Looks like my TrailCam died. How long do they typically last for?

TheGDog

WKR
So as the title says, one of the TrailCams died.

How long do they typically last for?

For some of us who haven't been at this as long as the rest of you, we don't have a point of reference, in order to be able to determine "Boy! That was fast! Not buying this brand again." vs "Ah dang it...oh well... it was about time anyway."

So if you can recall how long various TrailCams that have quit working, worked for. I'd appreciate if you could post that on this thread so we can all get an idea of their expected service life.

Also, if those of you with lots of experience using them can chime in terms of what you've noticed such as do they die faster when it colder climates, high winds, really hot climates? Stuff like that, would be useful, Thanks.

It's a crap shoot. I have 16 trail cameras. Three don't work anymore. When I pick a new model, I buy several the same. There is no pattern in failure by model. The ones that failed, did it fairly soon in life. Some go through batteries way faster, than others of the same model. Adding a solar battery bank fixed the battery problem. Leaving batteries in over winter, till they get they get the white-crusty stuff, is a sure way to have a problem.

TSAMP

WKR
Browning - going on 5 years. One latch broke was replaced for free.

Bushnell - going on 4 years. Replaced one cam under warranty around 1 year mark

Wildgame innovations - never more than a year

Stealthcam- around 1 year. (Cheap model that came with batteries and SD)

Moultrie - going on 3 years. If I was to purchase a cheapo that is the only brand I will touch

Muddy- 2 cams bought, both failed within 1 year and are shipped back to manufacturer. I'm told they will be replaced.

I generally pull Cams in January and deploy again around June. So not full year in elements and only use lithium batteries.

Stealthcams might as well be fire and forget. I have had very few last longer than 1 season. I have a few tasco I bought at wal mart for 30-40 bucks each 3 seasons ago that are still going strong. A real PITA to set up, but you can’t set up a stealth cam that doesn’t power on. I have a few bushnells are 3+ Years old as well. Whatever you do, pull the batteries after season is over.

So as the title says, one of the TrailCams died.

How long do they typically last for?

For some of us who haven't been at this as long as the rest of you, we don't have a point of reference, in order to be able to determine "Boy! That was fast! Not buying this brand again." vs "Ah dang it...oh well... it was about time anyway."

So if you can recall how long various TrailCams that have quit working, worked for. I'd appreciate if you could post that on this thread so we can all get an idea of their expected service life.

Also, if those of you with lots of experience using them can chime in terms of what you've noticed such as do they die faster when it colder climates, high winds, really hot climates? Stuff like that, would be useful, Thanks.
I’ve heard that most of the China made stuff is all hit and miss with function and quality

Like stated it’s basically a crap shoot. Try to keep them out of the weather as much as possible and run good batteries in them. I prefer lithiums. I’ve had some cameras run like 2 years and some still going after 8-10 years.

pk_

WKR
Browning - going on 5 years. One latch broke was replaced for free.

Bushnell - going on 4 years. Replaced one cam under warranty around 1 year mark

Wildgame innovations - never more than a year

Stealthcam- around 1 year. (Cheap model that came with batteries and SD)

Moultrie - going on 3 years. If I was to purchase a cheapo that is the only brand I will touch

Muddy- 2 cams bought, both failed within 1 year and are shipped back to manufacturer. I'm told they will be replaced.

I generally pull Cams in January and deploy again around June. So not full year in elements and only use lithium batteries.
Do you happen to know what model muddy cams? Thx

Ksfarmer

FNG
Stealth cams are hit and miss, but had several go 3 years. They like to throw the card error message.
I have had really good luck with the brownings. They take nice pics, easy to use, easy on batteries. I had some credit to burn at tractor supply, picked up a $100 browning, i normally dont buy the cheaper cams, but decided to try one. Think it was a night opps or something along those lines. Its taken over 7k pics and batteries are still truckin away. Trigger range is impressive.
Had another browning i forgot about, was out all winter. Batteries where still up, card full, and its still workin. Had over a week of lows down to -20 this year. Try a browning!

Sky Point - sucks. The rest have been great

Some I can't answer cause of thieves. I hope those broke right away.
11 years on my Stealth
4 years on Cabela brand ($99 ones)

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
These are awesome responses, since I'm oviously going to have to replace. Thanks for mentioning tht detail of brand and longevity!