Looking to join an ELK hunt

Howell81

FNG
So this last week my 2 hunting buddies have backed out on a OTC Colorado ELK hunt (6 weeks from opener). Last time we hunted elk was 2 years ago on an OTC in Unit 53. This last year i took off to Washington to chase bears. Since i am not tied down to a specific area and i have no tags i was wondering if there is a small party that wouldn't mind adding 1 more to the mix. I have 1 year of ELK experience that is questionable and i am looking to gather real knowledge.

I am asking for a chance to follow and learn from others. I have my own gear so no worries of having to support me. In return i will haul meat, gear, run cameras, calling, etc for a chance.

I am from Central Illinois and i will drive to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, New Mexico, etc for an opportunity. My vacation is set from Aug 31th thru Sept 10th, 2021. So i would have to stay within that time frame. If anyone wouldn't mind a 40yr old flat lander tagging along please shoot me a message.

Thanks,

Chad

Last edited:

Dschwan

WKR
I agree with changing your dates. What part of Illinois? Spent some time in the Zeilgler/Carbondale area in my drag racing days.

OP
Howell81

Howell81

FNG
If you can change those dates you might have more luck. You should be leaving to hunt when you’re getting back home.

@Indian Summer - i wish i could change the dates but i have other obligations in the later part of the month that i can not break. (ie wedding anniversary, birthdays, etc) if i choose to hunt during those i will seriously have problems. lol. The Elk were silent when we went 2 years ago, but we did see several groups and got within 50yards but we never had a clear opportunity to close the deal.

I agree with changing your dates. What part of Illinois? Spent some time in the Zeilgler/Carbondale area in my drag racing days.

@Dschwan - im from the Champaign area. I have been to the races down near Benton at the old I57 strip when i was younger.

Gerbdog

WKR
Already coaching another beginner this year so im out of room in the woods, hard enough to stay quiet with 1 person haha.

If you dont get someone to say "come on along" i would say you should still come out and go hunting, even if its solo. Any experience is better than no experience when it comes to overcoming the learning curve

Reactions: WRM
My experience with hunting “partners” so far has echoed your current experience - most are absolute flakes. Sure - they’ll be good for a hunt here or there, but most people like talking about the idea of hunting more than they actually like hunting.

With that said, if it were me I’d go solo and not look back. It sucks to hinge your hunts on someone else going or not going… here’s a perfect opportunity to get acquainted with solo hunting.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Just go solo in CO, you'll learn a ton. I'd be fine tagging along on someone's glory tag to help fill, but if I have a chance to have a bow in my hand...I'm going to have a bow in my hand.

OP
Howell81

Howell81

FNG
My wife is really not keen on me going by myself and if i want to keep heading out on far away excursions i need to have her mind at ease. Plus i am leaving here home alone with 4 children so i don't want to add anymore undo stress. I used the garmin inreach the past couple years but she still has voiced her unhappiness on me going alone. Going with a complete stranger might not be any better, but i think mass murders don't really visit hunting sites to prey on poor lonely hunters.

I tried to do a 3 day Whitetail hunt in southern Illinois (just 4 hours from home) and it totally sucked. i gave up after 2 days. I hate being by myself and the idea of being in the unknown mountains in a tent in the dark all alone really doesn't appeal to me. (the boogie man is out there....i know it) Plus you all have animals bigger than coyotes.

KHNC

WKR
I think if you want to get a tag, CO is your only option. Unless you are just talking as a tag along.

OP
Howell81

Howell81

FNG
I think if you want to get a tag, CO is your only option. Unless you are just talking as a tag along.
At this point i would just rather tag along with a group. I have enough venison and more coming later this year so meat isn't really needed.

Marble

WKR
My wife is really not keen on me going by myself and if i want to keep heading out on far away excursions i need to have her mind at ease. Plus i am leaving here home alone with 4 children so i don't want to add anymore undo stress. I used the garmin inreach the past couple years but she still has voiced her unhappiness on me going alone. Going with a complete stranger might not be any better, but i think mass murders don't really visit hunting sites to prey on poor lonely hunters.

