Looks like Weatherby has another 6.5

amassi

WKR
YES! You are correct...That's great news actually. I don't know what I was looking at...apparently the "OAL"...My interest is peaked again...thanks for pointing this out.
If you wanted to go shorter I suspect it will hold velocity pretty well in a 18 or 20" barrel as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I wish them good luck with it, like guys have said above, more options the better IMO, its a great time to be a LR hunter/shooter.

Theres also something to be said supporting an american company where you can DM the president/owner (Adam) on Instagram and he will personally message you back ( something I have done once regarding my old MKV).

Seems like a good man, good company, supports public land hunting and its advocates. Id consider picking one up when I finally burn the barrel out of my current MKV.

Kotaman

WKR
If you wanted to go shorter I suspect it will hold velocity pretty well in a 18 or 20" barrel as well.

I will own one of these in the standard 24" offering, to play around with. Now, does anyone know when they'll be available? I've put out some "feelers"...

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
The rifle has my interest as well. I may opt for the 280AI...I think there's a few more factory ammo options and I think performance is pretty close. If i was building a rifle the 6.5 PRC is a great choice. It checks a lot of boxes for me and I think It's going to take off. I've been thinking about a M70 Action in a 6.5 PRC with a Proof Barrel...kinda my dream gun. Its a shame there's aren't more custom M70 actions. Everything is based off a Remington these days.

Kotaman

WKR
I shot Weatherby an email...They're saying mid-October for rifles and ammo for the 6.5 Weatherby RPM. Maybe the "gas pain" will go away by then. :oops:

amassi

WKR
Nice
Excited to see a range report.
I have an ultralightweight 6 LUG that's in need of a new barrel. Hoping to see some 6.5 rpm reamers hit mfgs soon.

Azone

WKR

Well here's a couple pictures to fuel the speculation. I was browsing around a gun store today deep inside liberal occupied California and started talking with the guy behind the counter and long story short here is one of the first cartridge setups of the 6.5 RPM with a 127 LRX and a highly modified .270 WBY case. Rumor has it with the WBY brass and somewhere in the low 60 grain count of RL 19 out of a 24 inch barrel it was in the 3400fps ball park before Hornady toned it down due to their brass having less capacity than the WBY brass. 109ish grain on WBY case weight and somewhere in the 120s for the Hornady brass. Hornady brass with the 127 LRX out of a 24 inch barrel was rumored to be in the mid 3200 range. So I'd imagine with a 26 inch barrel and a healthy load of powder with the Hornady brass 3400 ish fps would be obtainable. But I'm sure we will soon enough form a verdict on the 6.5 RPM. Personally I am looking forward to it if the real world numbers can match the hype.

amassi

WKR
View attachment 121185View attachment 121186

Well here's a couple pictures to fuel the speculation. I was browsing around a gun store today deep inside liberal occupied California and started talking with the guy behind the counter and long story short here is one of the first cartridge setups of the 6.5 RPM with a 127 LRX and a highly modified .270 WBY case. Rumor has it with the WBY brass and somewhere in the low 60 grain count of RL 19 out of a 24 inch barrel it was in the 3400fps ball park before Hornady toned it down due to their brass having less capacity than the WBY brass. 109ish grain on WBY case weight and somewhere in the 120s for the Hornady brass. Hornady brass with the 127 LRX out of a 24 inch barrel was rumored to be in the mid 3200 range. So I'd imagine with a 26 inch barrel and a healthy load of powder with the Hornady brass 3400 ish fps would be obtainable. But I'm sure we will soon enough form a verdict on the 6.5 RPM. Personally I am looking forward to it if the real world numbers can match the hype.
Hmmm
Looks like turners, which one? Haha

amassi

WKR

Hmmm
Looks like turners, which one? Haha
Also is this insider suggesting this is a joint venture with hornady and their engineers but they agreed to factory offerings of barnes and nosler bullets? Inquiring minds want to know.

A magnum belted case seems like an odd place to start a non-magnum, non belted cartridge.. But then, I'm not sure what else you'd use for a parent case on this, it's kind of an odd ball. Hornady involvement sounds odd too.

The cartridge is it’s own design and isn’t formed from any other case. The case head and base dimensions are the same as a 284win but the case length is much longer and therefore can be formed from them.
Also it doesn’t have the typical WBY freebore but more of a standard freebore.

amassi

WKR
A magnum belted case seems like an odd place to start a non-magnum, non belted cartridge.. But then, I'm not sure what else you'd use for a parent case on this, it's kind of an odd ball. Hornady involvement sounds odd too.
Agreed plus this new cartridge has a rebated rim and fits on a 6 lug action.

The cartridge shown and youd end up with 6.5x257 capacity and 3400 fps with a 127, not 3200.

The hornady involvement has me the most thrown
Why help make a cartridge so similar to your prc line and then agree to let weatherby license bullets from your competitors. I bet if hornady had anything to do with this the factory offerings would be
Gxm
Interbond
Interlock
Eld-x

amassi

WKR
The cartridge is it’s own design and isn’t formed from any other case. The case head and base dimensions are the same as a 284win but the case length is much longer and therefore can be formed from them.
Also it doesn’t have the typical WBY freebore but more of a standard freebore.
Just to clarify, this new case CAN NOT be formed from 284 win or 6.5-284 correct ?