Looking to try out firstlite

Hey everyone, I'm looking at trying some firstlite clothing for the upcoming hunting season here in Alberta. Was wondering what are some must have pieces and what there sizing is like? I'm 5'11 205 and have a 34" waist, In kuiu I wear xl tops and large bottoms and I'm the same in sitka all my tops are a xl and fit good so wondering what I should order for firstlite cause I've heard they fit bigger then kuiu and sitka.

I would say they fit slightly bigger than Sitka or Kuiu but most of the pieces in the last couple years haVe become pretty spot on. My favorite pieces are all the aerowool layers. They dry quickly, breath great, and have lots of stretch. I enjoy their Klamath grid wool, uncompadre has a place. Tag cuff beanie is great. Tons of stretch and warm. Spot and stalk the Obsidion merino pant is money just not for briars. Not the biggest fan of the guide pants but many enjoy them. I wear a kiln hoodie almost daily. Essentially first lites merino is second to none that I have found.

I wear XL in all my Sitka stuff. Bought an Uncompahgre puffy in XL and it’s definitely a size bigger. I can tolerate it since it’s an outer layer, but I would’ve preferred a large. I prefer clothes I can try on in person and then order with my discounts. I may try again with Kuiu, time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
You could probably make due with large everything. I have large pants (Corrugate Guide, catalyst and Uncomphagre) and XL jackets (catalyst and Uncomphagre) and I feel that I should have gotten Large instead. I’m 5’9” and 220lbs. For other sizing references I just got my Wick Tshirt (150 aerowool) and fuse long sleeve (200 aero wool) today and both are size large and fit great. I would follow their sizing guide as I foolishly thought I needed to size up for layers.... they account for that. However the cuffs on both jackets are tight enough that the excess sleeve length doesn’t come down and cover your hands. The jackets are just longer than needed and very loose through the chest and stomach (I have a 44in chest and 40in stomach) but the tight sleeve mean you can still function, I shoot my bow with mine on.

Catahoula

WKR
I have all of the FL base layers they offer. Great fit and thus far no issues. I have a mix of FL outerwear. I do like very much. Fit in general have found to be spot on. I have mostly outerwear for early season to second season rifle. Nothing heavy. That’s all I can tell you.

OP
Schiltroth7
I would say they fit slightly bigger than Sitka or Kuiu but most of the pieces in the last couple years haVe become pretty spot on. My favorite pieces are all the aerowool layers. They dry quickly, breath great, and have lots of stretch. I enjoy their Klamath grid wool, uncompadre has a place. Tag cuff beanie is great. Tons of stretch and warm. Spot and stalk the Obsidion merino pant is money just not for briars. Not the biggest fan of the guide pants but many enjoy them. I wear a kiln hoodie almost daily. Essentially first lites merino is second to none that I have found.

Awesome thanks! Most of the pieces you listed are all stuff I've been looking at especially the klamath and the obsidian pants.

OP
Schiltroth7
I wear XL in all my Sitka stuff. Bought an Uncompahgre puffy in XL and it’s definitely a size bigger. I can tolerate it since it’s an outer layer, but I would’ve preferred a large. I prefer clothes I can try on in person and then order with my discounts. I may try again with Kuiu, time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah it is nice to try them on first but up here in Alberta the only stuff you can find is a few bits and pieces of sitka and kuiu and firstlite are direct to consumer which I do like and for me all the duty fees are added into the total cost unlike sitka . No one I know haS any firstlite to try on.

Block

WKR
I want those new zip up compression pants when they come out ! Those look awesome

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
I own wick boxers, long sleeve crew, and hoody, as well as kiln hoody. They are all awesome and incredibly comfy. And they are in solids, which is good because they get a lot of use in everyday life. I actually love working out in the wick tops. Keeps me comfy in a huge range of temps.

A note on the undershorts. I ordered the regular boxer brief, because I’m not a particularly tall dude. They’re too short and they ride up something fierce. Tried out their long boxer brief. The longer length and somewhat snug leg keeps them from riding up. Perfect.

I don’t own any of their pants or outer layers. I am interested in trying those at some point. I’ll be watching this thread for input on that. Thanks.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone, I'm looking at trying some firstlite clothing for the upcoming hunting season here in Alberta. Was wondering what are some must have pieces and what there sizing is like? I'm 5'11 205 and have a 34" waist, In kuiu I wear xl tops and large bottoms and I'm the same in sitka all my tops are a xl and fit good so wondering what I should order for firstlite cause I've heard they fit bigger then kuiu and sitka.
You’ll need a large in everything besides sanctuary bibs and Klamath. I have most of their stuff and basically your exact size

C.payne

WKR
I have owned many First lite pieces over the years. Their sizing has definitely been one of their only negatives. I live in BC and have shipped many items back to exchange for a new size. That being said any items in the last few years have fit very close to size. If you are ordering a long standing piece that has not been refreshed (called 2.0) just be cautious and know it will most likely fit big.
I would say you would be a large in their clothes.
I have many items but my favourites are: the wick hoody, fuse hoody, tag cuff beanie, catalyst pants for late season and the uncompaghre puffy (old version).
Overall great clothes, great company and the customer service has always been very easy to work with on exchanges. So other than it costing a little bit to ship the package back. I wouldn't be too concerned if you had to exchange something.

Hondo

WKR
Regarding First Lite sizing, be sure to read the reviews of each item you are looking at buying. Many of the reviews contain the height and weight of the person as well as the size of the First Lite garment.

JAD915

Lil-Rokslider
FL makes some great gear. I think their merino wool base layers are the best you'll find. I'm a tall guy, so I really appreciate companies that offer tall sizing. I would say you'd wear larges in nearly every piece they make, with the exception of the Klamath and maybe the Uncompahgre (two great pieces). I really like the Corrugate Guide pants as well. One thing I wish they made was a rain bib. I'd even settle for tall sizing in their current rain pants.

Drenalin

WKR
I made sure to measure myself and go by the sizing charts on their website. The reviews on fit there are generally pretty accurate too. My favorite stuff from them right now is the fuse crew, sawtooth jacket (snug through the forearms though), and the merino beanie. I also had some kanab pants that were great and imagine the obsidians would be too, but I can't justify the cost of those pants. They did not hold up well hunting in brush, but they are merino pants so I shouldn't have expected them to. The old chama got a lot of love, but I hated the shooters cut...the kiln is an improvement imo.

I love the sawtooth hybrid vest... I wear it more than any hunting clothes, light, streamlined, and often that perfect extra insulation. I wear lots of first lite, I think it’s the best bang for your buck for high end camo.

That being said, I wear lots of kuiu and Sitka because no company makes the best everything.

First lite would be my choice if I had to pick one (hunting out west... Sitka would be my choice if I hunted tree stands)

DVM92

FNG
I have merino boxers, cuff beanie, kiln quarter zip, saw tooth jacket and vest as well as the catalyst jacket. I am 5' 9", 160 and wear medium everything. I just go by their sizing chart and find everything is pretty spot on. Kiln with sawtooth jacket and or vest with catalyst jacket will get me through most of the season. The saw tooth vest is my favorite and rarely leaves my body.

mcollin2

FNG
I have merino boxers, cuff beanie, kiln quarter zip, saw tooth jacket and vest as well as the catalyst jacket. I am 5' 9", 160 and wear medium everything. I just go by their sizing chart and find everything is pretty spot on. Kiln with sawtooth jacket and or vest with catalyst jacket will get me through most of the season. The saw tooth vest is my favorite and rarely leaves my body.

I have been looking at the catalyst jacket and also the solitude jacket and uncompahgre. I'm in MN mostly a stand hunter. Any experience with the solitude? Don't know if the catalyst will cover me for the whole season or if I should look into getting both, or getting an Unc 2.0 instead of solitude. It's all intriguing but the budgets not going to allow me to buy them all.

DVM92

FNG
The catalyst is not for cold weather stand hunting but rather more early season as it is fairly wind resistant and very quiet. I would go with the solitude which is specific for your requirements and use the merino base with sawtooth vest or jacket for early season. The uncompahgre is not very quiet although I hear the 2.0 is better in this area. I would get into a good base and midlayer and use the Solitude to cover the cold later season.