I tried to do a 3 day Whitetail hunt in southern Illinois (just 4 hours from home) and it totally sucked. i gave up after 2 days. I hate being by myself and the idea of being in the unknown mountains in a tent in the dark all alone really doesn't appeal to me. (the boogie man is out there....i know it) Plus you all have animals bigger than coyotes.
I get the hesitation and fear of the woods at night with the larger animals. But even with a partner the same dangers exist. And even though they exist, it is something you need to find a better solution for.

The chance of being attacked or bitten by a shark, snake, lion or bear in any lifetime is insignificant.

You'll be fine by yourself, you just need to be convinced of it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
Howell81

Howell81

FNG
Not really the creatures in the dark woods that was more of a little joke. Although they prolly will cause some uneasy rest here and there. Its more of the scenario that if something happens you are alone. Years ago i was out with a buddy and I rolled my ankle pretty good. it actually made a good pop sound and swelled up the size of my calves. What happens if i fall and/or break something? Also, i am not sure i can get any size elk back to the truck before spoilage. Remember i can only go the first 10 days of the season. Temps are usually mid 80s+.

Do i have fears being 1200miles from home in mountains that i really know nothing about and all alone. yes. Do i need to conquer them? Not really. I prefer the company of others and i am holding out hope that a group will take me in. If not then i will surely find something else to do this year. I have 4 kids at home so football and fall sports are rampant in my household. Family time is always treasured and sorely missed when i took my last 2 trips out west.

Bottom line is hunting alone is just not something i would enjoy.

Do i have fears being 1200miles from home in mountains that i really know nothing about and all alone. yes. Do i need to conquer them? Not really. .
I don't blame you. This would make me nervous as well. If I didn't grow up in the mountains I could see it being daunting to do alone.

Hope you find what you're looking for, buddy. If you get a tag and hunt alone you could meet someone out there. Getting an elk out alone isn't impossible. You just have to know your limits.

It's all priorities for sure.
At the risk of sounding callous.. if someone told me they are scared to hunt alone. I wouldn't trust them to have my back in the woods.
It can get sketchy for sure. But if my partner isn't up to it I may as well be alone anyway.

I have 4 kids at home so football and fall sports are rampant in my household. Family time is always treasured and sorely missed when i took my last 2 trips out west.
My advice would be to wait until your kids are old enough to hunt with you and go that route. Obviously you miss family time, why try and fight it? Thats not a knock on you - you love your family. Get them involved ASAP - they'll likely be more reliable than any hunting partners you can dredge up on the internet.

I typed the long response below before I seen this post - I'm gonna leave it as advice for others.

It takes acclimating just like anything else. The only animals I'd concern myself with are grizzlies, and AFAIK Colorado is grizzly free for now. My state(Washington) just has black bears which I'm not in the least amount scared of, as well as wolves and cougars. I don't worry about the cougars, either.

I'll agree that sometimes, during some hunts it can be boring... bear hunting especially. You're sitting on a hillside waiting for yogi to pop out somewhere. During those times I'll have books downloaded on my phone to read off-and-on while glassing. Coming back to camp after hunting, its getting your dinner cooked up(if you didn't eat while you were out) and then turning in. If you find it hard to sleep you can do more reading, listen to ebooks/podcasts, or have some movies downloaded to your phone.

Upgrade your Inreach plan to unlimited and you can shoot the breeze with your wife while you're out... its well worth the extra money. I downgrade my plan to the basic plan during the offseason to offset the costs, but during season I'm able to communicate whenever/wherever.

The first night is the hardest - I usually take Benadryl to help carry me off to sleep... once I'm over that hump I'm golden.

Another thing is having a comfortable camp setup. While backpacking is a slightly different story, if I'm hunting out of my truck I have a fat mattress that's seriously 95% of the way to my mattress at home(Thermarest Mondoking), I bring the pillow off my bed, and I have one of those massive mountain trapper sleeping bags. If its during late fall/winter I have stove jacks in a few of my tents - another "activity" once back at camp to stave off any boredom.

I have no advice on the wife - maybe talking with her and seeing what you could do to make her feel more comfortable with the idea? My wife is perfectly fine with me being out by myself.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Chad, for some reason getting guys in Illinois to commit to going out west is tough. Had more guys bale on me over the years than I care to count.
I’m headed to Wyoming this year, so won’t do you much good. Maybe next year. Planning on Colorado if New Mexico falls through again.