me who I am. But like many of you I have a hard time getting anyone to commit to a 1-2 weak trip ( I'm also the only one of my buddies that has kids and a wedding anniversary during hunting season). That being said my wife understands that hunting is much more for me than just a hobby and doesn't throw a fit over me hunting instead of taking her to dinner for our anniversary, as long as bring a heart back for her to cook up. I do look forward to this being my first solo diy elk hunt, I think the challenge of going alone and relying on yourself only having your knowledge and packing every ounce of meat out solo is going to make the experience that much better.

Good luck out there this year

Matt237

FNG
I may be interested I’ve been draw for Montana due to unforeseen circumstances I may not be able to join the party I was hunting with. I have no experience though.
I'll be out there solo too september 12-18 if you end up in that unit I'm always happy to help pack meat. I mean as long as there's a beer at the end of it.

I get the hesitation and fear of the woods at night with the larger animals. But even with a partner the same dangers exist. And even though they exist, it is something you need to find a better solution for.

The chance of being attacked or bitten by a shark, snake, lion or bear in any lifetime is insignificant.

You'll be fine by yourself, you just need to be convinced of it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I beg to differ just a little bit. Not cuz animals are getting aggressive or anything towards humans but because to many out of staters are being idiots and not keeping a clean campsite etc. And attracting the bears. But then again, hopefully you'd be plenty far away from them if you're hunting. Just kinda crazy how many bear attacks this year near us cuz of people's lack of clean up and lack of paying attention.

Marble

WKR
I beg to differ just a little bit. Not cuz animals are getting aggressive or anything towards humans but because to many out of staters are being idiots and not keeping a clean campsite etc. And attracting the bears. But then again, hopefully you'd be plenty far away from them if you're hunting. Just kinda crazy how many bear attacks this year near us cuz of people's lack of clean up and lack of paying attention.

I won't be falling into the trap of being paranoid about being attacked by a wild animal in the woods. Experience tells me it's highly unlikely.

There are other more likely circumstances that I'll worry about.

Marble

WKR
Overall, only 1 in 2.7 million park visitors are likely to be injured by a bear, but those odds go way up if you’re in the backcountry: to 1-in-232,000 per day. For someone who spends a 90 day summer in the backcountry, that gives them about a 1-in-2600 chance (0.04%) of getting injured by a bear.

This is from the national park service. It puts some context into the conversation.

Another source to get some info to relax some fears.

My wife is really not keen on me going by myself and if i want to keep heading out on far away excursions i need to have her mind at ease. Plus i am leaving here home alone with 4 children so i don't want to add anymore undo stress. I used the garmin inreach the past couple years but she still has voiced her unhappiness on me going alone. Going with a complete stranger might not be any better, but i think mass murders don't really visit hunting sites to prey on poor lonely hunters.

I tried to do a 3 day Whitetail hunt in southern Illinois (just 4 hours from home) and it totally sucked. i gave up after 2 days. I hate being by myself and the idea of being in the unknown mountains in a tent in the dark all alone really doesn't appeal to me. (the boogie man is out there....i know it) Plus you all have animals bigger than coyotes.
At least your honest

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
We are leaving from Michigan on the 3rd heading to Montana. Hunting until the 13 then I work in Idaho on the 14 and 16. Then driving back on the 17. We will be hunting southwest Montana.

We have hunted elk twice Utah and Idaho. Came close and learned a lot. If you end up out that way let me know and you are more than welcome to tag a long.

Plan is to stay mobile and pack in for a night or two at a time until we find a spot.

Never hurts sharing knowledge and learning from each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk