Looking to replace my backcountry stove

BSLugnut

FNG
Currently, I have these Jetboil stoves:

Sol Ti
Flash Cooking System
SUMO Cooking System

And the SOTO Micro Regulator Stove as the backup.

These stoves function just fine, just not happy with their stance on hunting.

I like the idea of the canister stove, that has the pot attach to stove.

I rarely go above 10k' in elevation.

I looking for some recommendations on a replacement stove.

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
MSR Reactor and Windburner have solid reviews from what I've seen. I put a Windburner on my Christmas list this year. MSR seems to be a company that supports the hunting community.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
Noticed Aron using the primus lite plus on a mule deer hunt. Cited the same reason as you for getting away from jb.

bsnedeker

WKR
I have the bigger version of the MSR windburner...awesome stove! You need to light it manually, but I always have a lighter in my pocket when hunting so that's no big deal. It boils water incredibly fast, even when sitting up on an extremely windy glassing knob.

The only thing I don't like about it is the plastic cup that comes with it. If I wasn't careful that cup would get pushed up into a groove in the stove and got extremely difficult to remove. I just pulled that cup off as I never found myself using it anyway as a solo hunter.

OP
B

BSLugnut

FNG
Both the MSR WindBurner and Primus Lite+ look like bomber options from their spec sheets.

For those that have used the MSR WindBurner, does it have an internal ignition system?

I didn't see any mention of an ignition system on MSR WindBurner's webpage.

I'm not sure of the pros/cons of not having an internal ignition system, aside from convenience.

I'm not up on the politics of the stove world. Just curious as to what statements/actions have led people to believe JetBoil does not support hunting but MSR does?

N2TRKYS

WKR
If you like what you have, why not keep using it? You already gave them your money. Not trying to start an argument, but I'd run the stove I already have good luck with until it broke.

TravisIN

WKR
If you like what you have, why not keep using it? You already gave them your money. Not trying to start an argument, but I'd run the stove I already have good luck with until it broke.

That’s where I’m at with it. Thinking about getting something different just bc my Jb flash isn’t the smallest stove out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BSLugnut

FNG
Belly-deep, sorry for the delay in response.
I sold the Sol Ti, as a friend made an offer on it, I couldn't pass on.

- - - Updated - - -

N2TRKYS, you do have a valid point and one that I struggle with, much like Patagonia.
I have friends who love to post pics wearing Patagonia on hunting trips, just to tic them off.
I will probably keep the Flash at this point, for large groups in camp as I sold the Sol Ti unexpectedly.
I also like to see what newer tech is available as well.

TravisIN

WKR
Belly-deep, sorry for the delay in response.
I sold the Sol Ti, as a friend made an offer on it, I couldn't pass on.

- - - Updated - - -

N2TRKYS, you do have a valid point and one that I struggle with, much like Patagonia.
I have friends who love to post pics wearing Patagonia on hunting trips, just to tic them off.
I will probably keep the Flash at this point, for large groups in camp as I sold the Sol Ti unexpectedly.
I also like to see what newer tech is available as well.

My wife loves Patagonia stuff. It’s obviously super nice and since the ceo went to the BHA rendezvous to promote everyone working together to support public lands I don’t have issues with it. Thought that was a respectable move. I do my best to try not to give my money to companies who are against things I believe in but it’s pretty much impossible to do anymore. Hahaha another reason I enjoy classifieds and eBay. Technically “i” didn’t give them any money

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
Both the MSR WindBurner and Primus Lite+ look like bomber options from their spec sheets.

For those that have used the MSR WindBurner, does it have an internal ignition system?

I didn't see any mention of an ignition system on MSR WindBurner's webpage.

I'm not sure of the pros/cons of not having an internal ignition system, aside from convenience.

The MSR Windburner doesn't have an ignition system. This is why I went with the new version of the Pocket Rocket 2. It has an ignitions system.

Also, the guys on Back County podcast did a review recently of cook stoves. JB didn't wish to partake in this review. Steve and Mark didn't really want to get into as why. They kinda left it up to the listener to figure out.

bsnedeker

WKR
My wife loves Patagonia stuff. It’s obviously super nice and since the ceo went to the BHA rendezvous to promote everyone working together to support public lands I don’t have issues with it. Thought that was a respectable move. I do my best to try not to give my money to companies who are against things I believe in but it’s pretty much impossible to do anymore. Hahaha another reason I enjoy classifieds and eBay. Technically “i” didn’t give them any money

I have the wind burner and it has never been an issue not having an igniter. I keep a mini bic in my pocket at all times and carry two other full size lighters between my pack and bino harness. If you don't carry lighters it could be an issue I suppose.

Jet boil has some anti hunting history so they don't get my business.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I just bought a Kovea Spider stove on MD to use when it gets below 20 or want to cook. I have a MSR reactor which I like but want to try something a bit smaller. Also going to try to change what I eat and got something that I can cook with instead of just boiling water. Inverted stoves are supposed to work better in freezing temps than regular canister stoves and that sounded like a good thing to try. Stove packs small and will fit into my MSR Titan and 1.3 liter pot. Personally, I am not sold on ignitors but I have stoves with them. I always carry a lighter regardless.

OP
B

BSLugnut

FNG
For those of you who get the opportunity to get at or above the 10k' in elevation, does a Piezo ignition system provide any benefit over a Bic lighter?
How about temps around the freezing mark and at the 7-9k' in elevation?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those of you who get the opportunity to get at or above the 10k' in elevation, does a Piezo ignition system provide any benefit over a Bic lighter?

I left my stove out overnight around 8k. We had a soft freeze and I had to thaw the burner with a bic. Took about ten minutes to get it lit then another fifteen of the stove somewhat burning before getting back to normal. No problem with the canister (left attached overnight).

Mosby

WKR
BSLugnut,

I personally do not like piezo lighters if only because I have had some bad luck with them not working after awhile, especially in cold, wet weather. I carry a bic but I also bring a ferocium rod which I use to light my stove as well. It always works.

16Bore

WKR
Or you could look at it as a smack in their face to use it while hunting.

Politics seldom makes my buying decision.

But that's me.

I had one stove with Piezo ignition and it went out pretty quickly. Since I am bringing a lighter any for a backup I figure why do both?

Msr reactor is a little heavy, but pretty much bomb proof.

I always have a bic with me for general use, and then those windproof matches as backup.