Looks like Weatherby has another 6.5

The cartridge is it’s own design and isn’t formed from any other case. The case head and base dimensions are the same as a 284win but the case length is much longer and therefore can be formed from them.
Also it doesn’t have the typical WBY freebore but more of a standard freebore.

The more I think about it, the more I like this case design. Standard bolt face but fatter than 06 based designs. The 284's have always been cool in that way, now with more horsepower.

Azone

WKR
The first cases were based off of the 25/27/28 cal wby mag family of cases by turning the belt off with a lathe and narrowing down the rim on a lathe as well from what I was told. Then fire forming to a RPM chamber.
Hornady got the brass deal for it because Norma and Weatherby could not come to terms on a agreement for production. The Hornady ammo is "lawyer approved" there for not getting the results Weatherby was getting in its testing. I will be swinging back by this store in a couple days to gather more information to post up.
For what it's worth the source of this information was one of the ballastic techs that designed the cartridge.
Anything in specific you guys would want me to ask on my next visit?
For what it's worth guys, I'm not trying to stir the pot either, just sharing what I was told by this guy.

EmperorMA

WKR
I like everything about this cartridge and Weatherby’s thought process through the design.

The thing that worries me, though, is that they essentially have only one competitor in the “fast 6.5” space and in order to keep ammo costs down, they chose Hornady brass which gives them less capacity than Norma or Nosler brass and makes this new, standard-action length cartridge perform about the same as that sole competitor, the 6.5 PRC, which can work in a short action.

I mean, what’s not to love about .264 Win Mag performance in a non-belted, standard length / boltface cartridge? However, Weatherby needs to sell rifles to survive. It won’t make any money off hand loaders who rebarrel an old .30-06 or re-bore/re-chamber a shot out .25-06. They are going to need to offer Vanguards in the new cartridge to go along with these nice little ULWs to make it work.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Let's try and keep the speculation to a minimum. The story of a ballistics tech who supposedly helped develop this, but is now working at a retail store above is simply unfounded until proven otherwise. Hornady doesnt quietly roll out cartridges and weatherby isn't being shy in the least about this new round. In the last year weatherby has loudly announced every new partnership they've had so it wouldnt make sense that they would keep a hornady partnership quiet as part of this launch which happens to directly compete with hornadys prc line. Further, using 270wby brass to form into this even as a prototype seems like theres dozens of better alternatives like a donor cartridge with no belt, magnum rim and double radius shoulder. That's alot of brass to trim down with especially thick brass around the shoulder

To be clear- I wish hornady loaded more weatherby ammo, I find their factory ammo to be inexpensive and very accurate.
Also, weatherby has reduced the price of their ammo and rifles. This cartridge is available in the weathermark and street price on them is around $1150. So not bad compared to other high end production rifles. Once reamers become more prevalent it'll make for an easy tikka rebarrel for those looking to go semi custom. I'm sure it will land in the vanguard soon, the 6.5-300 took a year before it rolled out in the vanguard.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve put about a hundred rounds through mine. Jury is still out on whether it will replace my PRC’s on the sheep mountain. Mine is very accurate for a 5 lb rifle. Recoil is more than anticipated out of the lightweight Back Country Ti. Bolt is pretty rough compared to my custom PRC’s. Shooting the factory 127 LRX, I’m a little under the 3200 FPS specs they’re publishing for this round. In fact my PRC‘s are within 100 FPS of this round with a shorter barrel.

Like is stated above, the Weatherby Back Country Ti in 6.5 RPM is going to “check a lot of boxes“ for the oz counting mountain hunter. I just think for me, I can get almost the same performance in a PRC is a shorter, less recoiling package.

LightFoot

WKR
I’ve put about a hundred rounds through mine. Jury is still out on whether it will replace my PRC’s on the sheep mountain. Mine is very accurate for a 5 lb rifle. Recoil is more than anticipated out of the lightweight Back Country Ti. Bolt is pretty rough compared to my custom PRC’s. Shooting the factory 127 LRX, I’m a little under the 3200 FPS specs they’re publishing for this round. In fact my PRC‘s are within 100 FPS of this round with a shorter barrel.

Like is stated above, the Weatherby Back Country Ti in 6.5 RPM is going to “check a lot of boxes“ for the oz counting mountain hunter. I just think for me, I can get almost the same performance in a PRC is a shorter, less recoiling package.
Do you have any issues with the recoil pad? I have been looking hard at them and finally got to see on locally. The shop is sending everyone they ordered back to Weatherby because the recoil pad is deforming while sitting the shelf. (Shop said that Weatherby is telling dealers and customers to "store or display them barrel down." I am glad I got to see it first hand.
bf4b31fde57958473e74390882be09ed.jpg

>>>----JAKE----->

tam9492

WKR
I’m looking at a Weathermark LT. Its a pound heavier at 5.9#, and it has their traditional pad. Should make a difference for recoil.

Kotaman

WKR
Do you have any issues with the recoil pad? I have been looking hard at them and finally got to see on locally. The shop is sending everyone they ordered back to Weatherby because the recoil pad is deforming while sitting the shelf. (Shop said that Weatherby is telling dealers and customers to "store or display them barrel down." I am glad I got to see it first hand.
bf4b31fde57958473e74390882be09ed.jpg

>>>----JAKE----->

mine is exactly the same...doesn’t seem to affect anything, but I’d expect better out of an expensive rifle.

khuber84

WKR
Is the RPM case the same length as 30-06? Or is is bumped back a little to accommodate longer bullets and still fit in a mag?
It's essentially a stretched 6.5x284 @ 2.56" long. One the largest cases on the -06 case head. Personally I'd rather have a magnum case head to handle pressure better. The loads from Wby don't impress me at all. I can push 122gr copper solids over 3300 fps in my 23" 6.5 prc. 6.5 saum is even faster. The did design the freebore properly @ 0.188"(same as prc) but loaded to lands will more than likely have you longer than the magazine on a mkv 6 lug action.

Merlin

FNG
Any update on the 6.5 Wby RPM? Are you still using the rifle? Do you like the 127 or 140 factory ammo better? Thanks.

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
I’m still shooting the rifle. I have not hunted with it yet as I just don’t love the bolt throw as well as my customs. Gun is plenty accurate with the 127 LRX factory loads. It’s a really nice rifle but the bolt is rough compared to what I’m used to.

Last edited:

Merlin

FNG
I’m still shooting the rifle. I have not hunted with it yet as I just don’t love the bolt throw as well as my customs. Gun is plenty accurate with the 127 LRX factory loads. It’s a really nice rifle but the bolt is rough compared to what I’m used to.
Thanks!

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
At this point people will buy it just because 6.5

actually there is some marketing logic here, think how the world would be different if marketing people new the power that the 6.5 thing would hold...... 6.5new coke, 6.5apr, 6.5pepsizero, 6.5ford pinto, 6.5blackberry, 6.5hillary etc etc